COVID injections yes or no?

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

COVID injections yes or no?

•   Message 1 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Having read quite a lot about the various injections being rolled out. It now looks as if TRNC will be getting the China version which Turkey have secured 50 million doses.
Will everyone that is entitled to them be definitely taking them? 60% seems to be the magic figure that countries are aiming to get too which in effect will eventually get things back to “normal”.

Turkey are also looking at buying several million of the Russian Sputnik injections. So there should be ample supplies for North Cyprus which is great news in these tough times. :x))

So many Countries have zero or little supplies of any injections lined up and some have confirmed they don’t expect any until the end of 2022!!!

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: COVID injections yes or no?

•   Message 2 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

I have always thought that a vaccine was the way to go. And if the TRNC follows the trend in the UK where the medical staff, care workers, Essential staff and the vulnerable are amongst the first to receive the jab. Then my opinion is that if the medics are having it just tell me when it's my turn.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 3 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

since summer 2020 the "vaccine battle" started and will continue.
UN secretary Gueterres said that "vaccine - nationalism" and "vaccine politics" should be avoided. this was adressed to mainly US, UK, EU, China and Russia.

the US ordered 600m from biontech, the EU 300m, 60% of the 2021 production for less than 800m people. + UK orders.
+ Israel, they ordered early and got a lot.. i heard they paid double, 30 dollar per shot.
germany want to make sure it will get a "reward" for the 350 euro help for biontech (eg, to build a new production line in germany)

same , more or less, applies for american moderna vaccine. america paid a lot, now they want the most.

in summer, another 95% mRNA vaccine can be expected, german Curevac, but with less production capacity. i think it was around 500m for 2021, but they are also basically sold out.
EU order is 225m + 180m optional. since summer 2020, germany is a 20 (or 25)% shareholder of Curevac (for 375 m euros).

then.. other vaccines will come, or are approved by some nations already, eg, Astra, in UK, india, maybe soon EU, or Johnson (sanofi will not be ready in 2021) but also can not produce sufficient amounts for "all". worldwide needed are approx 10bn doses.

that "forces" other nations, as eg, india to approve and use their own vaccines, eg Bharat, which did NOT publish any datas, eg from P1 or P2, P3 not finished yet....experts are horrified.
not much better are datas for eg, Sputnik and also the chinese vaccine candidates did not apply for approval in US, EU, UK.
Why should they? its complicated and 2nd and 3rd world countries will not ask a lot, and often even do not know what questions to ask.
now they "circle around" non-developed countries and offer vaccines.. for certain conditions...
Gueterres spoke..but it seems that will not help a lot.

in china it is only (80%) sinopharm which got approval from chinese gov.

the other vaccine in line, Sinovac (china version 2) was sold to Turkey, which got no approval yet, neither form china nor Turkey.
Turkey is under way "testing" it, whatever this means.
how efficient Sinovac is.. nobody knows really.
a month ago or so, TR said that they do not want Sputnik, maybe they reviewed? (it could be... that both decisions are reasoned in above mentioned "vaccine politics"..? )

50m Sinovac doses ordered for TR would mean that of 84m people only 25m can be vaccinated in 2021, approx 30%, far off the 60-70% needed. TR may get 30 m doses from Biontech.. as CEO and founders of biontech are of turkish origin.. (?)

if, as stated, the TRNC will get 500k Sinovac doses, that would mean for 250k people. more than double as for TR people.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 41 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Bit worried about the china version .....................

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

I am happy to have it. If it was a choice probably Oxford not sure about the storage protocols for the Pfizer ones being kept. Not too worried about the Chinese one if it has been through testing. As I understand it UK ordered early and got the Pfizer one at 1 more euro than the EU per dose but may also be down to the govt taking partial liability on it too. The Oxford vaccine is being rolled out at cost I beleive.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

sammydavis wrote:
Tue 05 Jan 2021 12:59 pm
Bit worried about the china version .....................
Why is that? Is it because if you wanted World domination the old fashioned way was to win a war? Generally you win a war by killing most of the oppositions people and wrecking their economy?
Bit like buying a fire extinguisher from someone who you might believe set fire to your house?

Don't worry I'm sure the one over here won't have a made in China label on if you express a preference. If you say you want the UK vaccine I'm sure they will ensure that the label say's made in UK ;)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

I guess some are confident that the vaccine will make you immune from covid 19 and all subsequent covids? Hopefully they are right.
So if you believe that and ensure that all your friends and family get immunised then why get too excited if some choose not to?
It won't effect you will it, you're immune.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

1.3 Million injections done so far in UK as of 5pm this evening. 24% of the over 80s done. ....it ain’t perfect but it’s a decent start.

The EU are arguing over who get what and France have only done 500 so far according to their press.

The Dutch and Germans have confirmed they are following the UK s lead and now going to go 12 weeks between jabs in a boost to get more coverage.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 9 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

well, yes, France messed it up a bit... but, its not over yet, so we will see what will come..

germany did NOT confirm to follow the UK s "lead".

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

So Germany are not allowing longer times between the first and second injections??

