Where does the money go?

Need advice from The British Residents Society in North Cyprus? Find out about and help charities in the TRNC.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

carrierbag
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Where does the money go?

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by carrierbag »

WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?

As you are aware Tulips - Help Those With Cancer is dependent on the generosity of the general public and a significant part of their income is generated through fund raising events.

During these events we are quite often asked about the type of services/information which Tulips offer and the cost of these so we thought it would be useful to publish this information produced by the Cancer Support Team.

Tulips operating costs are over TL100,000 per month and this year has seen a big increase in the number of cancer patients requiring support, rising from 2 to 3 patients per day. This is in an addition to the high number of patients which Tulips are already supporting daily estimated around 1700.

In conclusion, Tulips is a self funding association which is helping those affected with this dreadful illness by offering help, guidance and vital information.

This couldn't be achieved without your SUPPORT
Attachments
New Cancer Information  Leaflet-Support.jpg

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Where does the money go?

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Art »

Send your request to Tulips.

I'm sure they will help you .

We visit the association on a regular basis and are impressed with the small group of staff who work hard to raise money and support the many other services which Tulips provide.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to your-I spent most of yesterday fund raising for EFRAR so I've only just picked up your comments.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

Shouldn't you be asking Tulips not on this Forum?

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

If you need more answers ask Tulips doubt anyone on here can you tell you if people are paid.

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Art »

Yes and I agree entirely with your comments.

May I also add that Tulips did not post this article -it was written by me but posted by Carrierbag who is currently undergoing cancer treatment in the UK.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Oh dear,, oh dear , here we go again! At least I did not start it this time but I have to say I agree with the original poster and I completely fail to understand why an organisation which asks people via a forum to contribute their money should have the least objection to requests on the forum to know how it is spent.

I am also personally very confused. I Previously was under the impression that Tulips raised money for equipment and machinery for cancer treatment and NCCT handled more personal assistance - though not exactly what , and I assume it does not include nursing? Is there anyone who can enlighten me, and maybe others, as to the respective roles of these organisations I really dont see how more information can do anything but good to either organisation. The post that we now know was written by Art purports to give information but really tells nothing at all about what Tulips actually do and how.

I had also not realised that Tulips ,or indeed any other expat Charity (apart from KAR which is a different situation) employed staff let alone had official premises. Whether or not right or justified it is the sort of thing that people ought to know about and where Forums are so valuable. I am grateful lurcher for enlightening my ignorance

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

Click on the attachment to enlarge easier to read the information.

transit
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by transit »

I can only explain the role of The North Cyprus Cancer Charity Trust (NCCCT) The charity purchases essential equipment for the hospitals. There are no expenses taken and all committee members and volunteers work in a voluntary capacity. Every lira raised goes towards this purpose.

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Art »

Thank you for explaining the role of the NCCT -another great charity organisation doing fabulous work in the community.

Tulips are more involved with patient care which I thought was clearly covered in my article

More detailed information concerning Tulips is freely available on the following Facebook pages.

EFRAR -2017
Tulips/Help those with Cancer Assosiation
Cancer Support TRNC-Tulips.

Barbieb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Barbieb »

Lurcher you should go and visit the Tulips office, and ask them for facts and figures, then maybe you would like to find out hard it is to organise a fund raiser for Tulips, which after you have gathered all the requested information I am certain you will want to, and I would like to assure that all fundraiser's do so voluntarily and I for one take no expenses, even though, petrol, telephone and sundries all have a cost!
Without the help and medical care from Tulips I would like to assure you there is no assistance on this part of the Island, so god help the cynics if they are ever struck by this terrible illness, especially if they have destroyed one of the most needed and respected charities in Northern Cyprus.
Just as a footnote, I am sorry I don't have correct facts and figures to print, therefore I cannot answer your questions, but I have done enough research of Tulips to want to spend a lot of my time (at my own expense) fundraising and supporting them!

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Art »

Great idea.

And perhaps Lurcher will share his / her views with everyone following the visit.

We live in hope.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thank you very much indeed Transit, for your clear explanation. I realise now that I had transposed the roles of Tulips and NCCCT! Understandable I hope as there are so many "good causes" asking for money and help that it is sometimes confusing and difficult to know what to do. I am sure that both of these are very worth and equally necessary. I am also sure that the more organisations are open and accessible the more support they will get

Unfortunately not all of use or want to use, Facebook, nor (though I dont know about Lurcher) are we physically able to visit NIcoisa..

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Do contact Tulips direct to get answers as they may not come on the forum. However, do bear in mind that many charities do employ staff to help raise funding, which would usually far outweigh what they get paid. There is nothing wrong with that, paid staff may work full time, unlike volunteers, and may make a big difference in the amount of donations a charity may receive.

I do not know the answer to the question, but am sure that members of Tulips are very approachable and will happily answer any questions put to them.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Bernie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Bernie »

My wife and I cannot answer any of the queries above about Tulips in an official capacity but for goodness sake if people got their heads out of the sand and read what has previously been on this forum and in many media outlets they would have read many times that Tulips picks up the 'tab' that the government will not.

Tulips has to pay for staff, it pays for nurses on the oncology ward in the state hospital, they pay for mobile nurses and carers for those too sick to attend hospital, they have drivers to take the sick, elderly and those unable to get or too afford to travel to their appointments and if any of you had noticed they are not only looking after the patients but also the families as well ... check out the food appeals for those who are too poor to feed themselves and their families.

We do not understand this obsession with paying for staff, how many of you have supported Macmillan or Barnardo's etc etc? They all pay for staff and that's because sometimes it is necessary!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Is it not overeacting to say that one simple question is a "obsession with paying for staff"? There have from time to time been stories of UK and International Charities carrying heavy overheads in relation to offfices and office staff - even using paid "professional" fund raisers. People may have this in the back of their minds and not fully appreciate the different conditions here.

None the less I am grateful to Bernie for the fuller explanation of what Tulips do: I think perhaps we (ceertainly I ) get somewhat overwhelmed by the number of media reports of the social activities of various charities, and dont always pick up what they actually do!

Return to “CHARITY & SOCIETY - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”