Daewoo expert needed !

Plumbers - Electricians - Plasterers - Decorators - Builders - Construction Companies

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Ozangirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Daewoo expert needed !

•   Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

Post by Ozangirl »

I am having problems with my Daewoo freezer, it is a double fronted digitalised American style fridge / freezer. The top half and door pockets will not freeze, I have already had an electrician out to it, he totally stripped it out and checked everything, but said if it still doesn't work to get a Daewoo engineer out as it is digital, easier said than done here in Cyprus ! bought the fridge from a supplier about 3-4 years ago and they are no longer around ! Can anyone help please? call Sharon 0533 8409473

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Daewoo expert needed !

•   Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The answer might just be simpler (although messier!) than you think...

From experience with my own American Style Fridge/Freezer, and from stuff that others have put on the forum, is appears that sometimes ice builds up around the temperature sensor which controls the compressor.

There is often a fan (whose job it is to ensure that cold air is spread evenly throughout the compartment) which also gets jammed up with ice.

The sensor 'thinks' that the compartment is cold enough, and doesn't attempt to make it any cooler.

Because the fan isn't running either, all the cold air sits at the bottom of the fridge, and the warmer air rises to the top - and that's the way that it stays!

This can apply to both the fridge and freezer sections, so in the absence of any better advice, treat both compartments...

The cure - & this is the messy bit! - is to take all the food out, wrap it in blankets to keep it cool-ish, and leave the appliance's doors open, so that it defrosts thoroughly. This could take a couple of days... - although you can try to speed it up by placing bowls/buckets of hot water in the bottom of the appliance.

Dependent on how long it takes, you might be inclined to cook all the food at this point, or just 'chuck it' and start again...

Once all of the ice has melted, the fan will be free to run, the temperature sensor will work properly, and off you go!

One caveat: - sometimes there is a little heater element near the temperature sensor (the idea of this is that it will periodically defrost the fan/sensor area, and keep them operating OK) & if this heating element fails, you are liable to get a recurrence of ice build-up.

If the 'simple' cure doesn't work, ring Iceman or his son (numbers are on the forum, just do a search!) & they will sort it!

Return to “TRADESMEN - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”