Redcurrant gin

Share your recipes with other Kibkom members. Find out where to buy food & drink products in the TRNC.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Kath
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Redcurrant gin

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Kath »

I have just finished the last of this I made couple of years ago - it was fabulous. I don't know the availability of redcurrants out there - probably only frozen. if you get a chance give it a go.

Redcurrant gin

• Makes: 75cl
• Prep time: 10 mins
(plus 2-3 months maturing)
• Total time: 10 mins
(plus 2-3 months maturing)

Ingredients

• 300g (10oz) redcurrants
• 150g (5oz) caster sugar
• 75cl bottle of gin

Method
1 Crush the redcurrants with the sugar, put in a jar, pour in the gin and seal.
2 Leave 2-3 months in a cool, dark place, shaking the jar daily for a month, then just when you remember.
3 Strain through a sieve, then through muslin and pour into a bottle.
4 Drink neat, or made into a gin and tonic, with lots of ice.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Redcurrant gin

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Kath: I have seen red currents in Shah, but the price they were for a tiny basket it would have made a very expensive drink.

I used to make Sloe Gin in the UK to the same recipe but I am sure sloes (which I could pick inthe wild for nothing) are not available here.

You CAN get oranges and cheap local brandy and it is possible to make a very pleasant brandy liqueur on the same principles , you would have to experiment a little with the proportions of sugar and spirit, I have loads of tarunç oranges going spare if you want them and are prepared to pick them youself.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Ragged Robin, there are similar fruits that grow wild here. They are small and purple ish in colour. they are called Yaban Eric by locals. I have used them years ago to make sloe gin and very nice it was too, even though i don't like gin. I think it was around summer time they are ripe.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I have 3 'damson' type trees. They seem to be a bit like a cross between wild damsons and plum, sweeter than damsons. there are quite a few little 'treelets' growing if anybody wants them, contact me when planning your next Karpaz trip.

Kath
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Kath »

Thanks for the offers. Bad year for Sloes in UK. Normally have a couple of bottles of Sloe Gin put down by now - fortunately I still have some fro a couple of years back guess will have to drink that! Happy New Year to you all

Return to “FOOD & DRINK - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”