dicovery plus on firestick without paying Prime sub

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

dicovery plus on firestick without paying Prime sub

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Hello again,

I think the subject line says it all.

I use a VPN, so how could I get a Discovery+ subscription on my firestick without having to pay the extra Prime sub to Amazon as well please? Or am I expecting the impossible?
TIA
m

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: dicovery plus on firestick without paying Prime sub

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

You can get Discovery Plus but can only watch a limited amount of programmes without paying extra. As an example I watch Salvage Hunters Classic Cars and the new ones keep popping up for me to watch but some are unavailable without paying. You will need the VPN though as even with my DNS service they know I am out of the UK whereas BBC and the like don't.

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Thanks Chris, you have come to my aid again!

I am happy to pay Discovery the advertised 49.99 which appears to be the full sub for a year. (29.99 offer at present). But the payment process - even from a webpage on my laptop seems to get diverted to Amazon somehow. I was hoping that there may be a backdoor I could use which would channel the funds direct to Discovery.
m

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Can't help with that one. Amazon have so many pies with their fingers in I suspect this is one of them.

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Since making my query I started to reflect on how I first bought the Discovery subscription. I also had in mind the recent controversy about Amazon charging a Prime subscription to unsuspecting customers who had not read the small print of their terms and conditions, which apparently can run to multiple pages.

So I am as guilty as anyone of being lazy and clicking icons and links rather than typing URL addresses. Remembering that to get the Discovery subscription, I clicked a link on the 'home' page which shows when the Firestick is first used.

I then found the Discovery subscription address and typed it directly into my PC and not via the Firestick. So I reached the registration page which is identical to that I first used via the Firestick link. I registered a different email address and password to that I used previously via Amazon.

All seemed to work well but when I clicked on a Discovery programme icon on the Firestick opening screen, it listed the programmes, but once again had a price tag to view each episode. This is what made me write my query.

In fact I had made the correct application to Discovery and the icon I had clicked was a residual link from my previous Amazon connection. Diving into the new Discovery files I had downloaded I found it all works well – with no threatened charges!

I found a link for Discovery customer services and asked them about my previous subscription. They would naturally not commit themselves to any criticism of Amazon, but suggested I contacted Amazon to ensure that there were no other charges against my account following my cancellation of the new charge from Prime.

There were no other charges against my Amazon account. I now only pay Discovery for the subscription and all works very well – lesson learned!

I hope that this information might be of use to anyone else who falls into the same trap!
m

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”