Better Internet Speeds?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Better Internet Speeds?

•   Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

With all the Bars & Restaurants etc now closed,
what will happen to all the extra broadband now available from ISP's?

Will ISP's give all users, that are now confined to their homes,
due to the new COVID-19 restrictions,
unlimited/better broadband, to enjoy streaming TV etc, with no throttling?

It would be good to be able to watch TV all day,
without worrying about throttling from late evening.

We're not all sitting watching TV by choice!

Or are there reasons this can't be done,
at least until the Bars etc reopen?

Oops, Seems I used the word Bandwidth instead of Broadband - Edited 18/03/20
Last edited by Navek on Wed 18 Mar 2020 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unlimited Bandwidth?

•   Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

Seems to be even worse since the bars/restaurants have closed. Must be everyone staying in and streaming tv.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Unfortunately, the forum PM system isn't up and running yet, but I've sent Kemal Basat a msg on FB messenger to see what he thinks...

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The main thing is for everyone to select SD Links rather than HD or HQ links to conserve bandwidth

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Thanks for that Keith |:) (:|
Sometimes SD will still cause throttling late in the evening,
especially on miserable days in :(

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Navek wrote:
Tue 17 Mar 2020 2:27 pm
With all the Bars & Restaurants etc now closed,
what will happen to all the extra bandwidth now available from ISP's?

Will ISP's give all users, that are now confined to their homes,
due to the new COVID-19 restrictions,
unlimited bandwidth, to enjoy streaming TV etc, with no throttling?

It would be good to be able to watch TV all day,
without worrying about throttling from late evening.

We're not all sitting watching TV by choice!

Or are there reasons this can't be done,
at least until the Bars etc reopen?
If we were to remove peak time speed restrictions on those that are using large volumes of data during peak periods the effect would be to disadvantage those who are less 'close' to base stations at the advantage of those that are closer. Someone 'close' to a base station can reach speeds of up to 50Mbs and more if not restricted in any way. Those who are physically more 'remote' may only only be able to physically reach speeds of say 10Mbs maximum. When there is more demand in usage that a given shared link can handle, like say the link from a given base station on to the link out to Turkey , then all on that base station will be reduced from their max potential in the same ratio. Thus the person able to get 50Mbs may be reduced to say 25Mbs where as the person who can only get a max of 10Mbs will be reduced by 5Mbs. By limiting the person able to get 50Mbs, only when they have in the peak times themselves already used a substantial amount of data peak time, we 'protect' those who can not reach such high speeds at any time. The system is actually all about trying to share the resource available, when demand exceeds the physical capacity in some element of the network, in the fairest possible way for all users.

In the current situation (and generally really) if people want to be 'social responsible' then what they should be doing as much as possible is downloading the video content they know they are going to want to watch during peak times outside of those peak times. That way they would be guaranteed to be able to watch that content at peak times without buffering and without placing extra strain on the various parts of the network that in turn may affect other users. Of course if people think 'I can not be arse to bother doing that, I just want to instantly watch anything I want to watch any time I want to watch it and how my behaviour might affect others is not my problem' that is their choice.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Navek wrote:
Tue 17 Mar 2020 3:11 pm
Thanks for that Keith |:) (:|
Sometimes SD will still cause throttling late in the evening,
especially on miserable days in :(
SD from 'illegitimate' services this may well be true but it is not true with SD from 'legitimate' services like BBC iPlayer or Netflix and the like. One of the differences with illegitimate services vs legitimate one is exactly how much bandwidth they use in order to deliver a certain quality of video. The restrictions placed on peak time usage on MMs platinum tier are specifically designed such that even if your usage has hit the highest tier of speed restriction there remains enough bandwidth for a single SD stream from a legitimate service like iPlayer or Netflix. I know this is the case because I have personally tested it. What it may not support is a 'stolen' Sky sports stream bought from a 'guy down the pub' or provided by 'free' from some unknown and unknowable entity.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Thanks Erol! :+1:

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Well, that would appear to be a NO from one ISP
Not even some extra bandwidth, with less restrictions?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Navek wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 9:58 am
Well, that would appear to be a NO from one ISP
Not even some extra bandwidth, with less restrictions?
It was an attempt to explain things from the only ISP you are likely to get any response from on here. The ISP association did ask the government state owned telco to increase the bandwidth on the links we use within Cyprus to connect up our base stations and the like and the request was turned down. If they had or should they decide to do such we will of course pass on such increases to our customers but even then in a manner that is fair to all users and not just by turning off all restrictions at all times which would just mean those able to could grab all they can at the expense of those unable to do so.

