Vegetarian / Vegan food availability

Share your recipes with other Kibkom members. Find out where to buy food & drink products in the TRNC.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

Vegetarian / Vegan food availability

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Would any Vegi / Vegan / Pescatarians, know of a good place to go for fresh or frozen food such as Sausages, Burgers, Vegi Curry, Prawn Curry, general things for quick meals?

One thing that is a bug bear even in the UK is getting the same type of V food for Mandy as my carnivorous equivalents. For ease of explanation, if we have a curry, i would have a Chicken Curry and try to get her a Prawn or Vegi Curry for Mandy. If i have Sausages and Mash, i get Mandy some Vegi Sausages etc.

Whilst it has taken since the 2013 Horse Meat scandal for food processors and manufacturers to start get their act together, Vegi / Vegan options are gradually picking up in the UK, but we do struggle in TRNC to find convenient V options.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Vegetarian / Vegan food availability

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Personally I don’t think UK carnivores should give another inch or else within 10 years we will be standing 50 yards from the door of a restaurant eating a steak outside in the rain.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

If you are talking processed vegetarian ready made products, it's a bit hit and miss. I have seen vegetarian sausages but not very often, they were expensive, and weren't very good either. There are savoury cheese/potato/spinach pastry products available frozen and at deli counters.
For a burger replacement, you could substitute large mushrooms.
For a curry, a jar of curry sauce or paste, use fresh veg, which won't take long to make, or use frozen prawns. Alternatively get a carry out.

If you are in the UK, you could always bring some veggie stuff out and stick in the freezer here.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, practically everything cooked from scratch in this household.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

I thought a vegan/vegetarian didn't eat any flesh at all, meat or fish. Just an observation as I had a friend who ate fish but not meat and was a pescatarian. I can recommend Rose Elliot for vegan/ vegetarian recipes.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Have purchased Linda McCartney veggie sausages from Sah, tastes pretty good.
Have noticed a Vegan Restaurant/Cafe next door to Kebab restaurant I have been to several times in Famagusta, it is near the EMU roundabout on the Famagusta - Bogaz road. As you pass the roundabout coming into Famagusta it is on the left approx 30 yards.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Alphamega in the south have a relatively large, comparative to what is available currently in the north, selection of vegetarian and vegan meals and products both frozen and fresh including tesco own brand products as well as brands like Linda McCartney and Beyond Meat products. Have to say as an avid meat eater the 'beyond meat' burgers, whilst not cheap are incredibly 'meaty'.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

I would go to one of the local Indian restaurants here and get veggie curries etc made to take home to freeze.
Take them home as take aways. Most of them also do aubergine bake and Rafters do
es a cracking vegetable stir fry.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

It's amazing what processed foods are coming out as vegan/vegetarian these days. I was horrified at "bleeding" veggie burgers which would be like a rare burger. It's beetroot based, but what the heck have they done to it? I'd rather just have a bit of beetroot. I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years now, and the thought of eating something that looks like a half raw bit of beef turns my stomach.

Perhaps the veg sausages/burgers that meat eaters like are getting like more the real thing, and why I don't like them. What concerns me is the processing and additives to make them more like meat. There obviously is a market, and I can sort of see the attraction for someone starting to become vegetarian/vegan.

Enjoying the Sun - Chill. No one is threatening you eating what you want to eat. Albeit I'd rather you didn't share a table with me with a fish with eyes on your plate.

MaisieMoo - You are correct. Anyone who eats fish/shellfish is not a vegetarian but a pescatarian. I've had a hard time trying to tell restaurants here that vegetarians don't eat fish or chicken, due to people saying they are vegetarians, when they are clearly not. It is a bit better nowadays than it was years ago.

Yes and no
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Yes and no »

Why don’t you just make your own veggie vegan or fish dishes and freeze them,keep some in the fridge,just spend an afternoon in the kitchen with google or you tube.

JayJaycbg
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JayJaycbg »

I have never found processed vegan or vegetarian items here that are as good as home made. They are also expensive. If you are on Fb, check out Sarah's Healthy Lifestyle for plant based ideas. I would be glad to hear from anyone who has found nutritional yeast in the North. Not going south until residency completed

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Maisiemoo wrote:I thought a vegan/vegetarian didn't eat any flesh at all, meat or fish. Just an observation as I had a friend who ate fish but not meat and was a pescatarian. I can recommend Rose Elliot for vegan/ vegetarian recipes.
Sorry Maisiemoo i should have mentioned Mandy is Pescatarian and will eat any Veggie / Vegan food. Who / where / what is Rose Elliot though?

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Many thanks for all the replies. At home Mandy does cook most of her own food either fresh or frozen but unfortunately as we will only be coming out for a week or two here and there, (at the moment), it would be easier to just buy a pack of Veggie Beefburgers or Sausages just to stick in the oven with some chips or boil some potatoes and knock up a salad when time is short. Also, she is a cook in a carehome and so the last thing she wants to do when on holiday is slave over a cooker. She wont even watch MasterChef in the evenings because she's looking at food all day - and i love that programme just for the odd occasion that Monica Galetti is on there.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

MnM wrote:...Who / where / what is Rose Elliot though?
https://www.roseelliot.com/

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

MnM wrote:Many thanks for all the replies. At home Mandy does cook most of her own food either fresh or frozen but unfortunately as we will only be coming out for a week or two here and there, (at the moment), it would be easier to just buy a pack of Veggie Beefburgers or Sausages just to stick in the oven with some chips or boil some potatoes and knock up a salad when time is short. Also, she is a cook in a carehome and so the last thing she wants to do when on holiday is slave over a cooker. She wont even watch MasterChef in the evenings because she's looking at food all day - and i love that programme just for the odd occasion that Monica Galetti is on there.
Quite agree with Mandy not wanting to cook when over here for a holiday, different if living here for months or full time. I think you'd probably be better bringing some chilled veggie favourites over from UK and sticking in the fridge/freezer when you get here. For a curry, just get a takeaway, will probably do two meals, and takeaway pizza or pide is nice if you want to eat at home with a bit of salad from the deli.

Return to “FOOD & DRINK - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”