DNS or VPN to defeat BBCi player

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

DNS or VPN to defeat BBCi player

•   Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I have been using Streamvia for some time without a problem but my neighbour want to be able to access UK TV and I am trying to find something to work on here Firestick. Alas Streamvia are not accepting new customers for their DNS service. I have tried a couple of Free VPN's Winscribe and Turbo VPN. Both loaded OK and activated on the Firestick but neither would allow viewing of UK TV.

Any suggestions of a VPN or DNS that actually will allow the viewing of BBCi player free or paid for would be much appreciated. As I say I always suggest Streamvia but as they are not taking on any new customers that option it out.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: DNS or VPN to defeat BBCi player

•   Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

You can try the one I use which is www.smartdnsproxy.com You get a 14 day free trial, so plenty of time to check it out and see if it works out for your neighbour. I've been using it for over 2 years now, and been really pleased with it. I use the smartdns config and rarely use the VPN. Full set up instructions for all sorts of devices are on website.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

I use Nord which works very well.
I'm no expert but I think with most of these VPNS it's a game of cat and mouse.
The BBC block server 1821 so you need to switch to a server they haven't sussed out. You choose server 1825 which eventually BBC suss out so you pick another and so on. I guess some are better than others but generally I think you're best with one where you can easily choose or change to a different server and one that is proactive and constantly updates the servers.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Thanks for the replies. I will give smartdns a try as the internet speed shouldn't be affected with that.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Alphamike I was looking at the instructions to set this up yesterday and see it mentions you need to ensure you have a 'one click' address in the US with Amazon. How do you do that and why?

Also did you do it on the router or the Firestick please?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

You don't need a credit card for the 14 day free trial, so am confused. I paid in dollars using Revolut card and had no involvement with Amazon whatsoever.
Have you got the correct sign up page, as it sounds like you may have been redirected to something else?
https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/SignUp

I don't have Firestick, but have set up smartdns on laptop, apple tv and tablet, didn't bother doing it through the router.

Edit. Apologies have read instruction set up for Amazon Fire TV where it mentions this one click thing. I honestly have no idea, probably something to do with using Amazon Prime.

Suggest you do the trial for smartdns, set up Firestick and ignore the one click thing and see how it goes.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes thanks for that. I had come to that conclusion as well.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Just for info there is a problem today with smartdnsproxy with UK websites (BBC, ITV etc). I contacted them, they are already aware of the issue and are working on it.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Looks like it's working again.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Thanks for the update Alphamike. Not got around to doing it yet and today is the day. Where it says use the closest server to you I guess that is going to be Istanbul. Cannot find one for Cyprus so what is the second closes you chose?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I honestly can't remember. Will check my DNS settings and PM you shortly

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

You area Gent and that is most helpful.

Mas2669
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Mas2669 »

The following VPN I’ve used for many years and works absolutely great, easy access to many servers and locations. Easy to use (not to technical), free trial available and low cost thereafter.

Fully functional for iplayer, channel 4 &5 apps et al.

Link below to apple store, alternatively for android just google for same (seed4-me-vpn).

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/vpn-proxy ... d860180339

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Just to follow up on this. Finally today managed to load the DNS stuff onto my neighbours Firestick and it actually works with all of the UK catch up TV. It is fairly easy to do even if some of the information on their web site is misleading. As an example the bit about having a 'one click' amazon address in the UK is wrong and not needed.

Massive thanks to Alphamike for his help with this even though he doesn't have a Firestick! A massive thanks from my neighbour as well as she now has more to keep her occupied during lock down!!!!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks CW, so kind of you. Was only too happy to help in a very little way, you were the one who did all .the work. Just glad that it worked out well for your neighbour.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Mas2669 wrote:
Sat 16 Jan 2021 3:44 pm
The following VPN I’ve used for many years and works absolutely great, easy access to many servers and locations. Easy to use (not to technical), free trial available and low cost thereafter.

Fully functional for iplayer, channel 4 &5 apps et al.

Link below to apple store, alternatively for android just google for same (seed4-me-vpn).

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/vpn-proxy ... d860180339
Am glad to hear of another service which I didn't know about, thank you.

I am quite happy with using smartdnsproxy,com as am sure others are with using StreamVia and other similar DNS services. It doesn't slow down internet as VPN can do, so better for streaming and downloading from UK tv sites. I do not know or understand all the technical stuff, just that it works. Erol is pretty sound about this kind of thing, so am sure he would be happy to help anyone, and indeed say if I am wrong.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

My annual renewal for Streamvia is coming up at £49.99. I wasn't aware that Streamvia wasn't taking on any new customers. Is there a problem with the company/service that existing customers should be aware of?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Hector wrote:
Wed 24 Feb 2021 12:12 pm
My annual renewal for Streamvia is coming up at £49.99. I wasn't aware that Streamvia wasn't taking on any new customers. Is there a problem with the company/service that existing customers should be aware of?
no

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Thanks. I've renewed.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”