NHS healthcare for Expats.

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

NHS healthcare for Expats.

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

Only just spotted this. Maybe I missed it somewhere along the line. I thought the bit about Expats settling back in the UK was just a Cameron pre-election vote-catcher which had quietly been forgotten.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pital-care

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: NHS healthcare for Expats.

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thank for that very useful post, One wonders how you prove you have returned to UK to settle , particularly if one need to go into temporary accommodation initially. Has anyone reading done it, o r knows anyone who has?

rosiesmidge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by rosiesmidge »

I read that they were asking for passport and proof of residence by a current utility bill to prove you are living here if you turn up at a hospital not sure how it works at a GP Surgery

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

I am told you require two forms of identification, proof of a UK accommodation address and utility bills in your name at that address. Whether this is fact or not I know not. Emergency treatment at the first point of entry is provided free. You also need to be registered within a GP practice to secure an appointment.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

What happens between th time you arrive and getting your first utility. Or if you stay in a hotel or with friends or family?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Ragged Robin wrote:What happens between th time you arrive and getting your first utility. Or if you stay in a hotel or with friends or family?
Very good question, amongst the many others the policy raises. Perhaps Mr Kidd at the BHC can give you an answer as he, purportedly, represents HM Government here, even though he does not recognise the TRNC - by his own words!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

ha ha: And Perhaps dear Mr. Kidd would also tell those of us whose lives would be at risk if we did not get medication, how we are supposed to get prescriptions made up without access to a Doctor, and with considerably delayed access.

I suspect carrying a case of medicine enough to last three months through Customs might just create a problem or two.

meldy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by meldy »

What happened to the suggestion a few years ago that expats or non resident UK passport holders would be able to access NHS facilities if they had paid a 'substantial number of years (suggested 7) NI contributions'?

meldy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by meldy »

What happened to the suggestion a few years ago that Expats or non resident UK passport holders would be able to access NHS facilities as if resident if they had a substantial number of years ( 7 suggested) NI contributions? I think it was part of a wider suggested change to the welfare system so no doubt got kicked out because it would help people. Hubby and I have 85 years of contributions between us!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Ragged Robin wrote: ...I suspect carrying a case of medicine enough to last three months through Customs might just create a problem or two.
perhaps like this?

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

We bring 3 months medication to North Cyprus but bring the prescriptions with us to prove they are legal in case we get stopped at Customs.

Belfast Belle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Belfast Belle »

I don't quite get the gripes here, you all chose to leave the UK you cant have your cake and eat it ,

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Belfast Belle wrote:I don't quite get the gripes here, you all chose to leave the UK you cant have your cake and eat it ,
What 'Gripes' are you referring to? - on which posts?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Belfast Belle wrote:I don't quite get the gripes here, you all chose to leave the UK you cant have your cake and eat it ,
No the UK chose to leave us stranded!

Things were very different when some of us came here first.

And dont forget we have not exactly abandoned to a country that has the benefit of our NI contributions and to which some of us still pay tax.
Last edited by Ragged Robin on Mon 06 Nov 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

woodspeckie wrote:We bring 3 months medication to North Cyprus but bring the prescriptions with us to prove they are legal in case we get stopped at Customs.
Yes Woodspeckie: but that is coming THIS way - do you think the UK customs would accept a prescription from a doctor in a country that according to dear Mr.. Kidd does not even exist? And if it was in Turkish it would probably make them even more suspicious.

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”