Are Telsim and Turkcell, massive companies worth billions with global reach, removing data caps and speed restrictions on their networks ?

Sometimes I do wonder why I even bother posting here at all as a MM representative :(

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Unlimited Bandwidth?

•   Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Erol,
It was worth a try ;-)
If you don't ask, you don't get.
Just a shame that all that extra bandwidth can't be used by the many because of the few.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Navek wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 10:35 am
Hi Erol,
It was worth a try ;-)
If you don't ask, you don't get.
Just a shame that all that extra bandwidth can't be used by the many because of the few.
What extra bandwidth ? Where do you think this 'extra' bandwidth has magically appeared from ? MM, unlike most other ISPs globally, allows a given customers connection to run without restriction and to its maximum possible speed when such such does not have a negative impact on other users. We do not artificially limit the speed of our connections to x Mbs maximum at all times and tier our products based on how big that imposed x limit is. We allow no limits when such does not impact others and we do our best to limit it when it does in the fairest possible manner for all users.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

If a sports bar closes - 20 customers watching one stream are now at their homes watching 20 streams.... simple logic must tell you that streaming will be adversely affected... switch to downloads rather than live streaming and problem is solved, especially as this can all be done before 4pm.

There is virtually no live sport anyway, so the need for live streaming is a bit doubtful.... what program are you so desperate to watch live?

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Erol,

I am, by no means an expert, or claim to know much about Bandwidth etc.

With less commercial usage of the internet system,
due to the COVID-19 situation,
surely this must be a plus for individual home internet subscribers?
I would have thought that there may be a little bit extra,
for the home subscribers who are still online.

All people are now restricted from leaving there homes,
and more reliant on a good internet connection than normal,
keeping in touch with relatives, friends and neighbours,
because of circumstances beyond their control.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Navek wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 11:30 am
Hi Erol,

I am, by no means an expert, or claim to know much about Bandwidth etc.

With less commercial usage of the internet system,
due to the COVID-19 situation,
surely this must be a plus for individual home internet subscribers?
We are not seeing a reduction in commercial use of our network, we are seeing an increase. Just as one example, a week ago we had staff at the MM office to answer customers calls. These staff are now working from home, so now, the call itself is being forwarded over the internet to our staff in their homes and all the access they have to our systems so they can help users with their problems is likewise travelling over our network where as before none of this 'data' was on our network.
Navek wrote:
I would have thought that there may be a little bit extra,
for the home subscribers who are still online.
Incorrect assumptions lead to incorrect conclusions.
Navek wrote:
All people are now restricted from leaving there homes, and more reliant on a good internet connection than normal, keeping in touch with relatives, friends and neighbours, because of circumstances beyond their control.
We are more than aware of the situation and doing all in our power to ensure our customers remain able to use their connections for such purposes. Are you doing all that you can in these difficult times ? Are you for example NOT streaming large quantities of data for 'video entertainment' at times when the network is most under strain, in order to leave 'space' for people that might be trying to contact loved one abroad ?

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unlimited Internet Speeds?

•   Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Erol,

Thanks for the info.

Hope you and all MM staff keep well.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Better Internet Speeds?

•   Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

BBC

Netflix will reduce the video quality on its service in Europe for the next 30 days, to reduce the strain on internet service providers.

Demand for streaming has increased because large parts of Europe are self-isolating at home due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The video-streaming provider said lowering the picture quality would reduce Netflix data consumption by 25%.

But it said viewers would still find the picture quality good.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Better Internet Speeds?

•   Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I don't know anything about the why and wherefore of bandwidth etc., but what I do know we are having without doubt the best quality internet EVER. Skype is a dream so is WhatsApp and virtually NO freezing etc for a couple of weeks now and the speed of connection on laptops etc is almost as good as the cable connection back in Cambridge. Don't suppose it will last once offices etc are open again.?

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”