Broadband Connection

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

oneplustwo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Broadband Connection

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by oneplustwo »

I am moving tomorrow from my temporary accommodation, and rather than use this dongle thingy that is incredibly slow I will get a proper connection pronto as the situation over the past 2 weeks (since arriving) is driving me mad! I met someone today who said he watches BBC iplayer and ITV on his computer but said also there was a way of watching Channnel 4 too. I like Channel 4 and was wondering what I should ask for to receive this. Also I need to ask for something to watch BBC and ITV and I can't remember what that was either! I was told, but the name escapes me, and I do want to know what I am talking about. Thank you for any help/advice!

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Broadband Connection

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

Have a cha to the nice people at Multimax. There is an office above the betting shop near Bestsellers in Girne.
Always look on the Bright side of life. Monty Python - Life of Brian.
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

Twaddle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Twaddle »

For Broadband, if you are in the Alsancak general area try Haypem which is opposite Green Garage. They do a wireless system which costs a couple of hundred TL to set up and then it is 65TL a month for a 1MB unlimited download service. I find that is usually sufficient to watch iPlayer, ITV Player and 4OD. You will need an identity cloaking VPN which can be found for free by searching the net or by using a service called my private network (which I use) which costs £5 a month.

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

Not heard of that one before?
Always look on the Bright side of life. Monty Python - Life of Brian.
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Haypem do seem to be OK - my friend Barbara in Alsancak uses them, they're agents for REALNET I believe, and because it's a relatively small operation/ or perhaps a local franchise, they supply a very focused, personal service.

They also provide a Wi-Fi 'hot-spot' service, so if you are within range of one of their 'nodes' (very technical! ) you don't need any additional equipment - in fact I once used them when ExTend were 'playing uo'...I am just within range of their local 'hot-spot' and they were quite happy to accommodate me for a one-off period. Nice people...

Scoobydoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Scoobydoo »

We use Multimax and have been watching BBC1&2 and ITV1&2 with no buffering, only problem is there has been little worth watching!!

Give Multimax a call.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Winston Churchill

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

strange that multimax and extend are not on here yet
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

Well I don't know what has happened to Multimax but my friends in Alsancak have been waiting for over 2 weeks for a connection and have paid upfront which was probably a mistake. The girl in the office keeps saying I will call you with a date and time but never calls.
I reckon they must of run out of equipment which means more people than they can cope with, so soon the reception will probably be crap like the service at the moment.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by erol »

solic200 wrote:Well I don't know what has happened to Multimax but my friends in Alsancak have been waiting for over 2 weeks for a connection and have paid upfront which was probably a mistake. The girl in the office keeps saying I will call you with a date and time but never calls.
I reckon they must of run out of equipment which means more people than they can cope with, so soon the reception will probably be crap like the service at the moment.
Hi. My name is Erol and I work (part time) for Multimax.

If you could pm or email ([email protected]) details of your friends or have them do it I will chase this up for you / them and find out what is happening. Normal lead times for an install are 7 - 10 days and also normally we do not take payment when an install is ordered but on the day of install or shortly after, so it would seem something has gone amiss here.

We do not always get everything right at Multimax but we are committed to trying our best and constantly seeking to improve our service and support as best we can.

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

erol wrote:
solic200 wrote:Well I don't know what has happened to Multimax but my friends in Alsancak have been waiting for over 2 weeks for a connection and have paid upfront which was probably a mistake. The girl in the office keeps saying I will call you with a date and time but never calls.
Hi. My name is Erol and I work (part time) for Multimax.

If you could pm or email ([email protected]) details of your friends or have them do it I will chase this up for you / them and find out what is happening. Normal lead times for an install are 7 - 10 days and also normally we do not take payment when an install is ordered but on the day of install or shortly after, so it would seem something has gone amiss here.

We do not always get everything right at Multimax but we are committed to trying our best and constantly seeking to improve our service and support as best we can.
Hi Erol Maybe you have done the trick as they are coming today they said.

oneplustwo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by oneplustwo »

Thanks all for your advice. I have signed up to Multimax on their 4mb download contract for 1 year + 3 months free which works out to 64tl per month. You can also watch BBC1 BBC2, ITV1 and ITV2 on that too if you have a subscription with them, and they are also trying to get other channels too. Looks good to me and I saw it all working in their offices. Will fit in a week or so, so meanwhile hijacking wireless around town.... like right now!

oneplustwo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by oneplustwo »

Re my post on Friday 4th May 2012 (please ignore), as I am no longer a happy customer because the services I got initially on signing up are no longer. That is all I have to say on the matter, and I am quite within my rights to say that without having this thread disabled or receiving abuse, or having my personal information disclosed on this forum.

If anyone has got any alternative reliable information about a service provider then please contact me. I need a constant minimum download speed of 4mb to my computer (frequent power cuts accepted) in order to watch tv OR kids to play fast games on net etc without buffering and freezing and cutting out in the middle of a programme. Plus a VPN Mask facility so that we can watch UK TV Channels on a laptop. In the UK speeds are usually advertised as "UP TO", and there has been some contraversy about that as rather misleading, but if you advertise "up to" 20mb download speed and actually get 8mb dowload speed in peak times then I would not complain as would not affect services unless of course you had a lot of programmes running that needed internet access at the same time. All I want right now is to watch TV without interruption OR for the kids to play games, and as we only have one laptop right now, we can only do one thing at a time. However with a wireless router that apparently could take up to 4 connections, I was planning to get the kids laptops too, so if anyone knows of a reliable service that is really fast most of the time but only drops to 4mb on very rare occasions, but say averages 8 to 10mb then we would all be happy and the kids could have laptops too! Thank you.

stellasstar1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by stellasstar1 »

oneplus two, did you ever get your internet/TV sorted out?. I am thinking of changing from my dongle and way I get my TV, so would appreciate your comments. Thanks, Stella

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”