Skype Problem

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Skype Problem

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

In their infinite wisdom Skype downloaded their latest version on to my laptop yesterday evening before I could hit the NO or Quit key. As a result its a mess. I've sorted most things out but am stuck on a message saying your microphone needs adjusting, but as I had made a call about half an hour earlier I know there is nothing wrong with laptop microphone. all I get after making the test call is a loud hissing sound, Message says to check my own Audio system, but am loathe to start messing around with it. Actually I'd prefer to uninstall this latest version but Google instructions don't seem to work, despite fact I clicked on uninstall on Windows 10.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Skype Problem

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Try to 'restore' your computer to an earlier restore point. It may help.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Problem with that tomsteel, is that I would eradicate anything else that I might want to keep.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Save a backup copy.

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

I had that problem. I just uninstalled SKYPE and then downloaded it via Goggle and it worked fine, so try that.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks for that advice pc, I was going to go that lane myself I suspect. Will it mean I have to change any details i.e. Skype name, passwords etc and can I be assured I won't lose my 50 or more contacts.

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

No mine came back complete but with the microphone working

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Don't knows when you carried out your procedure pc, but it's telling me I can only reinstall via Facebook. Can't believe that's correct, it must be possible to reinstall direct from Skype. B******y Facebook is beginning to rule our lives. There are a number of bloggers around the world who have deleted Facebook, only to find their WhatsApp and Instagram accounts are playing up because they are owned by Facebook. We're doomed I say, doomed!!!

ScubaBoy9
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by ScubaBoy9 »

You should be able to download the desktop version here
https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/down ... r-desktop/

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Sadly this hasn't worked. What downloads is the very latest version and its still saying there is something wrong with my device's microphone and I don't hear my own voice playing back to me. Not sure who to approach to get into my microphone gubbins. When I'm speaking its registering on the screen (dots going back and forth) but doesn't play back. I've tried allowing Skype automatically and manually to adjust the microphone but that doesn't work either. Obviously I need someone who knows more than I do. I use Skype a lot when doing business back in UK, so need to get it looked at asap. Thanks for all your help guys.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Unfortunately don't have a solution for you Sophie. Had a similar issue with Skype on laptop a few months ago, where the microphone wasn't picking up my voice, but showed it was. It was very faint and no one could hear me. I tried everything, and thought it may have been the internal microphone, but it wasn't as other apps were fine. In the end I gave up using it on my laptop, and installed on phone and tablet, where it's working fine. I tried it out again on the laptop last week, and suddenly it's working again. Very odd.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”