Internet speed/recommendations.

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Internet speed/recommendations.

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

Hello, I’m about to move into a ground floor apartment in Ozankoy.
Do all of the ISPs supply that area-is there a map that tells me this?

I see there is multi max, nethouse, life cell and airstream.
I want to be able to stream programmes off a firestick, access the internet etc.

Has anyone got any recommendations for the Ozankoy area?

Also, how quickly do they usually set up once you have decided you want them.

Many thanks in advance

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Internet speed/recommendations.

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

Was hoping to have had a response by now...anyone?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

You could have found the answers by reading the relevant section of the forum, instead of requiring members to answer questions which have been asked and answered many times before

However -

No map
Multimax is my recommendation
Probably a week or less to set up, but it's dependent on how busy they are.
Additionally - you mention a Firestick. As far as I know, firesticks can only connect to the internet by wifi - there isn't a network socket.
Parts of Ozankoy are fairly densely populated, and if your neighbours are also using wifi, your connection could suffer from interference caused by frequency congestion. I would recommend that you use a device which can be directly connected to your router via a cable. Poor wifi connections seem to be a common cause of complaint...

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Also live in Ozankoy use Extend WiFi provided by Paul who lives in the village always responds and sorts any issue's quickly.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Same here Kerry 6138. Ozankoy, Extend and Paul.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

[quote="Keithcaley"]You could have found the answers by reading the relevant section of the forum, instead of requiring members to answer questions which have been asked and answered many times before

Thank you Keith.
You don’t think I trawled through the last years kibkom internet postings to formulate that question?
I also emailed two providers-only one of which responded.

I specifically asked regarding Ozankoy, coverage maps and apartments as I did not find pertinent, recent postings on kibkom and some of the ISPs mention apartments in their packages.

If you can point me to a recent posting on here where that information can be found I would be grateful.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

kerry 6138 wrote:Also live in Ozankoy use Extend WiFi provided by Paul who lives in the village always responds and sorts any issue's quickly.
Thank you so much Kerry-that sounds a great recommendation.
Can I ask what sort of speed you get/they advertise.? I admit I had not come across this company, so I will need to research them. Many thanks.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

Laura B wrote:Same here Kerry 6138. Ozankoy, Extend and Paul.
Thank you very much Laura.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Firestick can connect via cable provided you have bought the adapter when you bought the firestick.

As to which provider well I can see the reason behind Keith's post as you can ask 10 people on here which provider and you will get 12 different answers! I have just renewed for another year with Multimax because in the past year I have been with them their service has been spot on. That is not to say there haven't been problems but when there have they have resolved them quickly and efficiently. So I would swear by Multimax where some on here swear at them. I think they do actually offer the highest guaranteed speed out of all of those on offer (I stand to be corrected) and they have a good help line and staff that speak English.

Having said all of that I do not live in Ozankoy so do not know the reliability of the service where you live.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

Chriswright03 wrote:Firestick can connect via cable provided you have bought the adapter when you bought the firestick.

As to which provider well I can see the reason behind Keith's post as you can ask 10 people on here which provider and you will get 12 different answers! I have just renewed for another year with Multimax because in the past year I have been with them their service has been spot on. That is not to say there haven't been problems but when there have they have resolved them quickly and efficiently. So I would swear by Multimax where some on here swear at them. I think they do actually offer the highest guaranteed speed out of all of those on offer (I stand to be corrected) and they have a good help line and staff that speak English.

Having said all of that I do not live in Ozankoy so do not know the reliability of the service where you live.

Thanks for your post, Chris. I have brought the cable!
I was particularly interested in posters in Ozankoy and especially those in apartments as I wasn’t sure whether I will meet the definition of an apartment (where I will be being two storeys high.) Have s great day.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Oh well, at least that got information flowing!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes it did but I am not sure why it took a week. I am (sadly) on here most days and never saw it otherwise I would have answered.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Misswolves wrote:
kerry 6138 wrote:Also live in Ozankoy use Extend WiFi provided by Paul who lives in the village always responds and sorts any issue's quickly.
Can I ask what sort of speed you get/they advertise.? I admit I had not come across this company, so I will need to research them. Many thanks.
https://www.extendbroadband.com/index.php?language=en

If you intend downloading movies or box sets overnight to watch later play computer games online go for a company that provides more speed but if you just watch tv facebook email etc the unlimited smaller packages are fine.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Misswolves wrote:
https://www.extendbroadband.com/index.php?language=en

If you intend downloading movies or box sets overnight to watch later play computer games online go for a company that provides more speed but if you just watch tv facebook email etc the unlimited smaller packages are fine.

Thank you-very helpful.
Is it possible to find out what sort of timescale they take to install and if I need my own router?
I’m very grateful for your response.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

From memory 2\3 days, I had a router but I presume they can supply them
Paul 05338694372 05338694371

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Misswolves wrote:...if I need my own router?...
If you only intend to have one device connected to the Internet, then you won't need a router - you can just connect the incoming cable/adaptor direct to that device.

If you want to use Wifi (or cables) to connect more than one device then you will need to supply/purchase a router - although you would generally need to get your ISP to configure it to suit their system.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

Keithcaley wrote:
Misswolves wrote:...if I need my own router?...
If you only intend to have one device connected to the Internet, then you won't need a router - you can just connect the incoming cable/adaptor direct to that device.

If you want to use Wifi (or cables) to connect more than one device then you will need to supply/purchase a router - although you would generally need to get your ISP to configure it to suit their system.
Thanks Keith, I will probably just connect it to my firestick via wireless.
I will connect my iPhone to it wirelessly, I don’t think there’s anything else unless I bring a laptop over.
So will probably purchase a router if I go with a company that doesn’t provide them.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

kerry 6138 wrote:From memory 2\3 days, I had a router but I presume they can supply them
Paul 05338694372 05338694371
Thanks very much.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”