Getflix DNS service and ISPs here

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Getflix DNS service and ISPs here

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi,

I have been using Getflix (https://www.getflix.com/) for DNS service for a long time without problems until a few days ago when UK channels on my Roku 3 box stopped working. I am also getting a DNS failed on the Getflix dashboard. As Getflix suggested, reset router with new primary and secondary DNS, flushed DNS cache, turned off AVG completely, then parts that might block DNS. IPV6 disabled, all the usual stuff.

Getflix even logged in remotely but still cannot fix - eventually I was asked to check with Nethouse if they allow 3rd party DNS; they never have they said. So seems not to be any changes from ISP, so I told Getflix it must be their side.

Getflix suggested using their VPN service via OpenVPN - downloaded the software and server files and that doesn't work. We also have Nord VPN but it no longer allows you to set up on certain model router for certain models, and of course TP Link TL WR940N is one of those (:"() Then suggest getting a router that allows Open VPN, all of which are expensive! Of course they are not available in TRNC either I am told - wonder why?

Any one using Getflix had similar issues or can anyone think of a workaround please?

Thanks.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Getflix DNS service and ISPs here

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

I have had similar problems with Smart DNS. Reset Primary and Secondary to alternatives as advised, iv6 disabled etc , etc. quit and got 2nd year refund. Anyone else having similar problems, all I want is BBC iplayer wth a new provider, suggestions?

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Thanks T 4 U- can I ask if this happened recently and what internet provider you had?

Strange thing is I can connect my chromebooks using a VPN to get Iplayer but a nuisance as want to use TV box rather then laptop.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Internet here is Nethouse, no problems in the past, seems to have been last 2 weeks . have now left them and I am looking at Surfshark

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-pr ... t-working/

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi,

I was using DNS not a VPN. So that only routes traffic that.needa unlocking, rather than VPN which routes all your traffic. That can result in a slower connection.

I did try a free VPN trial today bug again that failed. I think nethouse is blocking as you have had similar issues. Let me know how you get on with surfshark.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I use Smartdnsproxy DNS, with Multimax, and accessing BBC etc. with no problem. (I do hope that is not the kiss of death now). Could well be an issue with Nethouse, would check with them again.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi Alphamike,

Yes I tried https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/ and their free trial but again Iplayer, ITV etc on the Roku 3 was blocked.

I can only assume now that Nethouse is the problem by somehow blocking DNS as primary & secondary setup via your router, despite them saying they have made no changes this issue has only occurred the last week. Suspiciously, they said I need a static IP address, which of course costs more and they don't have any capacity (if I understood right) at the moment (:Z)( . And we have recently renewed; is that not always the way.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

It is always the way after you renew something, been there.

Funnily enough I heard someone else with a similar problem recently, but don't know their ISP. May well be related if they are with Nethouse.

I have smartdnsproxy set up individually on my devices rather than router. There was a reason at the time, but was a long time ago, and can't remember why now. Anyway, touch wood, that method is working for me.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

We are with Nethouse, Smart DNS would not connect to BBC Iplayer . Have just set up CyperGhost works OK.

https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_US/off ... aff_sub2=s

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”