Firestick + VPN

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Firestick + VPN

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

I know there is lots of info on here regarding this subject but I am a complete novice having lived here 12 years and only ever had a digital TV package. I'm borrowing a friend's Firestick to decide whether to buy my own and have a couple of questions please.

I've got the firestick working with my TV and internet but if I try and watch something it says it's not available in my location. Is this because I need a VPN and if so which one do I get?

Thanks.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Firestick + VPN

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes. In the simplest of answers.

Problem being 'some' vpn's will not let you watch UK tv still as the TV companies have defeated the vpn. There are a number of them that still work and there have been threads on here recently where people have said which work. I can only tell you that ipvanish which isn't cheap doesn't!

For some time now I have been using Streamvia.com and it costs £4.99 a month and you can drop a month or so and start again as you only pay each month rather than up front for the year. With that I can watch all UK main channels WITH catchup. On the very odd occasion I have had a problem with any of them it has usually been something I have done but nevertheless the support from Streamvia has been friendly, fast and without exception solved the issue.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Thank you for your help and advice, it's much appreciated.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Correct to say some VPNS WONT ALLOW so why not use the ones that do. Also not the Amazon Firestick won’t allow VPN access to BBC iplayer but if you have it on a laptop it will and then simply cast tk the Firestick and Bobs your Aunt Fanny

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Bert wrote:Correct to say some VPNS WONT ALLOW so why not use the ones that do. Also not the Amazon Firestick won’t allow VPN access to BBC iplayer but if you have it on a laptop it will and then simply cast tk the Firestick and Bobs your Aunt Fanny
Thing is there isn't a definitive list of the ones that do work. Yes you can search the old threads on here but everything changes and what was working when someone posted it may not now. So if you know of a vpn that does work why not post that and help the OP?

Also not everyone has the ability to use the laptop and stream to the tv. I have to watch Quest OD via the laptop but it is a pain as my laptop (new) will not stream without a cable as it keeps dropping the signal.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Do f understand why it should drop out . But Nord Vpn works absolutely fine for ITV Hub

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Neither do I and to be honest we use it that infrequently it isn't an issue. When we came here we were advised to get a vpn and chose ipvanish believing it would work with the UK catch up channels. It did apart from BBC. Then one by one all of the channels managed to beat it. So now I have paid for a vpn that I do not use and ended up paying for streamvia which as I have mentioned is excellent.

I don't confess to knowing much about vpn's or dns and even when I read the difference today I am no clearer really. Apart from dns doesn't slow speed down which here is critical at times. Even then watching Moto GP today even with very good speeds it was buffering and stopping but then that is down to the servers that those providers use. I guess when we are viewing stuff illegally we get what we get.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”