Which Internet provider

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

j555kes
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Which Internet provider

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by j555kes »

Hi Everyone

We are moving over permanently in a couple of weeks, whilst we have used Multimax freedom package over quite a few years for our 3 times a year visits, this has been fine for checking and answering emails reading pdfs, and using whats app.
However our usage for permanent residence is very different, smart tvs, phones, pads, 2 boys gaming all streaming at once what will be the best package.

I have seen the Life 20Mbps advertised quite a bit is that the fastest available any where - just done a speed check in the Uk and we are currently getting 61.7Mbps download which gives us no problems with everything on at the same time, is there anything at all anywhere near that.
We are up in the mountains above Alsancak which will probably also have a negative effect.

J

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Which Internet provider

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I stand to be corrected but I am certain that you will get nothing like the speeds you are used to in the UK. If you truly achieve 20mbps here it will be sufficient for your needs. At times it will slow down with more devices using it and if you have boys gaming all the time I think you will struggle with whichever provider you pick.

If you already use Multimax then consider them as they are usually reliable with speeds that they state. Yes they may be a little more expensive than some others but in the end over the three years I have used them I have always found their customer service to be efficient and effective should I need it.

Just tested my speed here on my laptop using wifi and it is 21.4mbps in Catalkoy. Where you are of course can make a big difference.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I have been with Multimax for years - many years - and always been satisfied with their support and service. I originally had the fastest package they provided and stayed with that for a long time (Now known as Platinum) but for the past couple of years I dropped back down to the Gold Package as it met "Most" of my needs.

As I watch F1 over IPTV and as my download speeds could vary greatly throughout the day, causing disruption to my ability to follow the race, I ended up having D-Smart satellite system installed (cheap as well) which gave me a back up to internet failures on Qualifying and Race days only. It was a system that kind of worked ok, but was subject to all sorts of problems that were not able to be overcome by simply upgrading to Platinum again.

When Multimax brought in traffic management it really threw a spanner in my particular works, when the race events started after 16:00 local time and my downloads exceeded the amount allowed before my speed was cut to such an extent that IPTV became unwatchable. No problems at all with normal use but but F1 was my only real sports following and it caused me to search around for other providers.

I have moved across to Turkcell Life 20Mb and had no problems at all as my download speeds very, very rarely drop below 19Mb and are consistently 20 or 20+. Just now ran a speed check and found down to be 26.32 and up to be 4.08, the down speed should not be higher than 20 as that is the package I pay for but I will not complain - lol.

Internet here is very much "horses for courses" with various people being able to praise or denigrate the service they receive - 20 years ago everyone would have been happy with a 3Mb download but todays world calls for much higher speeds - In the future I can see the speeds getting better and better as more connectivity to the outside world becomes available but for now the best you can do is stick with a provider that fulfills your needs whilst you constantly search for one that is better. Make no mistake, Multimax is now and always has been a very stable and excellent provider who have forced other providers to up their game over the years. Sadly, whilst I understand the need for traffic management, for me, it has forced me to migrate to a different system.

I also live in Catalkoy and have no connectivity issues at all with Life 20 or with Multimax.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Barbaraford
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Barbaraford »

I also have been to Multimax.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

waddo wrote:
Sat 04 Sep 2021 6:47 am
I have moved across to Turkcell Life 20Mb and had no problems at all as my download speeds very, very rarely drop below 19Mb and are consistently 20 or 20+. Just now ran a speed check and found down to be 26.32 and up to be 4.08, the down speed should not be higher than 20 as that is the package I pay for but I will not complain.
Waddo, are you still happy with Turkcell Life 20Mb?

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by inverno »

Groucho.

We live in Bahcelli and had Turkcell Life 20 mb. fitted last Wednesday. We have only paid for 1 month to test it out. Early days but so far very positive.
We were given a time for the installation and they arrived dead on time .
The first day was poor and speeds were up and down all day. We contacted customer service who were both very polite and efficient. We now have 19 mb. most of the time. So far so good !

Hope this helps.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Groucho, So far, so good. I have the odd drop out problems but I think it is my internal network causing the problems and have not got the time to sort it as yet. I also get speed drops from time to time but I live on the side of a very windy hill and suspect my aerial has moved a little. Once I have the time I will get them to come check it for me.

All in all a much better service than I had from the previous provider! Considerably cheaper as well.

dwr
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by dwr »

Is it possible to buy Turkcell Life internet for only a month??
We will only be here for I month.
If not what are our options to use for Iptv

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

dwr wrote:
Sat 05 Mar 2022 5:42 pm
Is it possible to buy Turkcell Life internet for only a month??
We will only be here for I month.
If not what are our options to use for Iptv
Turksell Life
I'm looking at the maths 130 th per month = 1560 tl per annum (£84)

Multimax Freedom
Annual Fee 1350 tl 15 tl per day 14 day stay 210 tl same price as a year of Turksell Life (:Q)

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

inverno wrote:
Sat 05 Mar 2022 11:12 am
Groucho.

We live in Bahcelli and had Turkcell Life 20 mb. fitted last Wednesday. We have only paid for 1 month to test it out. Early days but so far very positive.
We were given a time for the installation and they arrived dead on time .
The first day was poor and speeds were up and down all day. We contacted customer service who were both very polite and efficient. We now have 19 mb. most of the time. So far so good !

Hope this helps.
We had 20mbps Life Cell installed and it seems fine... but I don't think you can cancel after a month with free installation. It is a one year contract, albeit paid monthly in arrears...

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by inverno »

Groucho.

We decided to pay for the installation and one month just to try it out. It was very inexpensive but worth the cost if we didn't want to continue after the initial month.

A couple of minor blips but generally speaking it has been excellent so we will continue with it. If you do get a problem , customer service is very efficient and helpful. can't fault it so far.

Let's hope that it continues !

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

I can second Lifecell having previously been with MultiMax for years and Extend (rubbish) and wish that I had made the change sooner.I had a months trial and since have never looked back, this is in Lapta, seaside.
I check the speeds regularly because my firestick is erratic and find that sometimes I achieve slightly more than the 20mgb's. Very satisfied customer.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

On recommendation from a friend I switched to Network Nethouse which was installed today, I was nearly 8 yrs with a previous provider, obviously to soon to say how good they are but the difference in my e mail speed is amazing!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Groucho, Regarding dropouts and loss of download speeds on my Internet - It was all down to me and a bad (factory produced) network flylead. I normally make my own but used a "Bought" one because it was a nice colour and looked good - lasted about six months! My Lifecell now back to where it was before the cable developed a fault and I am still well happy with it.

Having also had a CAT6 external cable between two buildings out in the sunshine for the past 10 years I think it may be time to change that as well, lots of little faults get blamed on the supplier and can be traced back to either poor cable installation to start with or just degradation due to heat/UV damage.

Hope your installation is living up to your requirements.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Been with MM for almost 8 years. Unfortunately the as “swallows” the charges are no longer competitive when you factor in the annual cost plus the cost per day whilst we are on island.

Moving to another provider when our current contract ends in April. There charges were substantially less and the service will be permanently on.

Wasn’t an easy decision as there was plenty of choice of service providers. We can only hope that they do provide the level of service we expect. Time will tell.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”