Is it possible to update very old tablet?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Is it possible to update very old tablet?

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I have a very old (10 yrs +) Samsung Galaxy 8.9" tablet that we have had stuck in the wardrobe for well over a year since purchasing a new Amazon Fire. I dug it out the other day, charged it up and got it going without any problems. Well when I say without any problems not quite right.

I tried to download a number of apps from Google Play Store and most of them it either couldn't find them or it said they were not compatible with this device. It is running Android 4.1.1 I think. I googled and looked on YouTube at numerous ways of updating none of which I could understand sufficiently to be confident to attempt. I did manage to root it but could not get my head around installing a custom ROM.

As it is the thing is OK for simple stuff like reading on Kindle or looking at pictures but I thought it would be useful as a large screen sat nav in the car. Sadly it will not download any off line maps or anything remotely useful.

So is it actually even worth bothering with or is there anyone out there who can suggest where to take it to have it updated? Quite happy to pay and whilst I know tablets are cheaper these days I like to reuse stuff if at all possible and reasonable.

As ever grateful for any help or advice.

Chris

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Is it possible to update very old tablet?

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

Latest Android OS Version is 11.0. Your Samsung 8.9" may be able to support an upgrade to OS 7.1 (Nougat) but that no longer supports security fixes.

I have an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 chugging along quite nicely on OS 7.0 after upgrades.

Have you tried downloading the last update (7.1) from Samsung? To do this, go to Settings on your tablet and then "Download updates manually". If you are successful, you might have more luck installing apps from Play Store. If not, you might try the procedure at the following website or get someone to assist you.
www.droidword.com/2017/09/10/galaxy-tab ... ugat-aosp/

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Hi SussexBoy thanks for the reply. I have tried to download manually and it says there is not one available. Also maybe I should have included mine is the 7210 model and when I looked at that link it refers to the later model and suggest not trying it with any other. In aby event it says that TWRP is not compatible either.

I may pop in to see the Guy next to Red Ribbon and see if he can do anything with it.

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

Is the model number correct? At 10 years old, could it be the SM-T210? Again, Settings then Device will identify the exact model number.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes the model is what it says when I look at About. I have tried all sorts today and while I can download the stuff from the link you posted via a USB cable from my laptop and they are on the tablet it just comes up with 'no apps can perform this action'. I can get into the boot mode but the bit about Advanced options and wipe dalvik cache is not there.

Too much for me I'm afraid so I have left it.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

This TINY trick will SPEED up your (OLD) computer!
Liron Segev
Feb 2023

I am going to show you how to install Windows 11 or Windows 10 on a computer that is so old that you pretty much gave up on it.

This is an awesome trick that brings computers back from the dead!

Important links:
Tiny11: https://archive.org/details/tiny-11_2...
Tin10: https://archive.org/details/tiny-10-b-2
Rufus: https://rufus.ie/en/

YouTube how to video...
https://youtu.be/ovEO0meB_Aw

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”