New Book Club

Find out about activities taking place in TRNC. Out on holiday? Find out about Scubba Diving, Paragliding, Bird Watching, Hiking Trips, Fishing and much more...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

New Book Club

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

Is anyone interested in joining a new book club? The idea is that we would meet monthly at members' houses and all read, bring, discuss and donate DIFFERENT books; in that way we can find somebody who has a similar taste to our own and read books they recommend. When books are expensive or relatively rare it is good to be able to borrow a book with a recommendation from someone who has similar tastes to our own.

By all of us reading different books we circumvent the problem of getting hold of multiple copies of the same book and also prevent the need to read and comment on books we haven't enjoyed!! Personally I hate being in a book club where one or more people make it a competition to find the most obscure messages within the text! If I want to read chick lit I am happy to do that, I don't often want or need to read books that have an obscure 'message'.

If/when the club is up and running we would all pay a small sum of money each month, amount to be discussed, to the next month's host who would then go out and buy new to the book club books. These books would then be available for all book club members to borrow for a month. At the next meeting we would describe what we had read, whether we liked it and whether we considered it worth reading in terms of enjoyment.

If anyone is interested in setting up such a book club please contact me on this forum with your phone or e mail address. I'll then contact you to discuss possible days/times. Remember this is potentially a book club where we all read DIFFERENT books, no one needs to feel intimidated by the idea of reading and commenting on highbrow books! Looking forward to hearing from all you readers! Jane M

Mint1955
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: New Book Club

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Mint1955 »

What area are you looking at?

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

I am in Karsiyaka and was envisaging having members from Catalkoy to Karsiyaka. I think Esentepe is too far out. It will depend on who shows an interest and where they live. Hopefully we'll get around 12 members as not everyone turns up to every meeting and it is difficult to cater to more than 12 at home.

What do you think of this idea? Where do you live? Jane

Spiceisnice
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Spiceisnice »

sounds like a really good idea

archieibrown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by archieibrown »

Please is this still happening?

katecornwell
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by katecornwell »

Yes it is up and running and the next meeting as we had one last night is now in December. So if you want to join call me Regards Kate

Return to “ACTIVITIES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”