Pfizer COVID 19 Vaccine Breakthrough

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Pfizer COVID 19 Vaccine Breakthrough

•   Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Pfizer announce they have a vaccine that appears 90% effective in trials. They are applying for it to be available for mass production and use outside of the trial. News reports also seem positive.

Early days but this could be a game changer.

If approved NHS frontline staff will be offered vaccine followed by vulnerable groups. U.K. has pre ordered 30M. This is also good news as other companies are working on a vaccination which could also offer protection.

Shares have rallied in the back of this announcement.
It’s not a done deal but is a very positive step forward.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Pfizer COVID 19 Vaccine Breakthrough

•   Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Even 1% would be better than nothing which is what we have at the moment, but 90%, well done Pfizer.

Didn't hear anything more about that nasal spray one of the Uni's in TRNC developed with a Uni in another country, similar to Vicks First Defence it sounded like, or was that fake news?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Sold my Pfizer shares donkeys years ago. Oh to have had a crystal ball back then.!!!

Wines Of The World
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Wines Of The World »

Donald Trump has been saying for many weeks that Pfizer are almost ready with a Vaccine,but as usual the Leftist MSN wouldn't report on it (:()) Some might say that would be one of his only truths ((/))

https://www.politico.com/coronavirus-va ... velopments
Making Life Richer For The Pourer 🍷🍸🍷🥂🍻🍺🍹🍸🥃🍾🍾🍾🍾

Wines Of The World
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Wines Of The World »

sophie wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020 2:58 pm
Sold my Pfizer shares donkeys years ago. Oh to have had a crystal ball back then.!!!
Still got mine but i think the BBD is well past its best so maybe no use :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 00))) 00))) 00))) 00))) 00))) 00))) :-D :-P :-P
Making Life Richer For The Pourer 🍷🍸🍷🥂🍻🍺🍹🍸🥃🍾🍾🍾🍾

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Pfizer?
main work was and is done by BioNtech, situated in Mainz, Germany.

btw, founder and CEO of biontech is Ugur Sahin and (his wife) Özlem Türeci.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioNTech

happyinthesun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Post by happyinthesun »

Didn't hear anything more about that nasal spray one of the Uni's in TRNC developed with a Uni in another country, similar to Vicks First Defence it sounded like, or was that fake

Here we go again M&M ...another sarcastic dig at TRNC,for goodness sake.....what do you know? ((/)) ((/)) ((/))

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

All very promising but CNN are suggesting that many, many Americans are suspicious and will not take the vaccination??!! What idiots!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Before we start arguing about where the respective CEO's were born and brought up, my point was that I still wish I'd held on on to my Pfizer shares. End Of!!!

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

no, we are not going to argue why you sold your pfizer shares...

my "pfizer? " was meant to to correct poshins "Pfizer covid 19 vaccine breakthrough"... to "BioNtech..... breakthrough"...

and the fact that this start up is founded by (turkish) 1st/2nd generation immigrants i supplied as an (funny and interesting) information in a (T)C forum....

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Pfizer was the company mentioned when I posted this as breaking news.

I think it’s more important to embrace and acknowledge that this is looking like a very positive breakthrough.

There are also other companies such as AstraZenica who appear to be very close to finding a vaccine.

I don’t really care which company has the vaccine, it’s just good news that there appears to at last be some light at the end the tunnel.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Good news indeed.
I do hope that people will remain focused on reducing transmission. The currentlockdown in the UK is most definately being taken less seriously.
The announcment of a vaccine is the talking point across our planet. The locistics of getting the vaccine into the population is mamouth and will take a good 12 months or more I think. I wonder for the less privilaged inhabitants whos governments cannot afford to purchase the vaccine.
I understand manufacturing is in Belgium and Germany. I guess these governments will make damn sure that their civiliand are served first.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

yes, the entrance into the tunnel (is behind us , but ) still is closer as the light seen at the end of the tunnel.

a couple of month ago, germany gave 375 million euros as a nonrefundable help to biontech/pfizer (and another 375 for curevac and for some others as well, but less..).
but still, out of the 300 million doses (contract) for the EU, germany will get its "population share", not more.
= 19 % = approx 58 million doses.
as every patient needs two doses, that would be sufficient for max 29 million citizens, not enough for herd immunisation.
the UK hold contracts for 30 million doses. 15 million citizens.
so, we need to hope for, eg, Curevac and others, eg vector vaccines. the phase 3 Sinevac project, chinese, just was stopped in brasil.

biontech will be able to produce 1,4 billion doses in 2021, = 700 million people. who will get how many doses- when is the big question. EU, US, india, china, south america.... iran... 3rd world... according to biontech they dont want " that there is an unfair inflation of the batches in individual regions"

the US will receive 100 million biontech doses. definitely not sufficient for the long-term promise that "every american" will get a vaccination in 2020 / beginning 2021.
the americans need to hope for, eg, moderna, the third company working on RNA vaccines. (btw, biontech/pfizer NEVER have been part of the "warp speed" programm in the US)

others have no hope and must trust on the WHO to get a share..

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I will settle for a flu jab - when they get them here that is - lol.

Probably be long in the box before TRNC either get enough of the "Cure" to allow it to be sold to none citizens or/and made available for citizens anyway. No complaints mind you, I knew what I was getting into when I came and fully support the idea of Turkish Cypriots first in the line!

In the meantime, happy to let the rest of those lucky enough to get the "Cure" trial it out for me and grow extra ear's and things before they get it right - lol.

Look death in the eye, laugh and enjoy what you have, stay safe and be happy people. Never worry about the things that are outside of your control!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

So the Pfizer CEO sells $5.6m of stock on Monday same day this 'breakthrough' news comes out !!