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 41 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Absolutely the vaccine needs to be taken up by the general population.
Vaccines are not so complicated or new and are very successful at controlling risk and threat from viral infections.
The COVID vaccines were more than likely designed on a compute once the genome was determined.
The mode in which the virus attaches to host cells is much the same as cold and flu viruses.

People should certainly not be afraid of the vaccine. Of the virus YES.
Get vaccinated to supress the virus within the community and stay safe and protected
If it is allowed to sustain itself within a community it will continue to mutate and become stronger.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

I have no plans to have a vaccine - much in the same way I have no interest in the flu jab.

If airlines/countries make it a prerequisite for travel I will have it.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 41 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Take the vaccine! Any of those on offer! Have it recorded that you took it for TRNC citizens record it by ID card number, for non citizens recorded by passport number! The same goes for those who refuse to take it, recorded as refusal by ID/Passport number! Keep it simple.

If UK did the same thing - by NI number/Passport number for the vaccine the Government would have an accurate count of population for one thing and a way of triage for those who have Covid as well. No vaccine - no NHS! Hard but fair but it would never happen due to UK populations inbred fear of identity theft!

The UK likes to think it is free and refuses to have ID cards in case “Somebody” finds out who they are - yet happily posts their most intimate details on Facebook - beggars belief! Go on, Save the NHS and let those who refuse the vaccine pay for their own care should they prove Covid positive.

Tin hat on, back in my cave whilst ETS and Waz argue it all out!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

happyinthesun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 41 in Discussion

Post by happyinthesun »

Seems the Brits are all excited by an online administered vaccine......well with Bozo in charge what's to say it won't be offered. (:Q)

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Totally agree Waddo!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 41 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

With you 100% Waddo. Same goes for people here. If expats start getting all prissy about it, then the TRNC will, quite rightly, assume that we're not interested in the country's general health. As far as we're concerned, nothing could be further from the truth.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

I also agree with Waddo. Those who have the vaccine should have some way of proving they have been jabbed and so can carry on a ' normal ' life. Those who refuse the jab should not be allowed to fly or be treated in hospitals. After all it was their choice. It works both ways. Take air travel. Those who have had the vaccine will feel more comfortable knowing that everyone on the flight has been responsible enough to have had a vaccine. And would see all on the flight as common ground citizens. Anti vaxers would not feel the same degree of comfort surely if they were surrounded by people who had taken the vaccine, because they would be putting themselves at risk. These zombies who had been injected with the ' control drug ' could be planning to hijack the plane if they had been programmed to do this by THEM!!!!!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Tue 05 Jan 2021 10:50 pm
I have no plans to have a vaccine - much in the same way I have no interest in the flu jab.
Me neither but I doubt we are going to get much choice in it tbh.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Wed 06 Jan 2021 8:46 am
I also agree with Waddo. Those who have the vaccine should have some way of proving they have been jabbed and so can carry on a ' normal ' life. Those who refuse the jab should not be allowed to fly or be treated in hospitals. After all it was their choice. It works both ways. Take air travel. Those who have had the vaccine will feel more comfortable knowing that everyone on the flight has been responsible enough to have had a vaccine. And would see all on the flight as common ground citizens. Anti vaxers would not feel the same degree of comfort surely if they were surrounded by people who had taken the vaccine, because they would be putting themselves at risk. These zombies who had been injected with the ' control drug ' could be planning to hijack the plane if they had been programmed to do this by THEM!!!!!
The vaccine obviously won't stop you from getting or carrying covid. It should diminish your symptoms to a degree where the health services will not be overwhelmed.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 41 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Hedge-fund, that is the whole idea. It will never be a cure because it mutates to fast so what will cure it now, won’t cure it in the next person it passes onto. However, it will provide you with a line of defence against the worst effects and allow people to self medicate in the same way that the majority do with the common cold. There will always be those who do nothing and log up the NHS needlessly but you can not win them all! Even the H1N1 or Spanish flu was never cured and is still found today but it did mutate again and again and humans developed an immunity to it in the vast majority of people. Covid 19 is similar and I suspect it will act in the same way once mass vaccinations have happened. I do believe it will be safer to have the vaccine - any vaccine - than not. But who really knows?

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 22 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Me neither but I doubt we are going to get much choice in it tbh.

one grab to the b**** and here we are...

the vaccine obviously won't stop you from getting or carrying covid.

thats not sure.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Agree Waddo.

Personally I am not in any at risk group for flu or covid so wouldn't want to get in the way of anyone else wanting a jab. I'm happy to deal with any symptoms of either.

