Internet Providers

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Internet Providers

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I know this has been done to death on this forum however, having been with a very popular internet provider for years its time for a change. I am fed up with restrictions of use, despite my best efforts to get a faster speed it remains very poor,

Are there any providers who do not have restrictions on use?

Any advise would be appreciated thanks.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Internet Providers

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Yes I'm looking to change because I'm paying for 10 mb and we m getting 3mb....

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I guess it all depends on where you are on the island. I have used many providers and currently have 3 connections to see which is best. So far Turkcell and Vodafone seem to work for me in Geçitkale..
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

http://mmcyp.speedtestcustom.com/result ... bbf2622291

http://mmcyp.speedtestcustom.com/result ... 8143507936

These are typical speed test runs at the same time that I am listening to a live stream podcast...

https://play.acast.com/s/offmenu/ep1-scroobiuspip (very funny btw)

When only running only speed test I would typically return speeds 35 - 50 mbps..

2Jays
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by 2Jays »

Coastal side of Karsiyaka.

Use Multimax.

Last couple of daytime speed tests (with tv on, iPad in use etc) same as Groucho, average 25mps. 3 days ago was 35mps.

As Soner mentioned, a lot depends where you live (I.e close to a service provider base station).

I shall remain with MM.

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

I have found Nethouse to be extremely good. They're significantly cheaper than MM and their back up services are excellent. They do not limit their internet speeds. I live on the mountainside of Karşıyaka.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thanks for all your replies, I have had it with MM, tried several times to improve the service with no joy. Nethouse come highly recommended although contrary to the above message ALL the internet providers have restrictions.

silverfir
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by silverfir »

What do you mean by restrictions?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I am reliably informed that every internet provider here including MM have a quota or restriction on internet bandwith use. with MM if you use a lot of bandwidth between 4pm and midnight you reach a limit, once you reach that limit you are restricted to say 5 or 6 MB per evening. Maybe someone on here can explain it better but thats how I see it. Its a real pain for me, we dont download much at all but we use a firestick which needs quite a bit of bandwidth.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Fri 29 Jan 2021 3:27 pm
Thanks for all your replies, I have had it with MM, tried several times to improve the service with no joy. Nethouse come highly recommended although contrary to the above message ALL the internet providers have restrictions.
Wrong...
4B6B466D-1F6F-4A1D-A26F-3FA7174FE57B.jpeg
56177E9D-E1AC-478C-8CC2-882C24E40B8E.jpeg
Last edited by a1sysman on Fri 29 Jan 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
libens volens potens

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

I just wish i could get a steady 5mb signal continuously without the signal dropping out altogether or running at 1-3 mb. In the past i have been with Extend, Multi max and am now with Vodaphone. All are bad. Some worse than others.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Fri 29 Jan 2021 5:11 pm
I am reliably informed that every internet provider here including MM have a quota or restriction on internet bandwith use. with MM if you use a lot of bandwidth between 4pm and midnight you reach a limit, once you reach that limit you are restricted to say 5 or 6 MB per evening. Maybe someone on here can explain it better but thats how I see it. Its a real pain for me, we dont download much at all but we use a firestick which needs quite a bit of bandwidth.
Is there a way to watch stuff on the Firestick using less bandwidth? BBC iplayer lets you watch a lower resolution, so assume that other streaming services do the same.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Mollie the cat wrote:
I am reliably informed that every internet provider here including MM have a quota or restriction on internet bandwith use.
I believe you have been misinformed. Who is your reliable source please?

Our ISP (Lifecell Digital) does not apply any restriction or “quota” on our downloading / streaming. Nor did our previous ISP (Nethouse).
libens volens potens

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Mollie the cat wrote:
How much you use with MM also depends on what package you are on. We are on the Platinum which is the most expensive but we do use the internet a lot for the firestick and our laptops. Even then I very seldom go over the allowed usage for the day in peak time. You can go into your account and look at your Traffic Report which will tell you how much you are using each day and in what periods.

As for the firestick it isn't that using the bandwidth as such it is what you are watching and in what quality. We watch UK tv through it and you can actually lower the quality of the picture which will use less bandwidth and reduce buffering. I tried it the other night and to be honest never noticed the difference.

We also stream tv shows (not films as much) via Cineama HD or other apps but I tend to download them to storage. If I do that in the morning then there is no limit to the data I use and then we can watch them in the evening from the storage without buffering and of course without using data. It is a right faff to set up the storage in the first place onto an external memory stick but worth it in the long run. You can store stuff on the Firestick itself but the space is extremely limited and you need to be able to remove it properly once you have watched it to recover space.

I have watched countless Youtube videos how to get the best out of the Firestick and whilst they are good and actually improve performance they do take a bit of doing at times even though the explanations are as good as you could expect. I now have the Firestick running very well and have the ability to watch stuff without buffering.

There are a few links I can post if anyone wants them which will help with the Firestick performance. Amazon do tend to block up the memory with rubbish which you can control if you know how.

Apologies for going off on a tangent about the Firestick when the thread is about internet providers. So just to go back to the topic. We have been with Multimax for almost three years now and any time I have had a problem they have always sorted it be that by sending an engineer or helping me on the phone. They have moved the dish once which gave a far better signal and since then the signal has been plenty good enough. 18.7 and 1.9 just now. Whilst I can understand the frustration of dealing with a problem and not seeing any improvement better the devil you know springs to mind. It may well be that you could improve your service by changing providers but it could also do the opposite. If restrictions on use are a problem can you negotiate a better package to change that? That of course means more money but if your use is mainly for watching tv that really needs 4Mbps to be watchable. Some other providers will not guarantee that sort of speed as a minimum.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thank you for that very detailed informative explanation.

We have recently had sky fitted on the fire stick which works very well, almost no buffering. The only time I change back to the firestick is when we want to watch our regional news (North West tonight) for that we use Modbro is it called? Thats the only one I can find which has it, after the news say on BBC 1 on sky it cannot get the local news.

In fairness a guy from multimax called the other day and installed a different app, he said its a better app and would be able to get our local news, unfortunately it dosent, so back to square one.

Every evening I do a speed test and get the same result, 4 or 5 MB, I am paying for the top service and expect more. I dont speak with MM anymore its not worth it, I realise changing providers may or may not be the answer but I am willing to give it a go. Nethouse network come highly recommended however on their web site it looks like they also have a quota?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Mollie you should be able to get all of the UK main channels if you use a DNS service. I use Streamvia but I know they are not taking new customers on. As a result of a previous discussion on here about how to be able to fool the BBC into thinking we are in the UK Alphamike on here put me onto Smartdnsproxy.com which I have loaded onto my neighbours Firestick. It is a really reasonable price that works out at something under two quid a month and then you will be able to get all of the UK catch up channels. It does need setting up but there are clear instructions how to do it. I would offer to come and do it for you but in the present climate of course not possible.

I have used Mobdro in the past but find it very poor in quality and sometime just doesn't work at all. With it you also can only watch what is on there and then as opposed to catch up which means that all of the prime time stuff which is on at 9pm is 11pm here and way past my bedtime hence we watch it in the following days.

Of course none of that will alter your speed problem. Feel free to pm me if you need help with setting up the Firestick though.

Just one more thing before I bore you to death. Many issues including speed can be resolved by switching off the router for 30 seconds and rebooting it. Not sure if you are aware of that and apologies if you are.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”