Adding an extender

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Adding an extender

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

I use Multimax for my Internet and have recently bought a new router from them because the internet coverage was poor. I was previously using a brand new BT Hub that had to be configured by Multimax and at first it was fantastic however after a while it stopped working. Multimax checked it and said I needed a new router which I duly bought. At first this was good but now ts not giving enough coverage. It doesn't even reach 10 m.
I have tried to set up extenders but I can't even get those to work! I have tried both Tp Link & Netgear extenders.
I have followed the instructions of connecting one to the ethernet, pressing the buttons on each within the specified time etc. but they won't link.
Am I missing something?
I do have Stream via set on my roof top receiver and wondered if it is anything to do with that?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Adding an extender

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I have multimax, streaming and two tp linked WiFi extenders all work without a problem so I guess the answer must be yes you are missing something. What you are missing is difficult for me to know of course.

First thing I would suggest is look on YouTube at setting up the extender to make sure you are doing it right. That's always my first step whenever I want to set something up for the first time or if I have a problem.

When you look at your connections do you see the extender listed? If so you need to connect whatever device you are using to that. If you don't see it then it's not working and you need to try and set it up again. Sorry if you have done all of that already but it is difficult to know what you have or haven't done of course.

From my knowledge of using stream via I doubt that is part of the problem.

I would also suggest contacting MM if speed is slower than it should be from your router.

If none of the above helps and no one else can solve the issue feel free to pm me and I will help more if I can.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Take your spare router to Mm ask them to configure it for you as a repeater and then place it where you want to use it and connect your new one to that using Ethernet. Then simply connect tk one or the other throughout the house . Simple and free

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

In the Uk I use a Tenda mesh system because the copper water tank creates black spots the system gets round that problem
The base plugs into the Virgin media hub back of the TV and links to two other hubs and gives me excellent coverage with no dropout throughout the house
The wifi is connectable 30 yard front or rear of the house
Downside it reduces the speed .If I want to do something fast or bulky I switch to the Virgin network hub
Virgin direct 221 download 21 upload
Tenda Mesh 80 download 21 upload
Various offers and prices

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/techlan ... mesh-wi-fi

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

I have managed to set it up the extender now thank you. Multimax came out yesterday and the engineer eventually found that the IP address on my receiver was wrong. He has changed that and the speed is much better. The extender now works but apparently they are not a good solution in TRNC because of the fluctuations in the power supply.
The engineer also recommended a MikroTik Routerboard. I am looking to buy one, model no. RB951Ui-2HnD. Does anyone use one of these and can recommend it?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

judyvin wrote:
Sat 19 Mar 2022 9:06 am
The extender now works but apparently they are not a good solution in TRNC because of the fluctuations in the power supply.
If the extender works for you it is a good solution... if you buy a voltage regulator you can protect your kit from fluctuations in the power supply.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”