Dinning out

Share your recipes with other Kibkom members. Find out where to buy food & drink products in the TRNC.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Dinning out

•   Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

2 poppadoms + Chicken tandoori ,+mixed starter.+Curry sauce+peswari narn, + rice+2xbombay and Toni+1 whiskey and sprit+2 ice cream deserts total 560tl where Al Shaheen Saturday

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Dinning out

•   Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

And?

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Green beans plus Pitta bread 50 tl my shopping today

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Reyntj wrote:
Mon 07 Nov 2022 4:50 pm
Green beans plus Pitta bread 50 tl my shopping today

OK, you've got me!

Could I have the recipe please?

I do realise that you would also be using stuff that you already had...

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Sorry was just acting daft..I did cook some chicken schintzel with the green beans though ..and put them in the pitta bread as a sandwich have to say it was average but filling .

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Now if that was me, I'd have added a slither of pickle and a drizzle of Mayo, takes it above average!!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

:+1:)
Reyntj wrote:
Tue 08 Nov 2022 11:49 am
Sorry was just acting daft..I did cook some chicken schintzel with the green beans though ..and put them in the pitta bread as a sandwich have to say it was average but filling .

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Panchocat wrote:
Mon 07 Nov 2022 11:11 am
And?
And What ?

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Post on Facebook from a friend of mine prompted my post and the things we ordered as a comparison : - Went to an Indian restaurant last night in Alsancak This time last year they used to have a special for 150tl for 2 courses and a drink it then went up to 200tl.Four of us went last night we had two starters and four popodoms My main on its own was 265tl now 165tl for rice.We all had a main with rice couple of drinks each l had tonic as l don't drink.
The total bill was 1.800tl this is UK prices.
Even charged extra for coffee
We won't be going back again.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

tutor4u wrote:
Wed 09 Nov 2022 10:52 am

This time last year they used to have a special for 150tl for 2 courses and a drink it then went up to 200tl.Four of us went last night we had two starters and four popodoms My main on its own was 265tl now 165tl for rice.We all had a main with rice couple of drinks each l had tonic as l don't drink.
TBF this time last year the sterling to TL rate was 13.2 whereas it is now 21.3.

9 November 2022 - 1800TL = £84

9 November 2021 - 1800TL = £136 or
9 November 2022 - 1100TL = £84

I got a meat delivery a few weeks ago for the first time in a long while & thought jeez that’s gone up but when I took into account the rate change & factored in inflation it was fair.

Plus we decided to lock the world down for 2 years, there was always going to be a bill

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 09 Nov 2022 12:28 pm
tutor4u wrote:

This time last year they used to have a special for 150tl for 2 courses and a drink it then went up to 200tl.Four of us went last night we had two starters and four popodoms My main on its own was 265tl now 165tl for rice.We all had a main with rice couple of drinks each l had tonic as l don't drink.
TBF this time last year the sterling to TL rate was 13.2 whereas it is now 21.3.

9 November 2022 - 1800TL = £84

9 November 2021 - 1800TL = £136 or
9 November 2022 - 1100TL = £84

I got a meat delivery a few weeks ago for the first time in a long while & thought jeez that’s gone up but when I took into account the rate change & factored in inflation it was fair.

Plus we decided to lock the world down for 2 years, there was always going to be a bill

Agreed👍

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

I think you have missed the point, guys, it seems to be the objective from some resturants to overcharge for fairly simple food. I am not against folk making a profit, but there are limits the amount you can charge customers. I know of several resturants that have closed due to lack of custom, maybe their green beans were too expensive. ((/))

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

tutor4u wrote:
Wed 09 Nov 2022 3:57 pm
I think you have missed the point, guys, it seems to be the objective from some resturants to overcharge for fairly simple food. I am not against folk making a profit, but there are limits the amount you can charge customers. I know of several resturants that have closed due to lack of custom, maybe their green beans were too expensive. ((/))
I guess all restaurants have been running on fumes over the last couple of years due to the lockdown & travel restrictions. I agree some might be tempted to make up the short falls in the short term by really pushing up the prices but as with all things the market will decide & if they are overcharging then they won’t get the custom. I think those that can afford to do so have to accept it’s going to be a long road back to viability & cash in the bank but not all might be able to afford the long game

