BBCi player and ITV catch up

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

BBCi player and ITV catch up

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I know this has been discussed many times before but one thing I want to check. Have had enormous help from Erol on this but don't like to keep bothering him.

So thinking of using a dns service because my vpn doesn't fool either BBC or ITV but don't you have to state that you have a TV licence? As when I log onto the beeb it knows who I am but if I clear my cookies and go back through dns/vpn would it know who I am then and do you have to give any details to identify and address in the UK?

Views assistance appreciated.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: BBCi player and ITV catch up

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The reason that they ask you for a UK postcode is so that they can deliver the correct 'Regional' programmes to you.

I always use W1A 1AA as my postcode and get to see 'London' News programmes - after all, there's no reason why someone actually in the BBC's own building wouldn't want to watch, is there? There is no way to correlate your physical location to your email address, and provided that you use a Smart DNS or VPN service, your IP address shouldn't give your location away either.

'Logging in' with your name/email address so that the system recognises you is fine - I've never had it cause me a problem.

You do have to state that you have a TV licence, but there is no sort of 'check' on this - it is entirely up to your own conscience.

I did post on this a while ago here - at the time the Multimax VPN was up and running, but now you should either find another one or use a Smart DNS...

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Keith thanks for that most helpful. I won't have a problem with my conscience and will sleep soundly I am sure.#

EDIT: Having just read the linked thread which of course if getting old now I feel things have moved on a bit. We still have a property in the UK and did have a TV licence there but we cancelled it. I was managing to view i player on my laptop with a vpn but very soon afterwards got an email saying that I did not have a licence for my UK property and that a licence was needed to view TV even on iplayer.

So sort of answering my own question here a bit it looks like they can tell if you have a licence or not via your email address as the ip address was behind a vpn at the time. Hmm so still need to think about this a bit more.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi, if you had registered using an email address and given them a specific UK postal address to match it up with, then of course they can look at that data.

Create a new Gmail address - '[email protected]', or whatever you like, and use that instead

You can have as many email addresses as you want - they don't cost anything!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I have two addresses one of which hasn't been used for the beeb and just managed to register with that but my vpn ipvanish isn't clever enough to fool them. Looking at the dns stuff tomorrow.
Last edited by Chriswright03 on Wed 17 Oct 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Chriswright03 wrote:I ahve two addresses one of which hasn't been used for the beeb and just managed to register with that but my vpn ipvanish isn't clever enough to fool them. Looking at the dns stuff tomorrow.
I tried out quite a few on a trial basis, before finally signing up with smartdnsproxy.com on a 2 year plan. Certainly works with BBC as well as other UK channels so far (6 weeks +14 day trial). I'd advise you to try out several on a free trial basis, one at a time, to maximise your free time, and see how they work for you, before you plunge in.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Good idea and what I planned to do to start with even if I just try one or two. We do not watch much tv and what we do is mostly on catch up as we are early birds so not up late at night and 9pm UK time is way too late for us! We do try to see stuff on Kodi but of late it can take longer to get a programme to work than to watch it and for my sanity and the safety of the tv it is best I find a solution.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

Keithcaley wrote:
Create a new Gmail address - '[email protected]', or whatever you like, and use that instead
why are you using my email address?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Well, I wouldn't want to use mine, would I?

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”