Turkish Sausage

Share your recipes with other Kibkom members. Find out where to buy food & drink products in the TRNC.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

offshoredi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Turkish Sausage

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by offshoredi »

What is the best Turkish Sausage and do you have to cook them all. Is frying the best way to cook them? Love the Italian and German sausage

Ozankoy Best Butcher
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

Re: Turkish Sausage

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ozankoy Best Butcher »

Pastirma is my favourite, the one you see curing in cages in the sun outside butchers and hanging in links on the ends of shelves in shops. I`m told it used to be made from camel meat here, its now beef :-) Everyone has a slightly different recipe so its worth trying different ones, but its lovely skinned and sliced into rounds and popped into pitta with a slice of tomato on the bbq, the juices from the pastirma and the tomato soaks into the pitta and its really lovely :-)
Ozankoy Best Butchers, Yusuf Zorlukasap at 16 Muhtarlik Sok, Ozankoy, Girne.
Tel. 0533 870 3974, 815 6806, Facebook @OzankoyButchers

English and Cypriot cuts, sausages and sliced deli meats.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Same for me as above, especially nice in a Menemen, though my Cholesterol would disagree.

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

Had pastırma in a "Cypriot" burger the other day - beef patty, pastırma, hellim, fried egg - it really worked, tasted great, well worth trying at home

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Talking of things that work, perhaps we should have a thread for odd recipes that work. A while ago, the other M in MnM, wanted Vegetable Pasta instead of Veggie Sausage Pasta, which i also cook on charcoal. So i did Suçuk pasta for me and for her, Peppers, Peas, Sweetcorn, Onions, Mushrooms and Brussel Sprouts. I must admit the sprouts freaked her out. For obvious reason i don't let her cook for me.

offshoredi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by offshoredi »

Many thanks for your replies will try them out

artshenry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by artshenry »

Sucuk's a popular choice! You can cook most, frying works great. Italian and German sausages are awesome too!

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

You can't beat the Cypriot Sheftalia cooked over charcoal though IMHO. If you do try them on a BBQ don't make the same mistake I did the first time and put them on skewers. I ask around for them in the UK from time to time in Turkish shops. An "evet evet" initially raises my hopes, only to be dashed by a pile of Peaches :lol: (which are also nice BBQ'd).

Return to “FOOD & DRINK - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”