As I've said, if I need one to fly I will get one.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

https://www.israelhayom.com
Israel plans to launch a pilot of its "green passport" program on Jan. 5. The plan calls to issue Israelis vaccinated against COVID and recovered COVID patients with "green passports," which will be logged in a new Health Ministry application. The passports will be valid for one year

Kay123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Kay123 »

When we were young we had polio, measles and TB vaccines to stop those diseases. We didn’t question whether to do it or not and all were eradicated pretty quickly. This is the same....why are people questioning the vaccine....it’s been tested and has gone through rigorous tests since Covid was discovered. We should all act responsibly to protect ourselves and everyone around us.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 26 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

So Germany are not allowing longer times between the first and second injections??

german health minister Spahn reg Biontech today: second injection after 42 days latest .
also: no mix of manufacturers.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Kay123 wrote:
Wed 06 Jan 2021 5:52 pm
When we were young we had polio, measles and TB vaccines to stop those diseases. We didn’t question whether to do it or not and all were eradicated pretty quickly. This is the same....why are people questioning the vaccine....it’s been tested and has gone through rigorous tests since Covid was discovered. We should all act responsibly to protect ourselves and everyone around us.
I believe the polio vaccine took 7 years to develop before it was rolled out, measles 9 years and TB 13 years.
But I guess over the last 50-70 years a lot of progress has been made and I'm sure the tests have been vigorous on the usually large sample.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 28 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

before you start to believe and guess, you could use your enormous sources of research and find out
- eg, how long it took to develop TWO polio vaccines and
- WHY it was possible to develop a sars cov 2 vaccine in a far shorter time.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Wed 06 Jan 2021 11:36 pm
before you start to believe and guess,
I'm very happy for you and others to voluntarily go before me.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 30 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

I'm very happy for you and others to voluntarily go before me.

well, that can change quickly.
eg, when i consider your age and mine and if you need a "green passport" to fly, you fast will change from a redneck to an opportunist and get your jabs before me.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Thu 07 Jan 2021 12:10 pm

well, that can change quickly.
eg, when i consider your age and mine and if you need a "green passport" to fly, you fast will change from a redneck to an opportunist and get your jabs before me.
Of course you can always force anyone to do anything with enough leverage.
I'm a redneck now?
Well tbh I don't think I can beat a German in a queue

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 32 of 41 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

redneck, whatever..
maybe the founder of Breitbartkibkom?, the Steve Bannon of this forum?
whatever...

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Thu 07 Jan 2021 1:11 pm
redneck, whatever..
maybe the founder of Breitbartkibkom?, the Steve Bannon of this forum?
whatever...
Keep it going, it bounces off me mate. What's the next step, bit of cancel culture I think you'll find.

I think dissident is probably more accurate eh?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 41 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ETS, thank you, I will certainly go before you given the chance. If it works I will be happy. If it kills me, then it is my time to die anyway.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Thu 07 Jan 2021 4:45 pm
ETS, thank you, I will certainly go before you given the chance. If it works I will be happy. If it kills me, then it is my time to die anyway.
You can be my canary ;)
Please don't get the Chinese one, it's like buying a fire extinguisher off an arsonist

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

You won’t have a choice which one you get cos they won’t be allowed to be sold. At present TRNC will be getting the China one from the millions Turkey have bought from them.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 41 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing - all unused due the vaccine - lol. Never had a problem with things made in China apart from their steel everything else has been ok. My phone and smart watch work fine and my socks don’t wear out as fast as those made in UK, so if it is the “Fortune Cookie” brand then so be it, better that than “Sputnik” for me, would not put it past the FSB to add a tiny bit of “Tell me your Secrets” into that - lol. Life is a game of chance anyway and at this age and having had a good run so far, I will take the chance. Better to burn out than to fade away!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Yes. It will be the only way people can start to travel once again, so a no brainer for me.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 41 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

waddo wrote:
Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:52 am
Take the vaccine! Any of those on offer! Have it recorded that you took it for TRNC citizens record it by ID card number, for non citizens recorded by passport number! The same goes for those who refuse to take it, recorded as refusal by ID/Passport number! Keep it simple.

If UK did the same thing - by NI number/Passport number for the vaccine the Government would have an accurate count of population for one thing and a way of triage for those who have Covid as well. No vaccine - no NHS! Hard but fair but it would never happen due to UK populations inbred fear of identity theft!

The UK likes to think it is free and refuses to have ID cards in case “Somebody” finds out who they are - yet happily posts their most intimate details on Facebook - beggars belief! Go on, Save the NHS and let those who refuse the vaccine pay for their own care should they prove Covid positive.

Totally agree with this position :+1:)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 41 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:

Sorry Waddo missed this originally.
I wouldn't argue with much of this post and particularly agree with the take on Facebook!

Re ID cards I am pro ID cards but as I recall when they were last mooted they were quite expensive so struck me as a form of taxation. I'm in favour of voter ID but want the issue of free ID. I don't want to price someone out of voting I just want them to vote once.

My main gripe with ID cards was it was pretty clear it wouldn't have any teeth in that if someone was asked for their ID card there was no come back if they refused and would be an infringement on their human rights to insist.
So what that means is all those who are law abiding will pay their money and carry around their ID and produce it on request. Those who maybe the ID card is looking to catch out such as illegal immigrants won't.
Its a bit like a census. It will be fairly accurate because most will fill it in and there are fines if you don't but I am cynical enough to think if you are in the UK illegally you might just risk the fine.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 41 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

waddo wrote:

In the real world this is exactly what should happen, but unfortunately our politicians don’t inhabit the real world.

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”