Recovering Skype

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Recovering Skype

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I have been trying hard to recover my Skype which I haven't used for about a year. Everything I read tells me I have to have Microsoft installed on my laptop. Skype still appears on my list of account installed on laptop and would be grateful for any help as I do need to make a lot of business calls within the next week or so

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Recovering Skype

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Wed 10 Aug 2022 1:28 pm
I have been trying hard to recover my Skype which I haven't used for about a year. Everything I read tells me I have to have Microsoft installed on my laptop. Skype still appears on my list of account installed on laptop and would be grateful for any help as I do need to make a lot of business calls within the next week or so
Skype will run on Windows, Android and Linux operating systems.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

As long as you know your username and password, then as Groucho says, you can run Skype on any device/operating system, and it will still display all of your contacts and previous calls etc.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Would that it was that easy these days' Bearing in mind that I had Skype for 15 years or more and change email addresses and countries in that time there were at least four pages of questions including last four calls I made, phone numbers of 4 calls I regularly made, names of at least three people on contact list, how much I was in credit the last time I used Skype, passwords for Microsoft and Skype plus one time code numbers etc. The list went on and on and as I haven't used Skype for about a year, it just became impossible. Is there something the equivalent of Skype that I can use? I have heaps of solicitors, banks etc that I need to make long calls to.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Why don't you just make another Skype account from fresh and add credit? It goes against the grain if you already have credit, but if you can't get into your account, might be the best way for you.
There are other voip services if you Google. I have used them in the past, but was so long ago, can't remember the names of what I used, and whether they are still around is another thing.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Funny you should say that alphamike. I have three email addresses, two I use regularly, the other I used twice in one day in an emergency two years ago. I wonder if that is still up and running. Perhaps I could start from scratch. As to credit, I think it was about 60GBP, but I just can't be bothered to worry about it.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I think this is probably the easiest way to go. Even if you have to have a brand new email address, which you only use for Skype, as that would be a reminder for you, should the problem arise again. I would just top it up with small amounts at a time, say £10.

I've just remembered the name of one voip service I used in the past https://www.12voip.com/dashboard
I haven't used it in absolutely years, so can't make any comment about how good or bad it is.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Alphamike is dead right. Just start again with Skype and if the £60 you lose does not concern you then you must be in a good position anyway. I only use Mac OS on all my systems and they all have Skype so the thing about having to have Microsoft is just rubbish.

Because my brother in law in the UK is slowly vanishing due to cancer we use Skype lots to stay in contact and I set up a deal with them for £14 ish which allows unlimited UK calls. When he is finally in the last box I will simply cancel that deal and revert to topping up as required.

Take the stress out of your life.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Believe me Waddo, I so wish that you andalphamike were right, but it isnt as easy a you make it sound. I have the first user name, first password, first everthing but Going by my records, for some reason or another about 10 years ago I must have had to change the password and now immediately Microsft comes on the screen asking for a 7 number password in order to get into my Skype account. I'll keep on trying and Yes the 60GBP is a lot, but I'd gladly lose it in order to bring back Skype with the 100 plus important contact names and numbers

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

BB Just wondering if you have an old phone or some other old device which had Skype on it, where password might be saved?

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Oh what fun. It has taken me three hard days (trust me) working out in the joint workings of SKype and Microsoft, have finally recovered Skype (haven't got sound yet but am working on) It is impossible to ignore Microsoft and with many hours playing around with Usernames, passwords, that have been used over the year, one time codes, downloads, listing to gabbling by what sounds Indian dialects and Japanese. I finally this morning got Skype on my laptop. In fact I think I have it twice, once with 100+ contacts, the other resembling the very first day I signed on years and years ago. Both prior to the intervention of Microsoft.

There is a draw back of course, scores and scores of passwords have been lost or changed including this forum. I only got on with difficulty and then it won't log me in permanently

Bit nervous about downloading a version on phone/tablet in case I upset the apple cart and lose the lot again.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Well done BB, admire your determination. Have you any hair left? Can't see how putting Skype on your phone or tablet will cause any further problems. Actually would be a good thing having it on a few devices. Particularly as you haven't got sound sorted yet on laptop. I've got it installed on 3 devices, perhaps 4.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”