Knee replacement surgery

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Marc111
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Knee replacement surgery

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marc111 »

My wife requires 2 new knees and wanted to know if anyone would recommend somewhere out there and current prices for this.
Would be interested to hear of people’s experiences regarding the process and recouperation times and aftercare.
Thanks in advance for any help and advise.

Marc

nginea
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Knee replacement surgery

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by nginea »

Just to get things started. Rough prices for both knees in the South around 16,000 Euros. In the north around 10,000 sterling. Should be up and walking without sticks at around 6 weeks and and more or less back to normal at 3 months.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

A friend has just had this done in the uk she had 1 knee done on Friday came home on Tuesday. In plaster for a week but up and walking with crutches the next day and she is 82!

kayc
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by kayc »

have you researched stem cell treatment for the rejuvenation of the cartilage in the knees? I've read it's been quite successful. Don't know if they offer it here in Cyprus.

Marc111
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marc111 »

nginea wrote:Just to get things started. Rough prices for both knees in the South around 16,000 Euros. In the north around 10,000 sterling. Should be up and walking without sticks at around 6 weeks and and more or less back to normal at 3 months.
“Thankyou for this info,gives us a starting point.
Anyone have recommendations of where is best to go and how much lead time for the op ?

Thanks again for all the replies

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I would try the state hospital first. It will be much cheaper and you'll probably end up with the same surgeon.

Marc111
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marc111 »

frontalman wrote:I would try the state hospital first. It will be much cheaper and you'll probably end up with the same surgeon.
Thanks again,
Would be good to hear anyone’s personal experiences of State hospital as opposed to private

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

As frontlman says it will be less expensive to use the State hospital where the medical treatment will be as good as anywhere else but the Nursing care leaves a lot to be desired. It appears to be the case that they rely on family to look after a Patients needs, so be prepared to spend a deal of time there supporting your wife.

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

I think you should also be aware of the type of joint replacement as this can vary I have something called a shape fit knee which was created based on scan measurements

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Marc111 wrote:
frontalman wrote:I would try the state hospital first. It will be much cheaper and you'll probably end up with the same surgeon.
Thanks again,
Would be good to hear anyone’s personal experiences of State hospital as opposed to private
If you call me on 0533 8463507 I can tell you about my wife's two operations in the Girne state hospital. Tomorrow will be OK.

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

frontalman.

My only experience of State Hospital surgery has been following an accident. It would be useful to know if you could advise us what is the waiting time for non emergency surgery in cases such as this?.

tt
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Marc111
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marc111 »

frontalman wrote:
Marc111 wrote:
Thanks again,
If you call me on 0533 8463507 I can tell you about my wife's two operations in the Girne state hospital. Tomorrow will be OK.
Thanks frontalman,

We are not back out there till January,
Thanks for the offer,much appreciated.
I would hope my wife received good post op care so feel drawn to Near East hospital as it seems a popular option.
Hopefully we get advised about the different types of knee options available during consultation.

Marc

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Always get a second opinion I have heard some good and some very bad reports about Near East.

crofter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by crofter »

Dr Suat Hospital in Karakum comes highly recommended. Dr Ramadan is an excellent Surgeon and also a very nice person. Recent hip op there and have spoken to others who have had knee replacement and they are very happy.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

State v private comes down to difference in cost and care. The same surgeons are used mainly and with a bit of research you can identify a good surgeon and then work out when he/she holds surgeries at the Polyclinic (Girne or Lefkosa).

I did this in 2012, when I saw the surgeon at the Polyclinic in Lefkosa he opened his diary and said I can do the surgery this week so you can choose your date. The state hospital is pretty tatty but I was only in 2 nights, the evening before surgery and the next night when I was too out if it to care. I was in a 3 bed ward with 2 TC ladies, who were quite noisy, one of their mothers stayed over too (ear plugs recommended). I was fed and monitored and the room was cleaned regularly. Toilet facilities were in the corridor outside the ward, though the nurses allowed me to use their private bathroom, I didn't ask. The other toilets were perfectly ok and clean.

So it's not what you are used to in UK but it is adequate and probably a quarter or less than the cost to go private.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

tingtang wrote:frontalman.

My only experience of State Hospital surgery has been following an accident. It would be useful to know if you could advise us what is the waiting time for non emergency surgery in cases such as this?.

tt
I don't think waiting lists apply here. Once the surgeon decides what is necessary, delay is only for whatever tests are necessary beforehand. Sally has had a knee op and a hysterectomy. Both were carried out very quickly and the cost for each was about 1400TL.

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”