Poor Internet?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Poor Internet?

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Poor Internet? - Check your neighbours!

Read this - Broadband: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months

There's more to it than dodgy Internet Service Providers...

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Poor Internet?

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Up the Reds. »

Interesting ...when I was a teenager I had a friend who was into radio in a big way and he built these weird machines that were stereo and quadophonic. Every time he turned on this contraption he took out all the tv signals for about a quarter of a mile. Took the 'boffins' weeks to work out the problem ...every time they were there puzzling he was at the the local Technical College sothey didn't find the problem. He also found a detonator and decided to put it into a vice and hit it with a hammer ...a month in hospital cured him of his curiosity !! (8)) (8))

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

...He also found a detonator and decided to put it into a vice and hit it with a hammer ...a month in hospital cured him of his curiosity !! (8)) (8))

I think that I may have worked with him - or someone very similar! ;)

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I've just read that article, I bet the people concerned were mortified. Its also interesting to read the boffins state that microwaves, outside lights etc., that are not up to proper safety standards can also be responsible slow internet connection.

MikeK
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MikeK »

Interference to radio signals, i remember as a child in the late 60's. sometimes when an old motorbike went passed our house, white "crackle" lines appeared on the TV screen and would dissapear as soon as the bike had passed. No, it wasn't the dector van checking up on our TV licence. (8))

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

As a TV repairman in the 60's, I remember grappling with a circuit called a 'white spot inverter' that was designed to turn that interference into black dots, 'cos they were less obvious on the screen than White dots! :)

Motor bikes and Reliant Robins were the worst offenders...
Last edited by Keithcaley on Wed 23 Sep 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

All motor bikes and all cars (3 or 4 wheel) were the worst offenders if (when) they didn't have suppressors fitted (as was standard), and that's why suppressors could be bought at most car accessory shops - I think I had to buy and fit them on the first four or five vehicles I owned... :)

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”