Router connection advice for a newby

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Jwarry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Router connection advice for a newby

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Jwarry »

Hi all, I recently moved into Ozankoy and immediately took out a year’s subscription with Multimax which so far has been good, but there are a few things I want to do to improve my set up and I was wondering if anyone could help?

I inherited a TP Link router when I bought the property but would like to connect up my own ASUS RT- AC88U which I brought over from the UK as it has more Ethernet ports. Could you advise me on how I might do this? At the moment I can’t even work out what type of connection MMX have given me I.e. ADSL, VDSL, Satellite or Wireless and whether I need a modem. I did attempt to plug in their Ethernet cable straight into the WAN port on my router but the internet connection just leaves me with a pink light rather than a white light suggesting a failed connection. I am assuming I might need to reconfigure MMX ISP settings but I can’t find any instructions on their website to tell me how to do this.

Can anybody help?

Thank you

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Router connection advice for a newby

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

As a quick and dirty fix try plugging your incoming cable into a LAN port (yes, LAN not WAN) and configure the router in bridge mode (no DHCP).

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Mowgli597 wrote:As a quick and dirty fix try plugging your incoming cable into a LAN port (yes, LAN not WAN) and configure the router in bridge mode (no DHCP).
Agreed!

The modem and router are built into the dish, so as Mowgli597 says, your multiport router needs to be configured as a 'bridge' to avoid 'double routing'.

MMX will ensure that your router is configured correctly if you pop it into their office - they don't normally charge for this.

Jwarry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Jwarry »

Thanks guys that’s really helpful

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion