VDSL is coming | Recent telecom news

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

VDSL is coming | Recent telecom news

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

For years, government was deploying new fiber telephone cables and network exchanges, promising much higher speeds than 16Mbps on a telephone line, which is not possible via ADSL and what comes to the mind was, where is VDSL? It is long awaited, coming to Nicosia and Kyrenia. You can find preliminary information about speed and prices on some ISP's site. Right now, you can pre-signup for to see if it's near to you (more than 1km to the DSLAM cabinet is bad) and possibly get it connected when it becomes available. Prices are on point and really affordable for its speeds (24-34Mbps) and I'm pretty sure it will all be stable and fixed like it was in ADSL. No quota and fair usage policy, again like in ADSL. So, angry customers, who are currently subscribed with WISP's that overload their sector antennas and poorly organize service (speed/latency) quality, have chance for a solid internet service.

As a side note, there are fiber internet service for apartments and sites, but I suspect they have quota, which is ridiculously funny, as even in Turkey for the last 1-2 year, fair usage policy will be long gone at the end of the year, and it is already removed by few ISPs like Turknet. So, also thinking that the speed in fiber doesn't play well with price, VDSL becomes the best choice in TRNC, unless you are a university or else.

Few days ago, in news, it's stated that the undersea cable internet capacity which we buy from TR will be doubled, and the cost will be reduced by half. Means that (W)ISPs are going to pay way less for what they are getting from our telecom or pay same for higher speeds for their backbone. Apparently, this also should help customers like us, so we are gonna pay less for what we get, or get higher speeds at same price. But I'm not optimistic about this at all. Pay less? Maybe a little, but I doubt it because companies became pro at blaming the currency, even when they do not pay foreign currency for their service etc. Get higher speeds? Not possible with the current sector antennas with multiple users on them, they get pegged very easily as they lack technological advances, so... need for pricey hardware... is a dead loop for WISPs.

Looking forward to VDSL in my area.
I Walk Alone

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: VDSL is coming | Recent telecom news

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Perhaps some of the ISP’s may wish to comment ahead of rolling out whatever improvements they are planning!!!

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

As I expected, ISP union announced this (https://www.facebook.com/kktcissbirligi ... 464852823/). How pathetic this is... Needless to say they don't ever act organized, but lower internet costs will benefit them surely, just not us.
I Walk Alone

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

And how many of us actually have a telephone landline? How many of could have one installed even if we wanted to? At one time, and it may still apply, there simply wasn't enough telephone lines from the telephone exchanges available due to the poor state of the equipment.

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

Hector wrote:And how many of us actually have a telephone landline? How many of could have one installed even if we wanted to? At one time, and it may still apply, there simply wasn't enough telephone lines from the telephone exchanges available due to the poor state of the equipment.
That's another thing to consider for ADSL/VDSL, but in general due to the reduced transit internet costs from TTNet, all subscribers (telephone/WiFi) must pay less or get better service. Seems like its not going to happen.
I Walk Alone

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

as for VDSL
1. No plans to bring phone lines to those who currently doesnt have one if it requires major investment.
2. If you are within an actual coverage area, you can now apply to get a phone line for just 75TL. Previously first person to apply phone line would be required to pay for the whole apartment/complex cables.
3. VDSL system only works efficiently 500m from the exchange (some say 1000m), so a lot needs to be set up to provide islandwide coverage. Currently a few is being tested in Lefkosa and Girne.
4. Government currently plans to take out and sell existing copper cables as scraps to make money for new fiberoptic cables. They claim all will be done and outstanding coverage will be achieved by end of 2019. Whether that is true or not we will have to all wait and see.

New costs for Internet from Turkey for ISPs have just been annoucned and we will be charged new prices starting this next month.

MM will be paying approx 18% less in Internet costs.
In MM Internet cost is also approx 15% of the total monthly operational costs.
Therefore in an ideal world, this would equate to under 3% reduction in customer prices, thats it. Unfortunately we are not living in an ideal world.

MM service of Gold Package of 1200TL per year was equal to 375Euros just under 2 years ago, now its less than 175euros.

Internet companies have almost all their costs pegged to foreign currencies except for Turk Telekom and salaries, and even salaries needs to be adjusted regularly to economical conditions. So no, we are not blaming anything, just calculating our costs, put up a modest profit and we resell the service.

As I said, with Wireless Internet, what we pay to the Telekoms for Internet is just 15% of all costs, but the situation is completely different with ADSL/VDSL.

ADSL/VDSL is a system where ISPs purchase Internet, connect it to the main switch of telekoms in lefkosa, and they can resell service to anyone with a phone line. All the infrastructure is paid for and maintained by the telekoms. so the costs are much much lower. Its an ISPs dream to sell customers ADSL/VDSL but unfortunately the reality is different.

When MM was first set up, we used to sell 4Mbps ADSL to customers at 250TL/year, however, at about 500 customers, we had to give up. ADSL was a system that was supposed to support upto 20Mbps, but it wasnt working properly at 4. When a customer had problems, there was nothing we could to other than report it to Telekoms and it would take them days, if not weeks to go and check the connection, sometimes blaming us, the ISP when the problem was clearly on their end. When it was 2:01pm on friday, you wouldnt be able to find anyone even to ask a single question until next monday and both ISP and the customer were left in the dark now knowing what the problem was. One of the main problems was that the ISPs do not even have the access to the basic port information of any customer, or informed about any issues, so we were trying to determine what could be wrong with a specific customer by checking connection status of customers in the same area.

As the ISP Union, we have oficially offered Telekom to sit down and write an interface that will operate between Telekom and ISPs and even end users of ADSL/VDSL so customer status/problems can be viewed and support tickets can be raised and progress followed online. It was positively received but we are yet to commence meetings about it.

Wireless Internet is a gateway technology, it has been for every country, until something better comes along. It is rough, expensive and difficult to manage. All EU countries, even eastern europe countries have moved on to something better since early 2000s, but we couldnt...

It is not Wireless ISPs fault that we are in this situation, we have been doing all we could with no support from anybody, there are currently more than 30 providers and the market is quite competitive. Currently the average revenue per user ARPU in europe for fixed broadband is 34.5Euros, in TRNC, it is about 14 euros, when pretty much everything is more expensive here... https://www.statista.com/statistics/691 ... in-europe/

Trust me, we are looking forward to proper VDSL in the whole island... I just wouldnt hold my breath just yet.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”