South road tax

Find out about activities taking place in TRNC. Out on holiday? Find out about Scubba Diving, Paragliding, Bird Watching, Hiking Trips, Fishing and much more...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

gates
Business contributing to forum

South road tax

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Hi just wondering if anyone has tried to get road tax at materhan board recently. How long it last. Also is there still great quews

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: South road tax

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

if you are a British Citizen , they issue a 1 day permit at Metehan which lasts until midnight.
Queues are not very long.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Is it British Citizen or driver of a car registered in the North?

(Would an EU citizen driving a northern registered car still only be given one day?)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mowgli597, As I understand the current standing - it is the person who actually owns the vehicle that is the important factor - If the vehicle is owned by a TC then he/she can take it across and get a 1 year tax exemption certificate but all drivers have to be named on that form. I understand that the same applies to a EU citizen, which is why the TC's can go and any other EU citizen but NOT a British - non EU citizen.

Those non EU citizens who are allowed to cross the green line can only take and drive a TRNC vehicle registered to themselves! My wife is the owner of both our cars but I am not allowed to drive (legally) either in the RoC due to this rule. The tax exemption certificate issued to a non EU citizen is different from that issued to TC/EU citizens and only allows a single crossing per day. It is not even a full 24 hr permission as it is not issued till 08:00 and expires at 23:59 the same date!

It would be interesting to know if any British citizen is allowed longer than the single day IF they are driving a UK registered vehicle that is registered in their own names!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

A friend told me that one is allowed only a single day of car tax, but I could not believe it. We live near Paphos, and this new rule means that our friends from the north cannot visit us? And there is no work around, such as going online and paying for additional days? It sound like they are trying to force people to hire cars in the south.

Apologies for my ignorance. I have only just heard about this.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

blueparrot, Quite correct, only one day now for those of us who used to be EU citizens but have been "Brexited" into 3rd country nationals - lol. A very silly and strange move by the RoC I am afraid, it has stopped many people from shopping in the RoC (Loss of that income) as the one day rule makes it very difficult. Also there are not so many people buying insurance for the RoC (More loss of income) as they no longer drive across there and finally those of us who used to enjoy visiting friends/family in the RoC or simply having a holiday there and visiting new places now can not do that at all (More loss of income) which is sad.

However, it is all down to the RoC and not the EU as to what rules and laws they wish to impose, so it seems we are no longer welcome there!

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

It would be interesting to know if any British citizen is allowed longer than the single day IF they are driving a UK registered vehicle that is registered in their own names!
[/quote]

if you are a British Citizen and driving a British Registered car and you have insurance and tax still in the UK , then there is no need for a TOM or insurance for the South so technically there is no need to obtain a TOM document.

I drove my British registered car , fully insured and taxed in the UK simultaneously being taxed and insured in the TRNC and that is allowed without the need of buying extra insurance ( for the south ) and obtaining the Road Tax ( ToM for the South)

Documents for driving in Cyprus
A valid, full UK driving licence (you must also be 18 or over)
Your motor insurance certificate
The V5 registration document for your own car.
vehicles registered in the UK must display the letters “UK” when driven in Cyprus.

Like the UK, Cyprus is a member of the Green Card System, a Europe-wide scheme that allows countries to recognise foreign vehicle insurance policies of visiting motorists.
UK motorists are no longer required to carry a green card to drive in Cyprus, but you should check that your policy will cover you in Cyprus. ( it should do )

gates

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Does not ring funny tha a Tc or Turk gets a year . How come as they are not in the EU yet a Brit gets a half day. Is this not pregesty. I don’t get it. What happens if you unfortunately break down and can’t get your car back. Perhaps have to stay the night. Why are they picking on Uk. Russians not in the UN in fact there in a lot of places nobody wants them. Good old Greeks . Mind you they lie and cheat or they would not be in the EU there would be in the s—t

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Gates, you can't ask about the TC because you are talking about a Cypriot and all Cypriot's are EU citizens or are treated as such because they are Cypriots. No complaints from me here about the TC allowance of a year, it is their Island after all and I am very happy that they let me drive on their part of the Island all year round because I have a TRNC driving license!

Did not think that the Turk (mainland) could even drive in the ROC anyway so no problems with that if they can get away with it - lol.

It is just petty officialdom at it's best and the blind eye's of the BHC are helping the RoC in every way that they can. I learnt many years ago to place absolutely zero trust in BHC's and FCO's so what they have done to ease the situation is exactly what I expected - nothing but mealy mouth and sniggers.

Enough from me, must remember to eat before my evening beer - it makes my fingers work better - lol.

gates

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by gates »

I was not moaning about the cps getting there year what i am saying is the Greeks are picking us out. The high and might do nothing wrong liars . How long do they get to drive here seeing as this side is not in the EU half a day. Its a sad old world when life has given them the upper hand from lies

Return to “ACTIVITIES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”