Quad Bike Activities

Find out about activities taking place in TRNC. Out on holiday? Find out about Scubba Diving, Paragliding, Bird Watching, Hiking Trips, Fishing and much more...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Phorrent
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Quad Bike Activities

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Phorrent »

Hi

We rent our villa out for the Summer months

I have a nice lady enquiring about booking for next year and she has asked if the any quad bike type activities for her teenage children. Does anybody know of any?

Also, is Zet cars go carts near Lefkosa still going?

Finally, any other suggestions for teenage type activities would be welcome

Birching is not an acceptable suggestion

Thanks
Alan

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Quad Bike Activities

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Quad bikes are classified as tractors here and you need a tractor driver's licence...

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Groucho, I think that law only applies to those over 95 with living parents! The 10 to 20 year olds that race up and down my mountain road when they are out here on holiday certainly have no tractor license - or maybe they do and gained it in another country, UK for instance? Just in fun, have you ever seen the tractor driving license test? It is very strict and involves moving forwards AND backwards but not turning, braking, indicating or anything super difficult like that! I spent a merry 3 minutes watching it last year and was enthralled by difficulties encountered by the driver - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

Alan

There is nowhere to hire Quad bikes and Zet Karting closed long ago , there is only Cemsa (Opposite NEU ), Left at the Gonyeli roundabout and first left at the traffic lights
(Advertising Restricted)

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Phorrent, sorry to have to say this but I'm delighted to hear it is difficult to hire a Quad bike. We have have a posse of them who regularly roar up down our road (just had two of the "ooops" 5 minutes ago) They then go off road and you can hear and see them up and down ravines and fire breaks. If they are out when we walk the dogs then we risk life and limb. The more difficult it is to buy or hire them the better as far as we are concerned. Sorry if I seem a spoil sport, but there it is.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

Thank you, Sophie. Glad I am not the only one being driven to distraction by the deafening racket from quad bikes.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

waddo wrote:Groucho, I think that law only applies to those over 95 with living parents! The 10 to 20 year olds that race up and down my mountain road when they are out here on holiday certainly have no tractor license - or maybe they do and gained it in another country, UK for instance? Just in fun, have you ever seen the tractor driving license test? It is very strict and involves moving forwards AND backwards but not turning, braking, indicating or anything super difficult like that! I spent a merry 3 minutes watching it last year and was enthralled by difficulties encountered by the driver - lol.
The point I was making was that the classification precludes any chance of hire for tourists...

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

Relevent to the OP's question how ???
(Advertising Restricted)

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

ttoli wrote:Relevent to the OP's question how ???
They seemed to be asking if they can make use of quad bikes activities here and no company runs such a business because of the licencing difficulties... I thought it was quite easy to understand. Obviously not. When we first came here we wondered why no one was running a quad bike adventure business but when we realised the way quad bikes are classified we could clearly see why...

Of course there are plenty of locals who flout the law run- quad bikes with no licence, no insurance, underage etc. but we wouldn't expect a responsible adult to let their young relations take part in such activities... When we first visited Cyprus we met some folk whose daughter has lost all the toes on one foot when it got caught in the drive chain of a quad bike that she was riding pillion on....

I also used to work with a chap who raced them... he was always breaking legs and arms and ending up in traction - they tip over easily and in the hands of an inexperienced driver are quite lethal.

Phorrent
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Phorrent »

Thank you everybody for clarifying the situation

Much appreciated

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Groucho, And the point I was trying to make was that there are lots of "Non-Cypriots" who have purchased Quad Bikes and allow their children to ride them anyway - you may know them as swallows but I simply class them as tourists as they don't live here. There is no law against purchase, only against riding without a license.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

waddo wrote:Groucho, And the point I was trying to make was that there are lots of "Non-Cypriots" who have purchased Quad Bikes and allow their children to ride them anyway - you may know them as swallows but I simply class them as tourists as they don't live here. There is no law against purchase, only against riding without a license.
Then I would refer you to ttoli's post...

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

You can blame the first chap David who started the quad bike business in late 90's early 2000, why they are classed as tractor, the import duty was far cheaper and his original bikes were imported as farm machinery.. Several people have tried running Quad safari as a business but all seem to have been knocking their heads against the walls since 2005/6.

unfortunately when they became the must have 'toy' ,the government classified to be luxurious item and the road tax rose to 4 figures, this is when the large number of them became un taxed and used more to get from villages to mountains.

Its a shame as the mountain region could so easily be accessed and enjoyed by quads if only people would use them with the brain cells they were born with instead of all this Adrenaline rush pursuit.

Return to “ACTIVITIES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”