And you guys trust these people right?????
Remember these big Pharma companies are all FOR PROFIT it's all they are interested in , Pfizer has paid out $2billion recently in a fraud case, just remember this when you all rush out to get your Vaccinations !!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020 11:29 am

In the meantime, happy to let the rest of those lucky enough to get the "Cure" trial it out for me and grow extra ear's and things before they get it right - lol.
Well any drug that has been rushed to market as this one has to be.......

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

techtrader wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020 2:54 pm
So the Pfizer CEO sells $5.6m of stock on Monday same day this 'breakthrough' news comes out !!

And you guys trust these people right?????
Remember these big Pharma companies are all FOR PROFIT it's all they are interested in , Pfizer has paid out $2billion recently in a fraud case, just remember this when you all rush out to get your Vaccinations !!
I do agree that Pharma companies do seem to pocket a fair few quid from governments for research but that doesn't always seem to get reflected when they sell those drugs back to the government.

But easily solved. If you have a worry about the company making an unfair profit don't get vaccinated.
I assume you work or worked as an unpaid volunteer or if you were paid used to refuse pay rises and bonuses as too much?

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

The issue is INTEGRITY
The BBC is not even allowed to challenge these companies on the safety of their vaccines
Believe me not all vaccines are safe just check out South Korean deaths recently
Will it be as easy as just not getting vaccinated? I would think that would negate me from a life worth living going forward!
Your last sentence puts these companies trying to save life on Earth(sic) on a path with Del boy at the market...is that how you really see it?

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

techtrader wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020 2:54 pm
From bloomberg.com

“Both executives’ sales were done under prearranged 10b5-1 trading plans, which let people schedule sales in advance at certain times or prices, absolving themselves from accusations of insider trading. Public-company executives typically receive a considerable share of their compensation in the form of stock, and the vast majority periodically sell part of their holdings.

“A Pfizer spokeswoman said the sales were part of the executives’ personal financial planning. Bourla authorized the sale in August and Susman in November 2019, provided the stock reached a certain price.“

An example of how conspiracy theories start?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

techtrader wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020 5:00 pm
The issue is INTEGRITY
The BBC is not even allowed to challenge these companies on the safety of their vaccines
Believe me not all vaccines are safe just check out South Korean deaths recently
Will it be as easy as just not getting vaccinated? I would think that would negate me from a life worth living going forward!
Your last sentence puts these companies trying to save life on Earth(sic) on a path with Del boy at the market...is that how you really see it?
The BBC as in the broadcaster?
I think there are more suitable bodies that can challenge them on the safety of their vaccinations as the days when the BBC reported news impartially have long gone unfortunately.

As for me equating these companies with Del Boy, they are entitled to make a profit, no?
If they spend millions/billions on development then they are entitled a return on their risk?
Supplying food is the most basic need for humanity but who would do it if they can't earn a living doing it?
Profit isn't a dirty word although profiteering is.

The main point is are they entitled to take huge government grants and then charge those same governments an unfair or inflated price?
But that is the fault of the government or whoever is in the civil service procuring the drugs.

If someone underwrote your costs and didn't make it a condition that they could then buy at x price then they are stupid.
Tesco and Sainsbury have huge buying power which they often use unfairly to buy food from farmers at a very low and often unfair price but compared with the buying power of say the NHS they are corner shops so if it is beyond the wit of the NHS to get a good price on their purchases then more fool them tbh.

In another thread someone mentioned that it is better to have a politician running government than a businessman.
So simple question who would you rather have negotiate purchasing for the NHS, Matt Hancock. Jonathan Ashworth or Alan Sugar? I know who I'd want to negotiate on my behalf.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020 6:06 pm

“Both executives’ sales were done under prearranged 10b5-1 trading plans, which let people schedule sales in advance at certain times or prices, absolving themselves from accusations of insider trading. Public-company executives typically receive a considerable share of their compensation in the form of stock, and the vast majority periodically sell part of their holdings.

“A Pfizer spokeswoman said the sales were part of the executives’ personal financial planning. Bourla authorized the sale in August and Susman in November 2019, provided the stock reached a certain price.“

An example of how conspiracy theories start?
So at worst they guy had options which he exercised when he thought they would be most profitable?
Sounds the sort of guy with his head screwed on who I'd want to run my company.

We seem to live in an age of envy.
If I said I could make you a hundred million but I'd want 25% of it then is that so unfair?
Or we could pay a complete non entity a hundred grand and not be fussed if he is a failure and costs you millions

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

I was simply pointing out that the original post implied that these executives had sold shares at the time when the vaccine results were announced as being positive.

The Bloomberg quote shows that the decision to sell had been made months before the virus was even recognised.

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

If you are accusing me of starting conspiracy theories then I should point out to you that I have just highlighted fact, if you want to construe anything (or nothing) with the fact that Bourla cashes in on the very day that he announces very positive vaccine news then so be it but I believe it deserves to be known and let the people decide for themselves.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

I did not accuse you of starting a conspiracy theory and I apologise if that’s what came across.

I was just pointing out that, as in so many things, statements are made without either the full facts being made clear or they are taken out of context.

I agree that people should decide for themselves but I would argue that they should know or be told the full story before disseminating part truths as “alternative facts”, to quote President Trump’s Counsellor Kellyanne Conway.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

some weeks ago (3 or 4) bioNtech announced that they do expect that the "mid term unblinding" (after 94 confirmed infections) of the phase 3 project, which started in juli, most probably can be announced second/third week of november.

i, actually, have been desperately waiting for it...

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”