dietician needed for diabetic lady

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

dietician needed for diabetic lady

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Hi, the 83 year old lady who I help has recently been diagnosed with late onset diabetes.

She was referred to a dietician who obviously has no experience of diabetes, judging from the diet sheet the lady was given.

Does anyone know of a dietician who has please and could help this lady with diet advice and monitoring? and who can speak english.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: dietician needed for diabetic lady

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If a diatetician cannot be found, would it not be possible for diabetics on this and other forums to come forward a make suggestians as to their own diets. I know a number of late middle aged diabetics and I'm sure they must have cookery books, or you could go on to the web and look stuff up. Have just had a very quick look and there are 100"s of pages on the subject.

carolhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by carolhm »

I looked on the web for some one who has just been given the same news as the 83 year old lady . There are pages of advice and each one I looked at gave another page of lists and each time I chose another there was another . So is there any one who can give some advice please .

Thanks

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

There is a Diabeti cAssociaiton here. I have a leaflet somewhere but of course all in Turkish. But there are those who do speak English in the association. On the other hand, I am sure that someone who has that type of diabetes can advise the lady. It really is not that difficult to manage, but why not go and see a doctor to give her a regime she can stick to.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I meant to say that surely the one who diagnosed the diabetes can give some kind of helpful advice?
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Thank you all for your replies, I am not sure where Lily got the diet sheet from, she said it was a turkish lady at a clinic and basically banned everything except salad, salad and more salad and gave no advice re the diabetes.

I had a look on the British Diabetics Society web site and found lots of advice on diet etc on there and wrote it all out for her but suggested she should still see a Doctor.

I finally talked her into registering with VIP medcare where she had a long and helpful consultation with a doctor who gave her tests and a diet sheet and told her to use it in conjunction with the info from the UK.

She is now happily managing her diet, which, incidently, includes most of her favourite foods, and is monitored at regular intervals at Medcare.

Thank you all from Lily.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”