HOTMAIL? YAHOO?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

HOTMAIL? YAHOO?

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

I use my little laptop, mainly to keep in touch, via email, with my daughter in Hong Kong, for the forums and keeping up to date with what is going on in the TRNC.

So far, everything has been simple and within my limited understanding, computerwise.

Now I have OUTLOOK, instead of hotmail, which totally 'buggers up' my emails, it is slow, deletes my emails while I am typing them and the format is not as straightforward as hotmail.

Recently I was informed by 'the facebook team' that they are 'retiring' messenger and hotmail and that I have to go to skype, I tried changing to skype, did the visual/audio test, all was well, but I cannot actually change over as I get a notice at the top of my screen saying 'you cannot download this file as your computer may be at risk.

I am considering going to Yahoo, does anyone use this? would this be less complicated for me?

I would appreciate any help.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: HOTMAIL? YAHOO?

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I use both Yahoo and Gmail and find them both ok no problems.

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Thank you Deniz1

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

You are welcome actually I prefer Gmail its quicker than Yahoo and easier to use.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I'm a yahoo user and use it online, rather than through outlook. You don't have to use outlook at all. You do not have it instead of hotmail. You are using Outlook as a vehicle to look at your hotmail account. Get rid of it!! It's only a software on you laptop for looking at your email, any email, hotmail, yahoo, etc. Look at hotmail via the web the way you would if you are somewhere else away from your computer.

How did you suddenly get to use it?

I used to use Outlook and it's ok, if you always use the same computer, but you can't see any Outlook saved emails other than on the Outlook you saved it on.

I'm not an expert, but as I had this problem some years ago, our IT at the office explained it to me and I've never bothered with Outlook again. Everytime I get a new laptop, I get rid if it, because it wants to be used.
Last edited by dippersgirl on Sun 20 Jan 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I have bought a new laptop recently and had not used it to look at my emails. I have a hotmail account but only use it very occasionally. Since your posting BB, I thought I would look at it. I had loaded Microsoft office, excluding Outlook, but when I opened my hotmail it said Outlook!!! I also had an email asking me to tell them what I thought of the Outlook experience, unfortunately the choices did not include what I thought!!!!
I found that if you looked into Settings there was a place where you could change back to your ordinary hotmail. I did a screenprint for you pointing to the various steps.

I get so annoyed when the sneak something on you without really asking!!!!!
Attachments
Info for BlueButterfly
Info for BlueButterfly

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

dippersgirl. Thank you so much for your time and trouble.

I changed over to outlook as I was told by the outlook team that hotmail was being 'retired' and that if I did not change over, they would transfer me anyway when hotmail was finished.

I was happy with hotmail but to get rid of outlook I changed over to yahoo tonight.

I will have a go with your instructions but do you think there is any point if hotmail is not going to be available much longer?

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

At least you have a hotmail account that you know and understand, while you are getting used to yahoo!!
I use yahoo.co.uk and btinternet.com(they joined with yahoo and it looks the same) I use one for shopping and other outsiders and the other for friends and family.
I like their system. Contact me if you have any problems

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Hi dippersgirl.

I followed your instructions and got rid of outlook.

Did a systems restore and got rid of yahoo, and, don't ask me how, all the little symbols on my tool bar. but I learned a few things while 'fumbling around'

So back to normal for the moment, I will stay with hotmail as long as I can, better the devil you know.

A BIG BIG THANK YOU for taking the time to help.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

thanks BB, I learned from your experience too!!

It does pay to have a back up email, even if you hardly ever use it!

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”