Internet a bit slow and weird today and other internet questions

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Internet a bit slow and weird today and other internet questions

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Tried to get on line earlier and there was no internet. With Multimax and they are pretty good at getting it back up and running fairly quickly. Then when it came back on I did a speed test and it was very slow but seeing how it said it was using a server in Istanbul no surprise I guess. Did one a few minutes later after a router reboot and it was still from Istanbul but a different server and it was as fast as I have ever seen here. Weird or what?
Last edited by Chriswright03 on Tue 29 Dec 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Internet a bit slow and weird today

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Mine has been slow for a few days (Turkcell) All internet comes from Turkey maybe they have a problem there.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Lost mine completely for over two hours yesterday so probably maintenance going on - no complaints the service is good now!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes ours was up and down like a yo yo yesterday Waddo but as you say OK this morning, Just checked and it is 9.9mbps but from IDEAL HOSTING Istanbul. If it goes off it is fine by me as it means I actually go and do something useful rather than trawl the net for hours on end and get immobile knees!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020 9:54 am
Yes ours was up and down like a yo yo yesterday Waddo but as you say OK this morning, Just checked and it is 9.9mbps but from IDEAL HOSTING Istanbul. If it goes off it is fine by me as it means I actually go and do something useful rather than trawl the net for hours on end and get immobile knees!
With speed tests like ookla / speedtest. net you can change the default server it tests against and if you want to get best idea of if issues are within your ISP or outside it then you should change the default to something as close (in network terms) to your ISP as possible. So in case of MM choose the extend or nethouse servers to speed test against for example.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

This was via Multimx's own web page which uses Ookla but states it is finding the optimal server Erol so I assume that what it finds is the optimal one. Last time I checked just now it was on Extend in Kyrenia. I usually look for a local one but if it says it is getting the optimal one who am I to argue?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020 2:02 pm
This was via Multimx's own web page which uses Ookla but states it is finding the optimal server Erol so I assume that what it finds is the optimal one. Last time I checked just now it was on Extend in Kyrenia. I usually look for a local one but if it says it is getting the optimal one who am I to argue?
It is our web page but it is ookla that choses the server to test against by default. we can not control that. you can test to anywhere and often the default is the correct best server to test against but sometimes it is not an in those cases you can change it if you want. Or not as you like.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

erol wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020 3:17 pm
Chriswright03 wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020 2:02 pm
It is our web page but it is ookla that choses the server to test against by default. we can not control that. you can test to anywhere and often the default is the correct best server to test against but sometimes it is not an in those cases you can change it if you want. Or not as you like.
For some reason the normal local hosts eXtend etc. are not available in the drop-down list - only ones in Istanbul....

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Erol thanks for that and usually I do pick and choose to see if I can make it any better but as Grouch says the option for local was not there the first time. Nor is it now when I have just tried it. All the options are off the island.

I hasten to add this is in no way a complaint about Multimax and had I a concern I would have contacted them as they are always very helpful. I merely posted as I thought it unusual and I thought someone (you) would know the reason why.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Interesting that all the options in the drop down list are in Istanbul - even more interesting is that all of them are between 1 and 2 miles away!! When did we move Cyprus into Turkey then - lol?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

...the option for local was not there ...
If you click on the name of the offered server, then as well as a selection of other servers, you will see a grey box - click on it and type in the name of a City or a Country, e.g. London, Cyprus, Kyrenia etc., and it will offer you servers in that location!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Keithcaley wrote:
Tue 29 Dec 2020 10:17 am
...the option for local was not there ...
If you click on the name of the offered server, then as well as a selection of other servers, you will see a grey box - click on it and type in the name of a City or a Country, e.g. London, Cyprus, Kyrenia etc., and it will offer you servers in that location!
:+1:)

Just tried that Keith and of course it worked. Never had to do it before and this is a new thong where Istanbul is coming up so my main query really was why is this happening all of a sudden? I expect as others have said work on the system somewhere but in any event the signal is still quite good.

I have also edited the title of the thread rather than start a new thread as I want to ask something else.

Even though I have an unlimited internet so not throttled I am having trouble watching anything on the Firestick without buffering most evenings. My single band router is across the room from the TV so 10' ish but it cannot be connected via an Ethernet cable so is relying on wifi. When I check the signal it says 'fair'. If I connect a wifi extender and use a cable it goes up to 'good' but never 'very good.

We are on a site with 20 town houses half of which are currently unoccupied. When I check the Internet Access I can see 10 other wifi networks available to me with a decent signal. So I am assuming they are all on the same 2.4ghz as me. So would I be better purchasing a dual band or even tri band router, changing to 5ghz and using the old router as an extender?

As it is a three stories house and the bedrooms are on the top floor would a mesh system be better?

Cost isn't really an issue as we would prefer to have a stable connection for viewing in the evening. I tend to download stuff in the daytime when demand is lower and that solves part of the issue but if there is something we would like to watch that isn't already downloaded and saved it can be difficult.

Lastly thanks for any advice and where would be the best place to purchase either a new router or mesh system please?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Internet a bit slow and weird today and other internet questions

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Keith, Good trick - I suppose that having typed in Extend into the grey box and picked that name (only one comes up anyway) I can ignore that it tells me it is 458 miles away - lol.

Chris,

Are you sure you are not being throttled after 16:00 at night and which package have you got that gives you unlimited 24/7 please? According to the blurb on the MM site none of them do that!!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Ha ha Waddo these days I am not sure of much anymore!

I am on Multimax Platinum which guarantees unlimited data and minimum 4mbps I think. Perhaps if Erol is still about he will confirm that. As I read it then the slowest it should go down to is 5mbps if I over use it during the peak period. I guess at the TV then that would be less than that which makes buffering a distinct possibility. Hence my wanting to make the signal better at the TV/Firestick. I am getting into the habit of downloading stuff during the morning if I remember.

In any event as we are always early to bed I doubt that we will use more than 5gb in between 4pm and 9pm let alone 8gb.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Well today Istanbul seems to have been dropped in favour of London!

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”