ISP’s

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

ISP’s

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

Does anyone know if there is an ISP in the North that routes traffic “NOT” through TTNET and Turkey?

I am thinking, but with very little hope, that there may be a provider, who “routes” through the South side and then on to Europe, etc.

With the improved quality of streaming services in HD and FHD and the quality of TV’s available to receive up to 4K and even 8k, I was looking for an ISP that for a fairly reasonable cost, could provide a reliable speed at the time when most of my local area is also looking to stream.

I can stream in FHD in the middle of the night, but not on Sunday afternoons, or weekday evenings!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: ISP’s

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

First answer needed, does anyone know for definite that the route out of ROC is that much better? If not then the first point is moot.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

https://www.speedtest.net/global-index/cyprus

23rd in world. 47Mbps download. December 2019.

Good enough for me!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

2nd question - are you sure that any speed reduction that you experience is due to the TTNET factor?

I ask because you mention that you are looking for " a reliable speed at the time when most of my local area is also looking to stream." - which seems to imply that you consider that the factor slowing your internet conection is the demand on the service imposed by locals...

Erol Ziya has mentioned in the past that MMX (for instance) pay for sufficient bandwidth to meet their needs, so except in cases where there is an actual problem caused by TTNET, that should not be a limiting factor - should it?

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

Excellent point Keith.

However, all TRNC ISP’s only have control of any Speedtests within their area, I.e. within the TRNC.

When I mentioned local area, I appreciate it was not very clear, but not only was I referring to my local area, of which you are very local!, but comparing my streaming to worldwide users, I was also referring to TRNC, however, as the route goes through TTnet, I would add all those users as well!

I have tried a new IPTV who stream in HD. During one particular sporting event, I was the only customer in the world whose signal was freezing. I know this for a fact as the Live Help is on Telegram, and everyone can see all the comments and there was no one else with any issues.

Maybe, every other subscriber had enough bandwidth to cope with HD?

I believe MM have enough bandwidth 24 hours a day for HD streaming. But once it leaves our sunny shores, MM and all the others rely on TTnet. Hence my request for other alternatives.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Butterflyaway wrote:https://www.speedtest.net/global-index/cyprus

23rd in world. 47Mbps download. December 2019.

Good enough for me!
With MMX we get speeds of up to 60 mbps for large parts of the off-peak period ... The snapshot for 'Cyprus' don't impress me much...

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

Groucho

If you can have a word with UEFA, the FA, the PL and F1 and politely request them to re-arrange kick-offs and races to coincide with TRNC off-peak timings, I would be very grateful.

Maybe I should show a little more interest in American Sports as they are quite a few hours behind and would coincide with our off-peak timings!

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

We we completely rely on the fibre between Turkey and N Cyprus.

The fibre is operated by TTI (Turk Telekom International) which does have a great fibre network in this region ...however we are reliant on one fibre connection

I would think the local ISP’s need to increase the capacity they are committed to supply the growing demand here especially in peak time which is really the issue here ...

Turkey does have a very good fibre infrastructure and the route from here would be just as good as the South side to Greece

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

All other implications of the questions above aside...

Dedicated bandwidth for ISPs on the South is approx 5 times more expensive than Turk Telekom from Turkey. So there is no way a company would choose that route, then set up systems to move the bandwidth across border (which would be illegal on both sides of the border), then move it over the mountain to Kyrenia and then sell it to you 'for a fairly reasonable cost'
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Now the real problem we have in North Cyprus.

It is not because Turk Telekom (ttnet) is bad, or South is better. They are both good and they are both bad.

For an ISP to be reliable it needs multiple connections out, so when one is bad(or down) the traffic can be rerouted (automatically most of the time) to other connectios. We just do not and cannot have it here.

In other parts of the world, these connections are usually free once initial setup is done. Companies, locations, businesses 'peer' with one another, at the end of the day, Internet is one decentralized system, nobody owns it to sell it to you. We, on the other hand, are at an isolated location for all this action, so we have to pay for TTNet and then resell it.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”