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

tutor4u wrote:
Post on Facebook from a friend of mine prompted my post and the things we ordered as a comparison : - Went to an Indian restaurant last night in Alsancak This time last year they used to have a special for 150tl for 2 courses and a drink it then went up to 200tl.Four of us went last night we had two starters and four popodoms My main on its own was 265tl now 165tl for rice.We all had a main with rice couple of drinks each l had tonic as l don't drink.
Even charged extra for coffee
We won't be going back again.
We first went to this restaurant just over a year ago, it was 100 TL for that deal then, how times change.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

I had a karasik doner service today in famagusta for 80 tl it was hardly fine dining but i was pleasantly surprised at the quantity and quality of meat there was chips rice lots of pitta bread a big salad yoghurt and the pickled veg . The price of a coffee now in UK.
Probably the coffee would have been a healthier option.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Globally prices have gone up due to higher than normal inflation more so here in the TRNC.

Food prices in restaurants have to go up as the ingredients required to make the food has more than doubled here, and also the Minimum wage has doubled since last year
The price of meat, chicken , vegetables and spices are at astronomical levels more than ever and i am sure we all see this in our own weekly shopping bills.

Therefore Food places are no different and THEY TOO ARE paying for higher wages, Electricity, Gas, Rent, petrol, Ingredient prices and higher expenses all round.

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

I don’t know any restaurant who have not been forced to increase prices
You only need to see how supermarket prices have increased….couple that up with rising energy costs..plus salary increase ( no matter how small) overhaul running a restaurant has been hit with increased running costs.
We’ve only got to look at our current supermarket receipts to see how they are rising..
Not just here ..Rising food,fuel ,electric costs are global ..unfortunately

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Its my recent experience that cafes/restaurants run by Pakistanis have increased their prices far less than anyone.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

We went to our local Turkish restaurant in UK on 31st October. Mixed kebap to start followed by full kebap for 2, 2 Efes a Raki & a brandy was £100-70p for two. Really miss TRNC prices!

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Mon 14 Nov 2022 8:32 am
Its my recent experience that cafes/restaurants run by Pakistanis have increased their prices far less than anyone.
Total agree same goes for builders they do the same job for a quarter of the price and a much cleaner job :+1:)
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Look i have found that prices up amount of food decreased but then what do you expect. How can they produce the same meal for the same money when all prices gone up

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Becker wrote:
Tue 15 Nov 2022 3:28 pm
We went to our local Turkish restaurant in UK on 31st October. Mixed kebap to start followed by full kebap for 2, 2 Efes a Raki & a brandy was £100-70p for two. Really miss TRNC prices!
North London went for a curry, 2 starters 2 main course, rice, bread and 3 beers £75! Lovely Chinese in ChinaTown same price did get spring rolls, duck, 3 main dishes and rice, 2 beers, 2 soda waters

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

There is no point in comparing UK prices with prices in TRNC. Its like comparing apples with bananas.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Of course not I was just shocked at how expensive everything was!

stereotomy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Post by stereotomy »

I highly recommend Chill in Lapta. Reasonable prices, great service, great food.

Make sure you try their pides & pizzas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE6Fz01Q2WI

Leither
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Leither »

Ref Chill,you gotta be joking.

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

Leither wrote:
Thu 17 Nov 2022 10:19 am
Ref Chill,you gotta be joking.
:+1:) Or maybe they have lowered their prices sack the staff and changed the chef (:Z)
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

The place to be at the moment on Lapta strip is Ezic look at the car park always packed

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

We’re finding that more and more restaurants are leaving out traditional meze even leaving out bread.
Example..
Arrived at local restaurant that predominantly serves local Turkish people..
Served 3 small pieces of chicken..Cyprus chips..one small dish of not so fresh salad..( which I had to ask for..
Small portions to say the least..

Gone are the days when you first sat down in a restaurant to be greeted with fresh bread …selection of local traditional tasters..not sat down to this welcome in ages..

I would look forward any recommendations that serve….dare I say it the old traditional welcome restaurant…?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

The Bella Moon in Bellapais is a lovely family run business.
I am a member of a luncheon club, we meet there once a month, I went last week there were 15 of us, we couldn't finish the meze there was that much food, they even asked did we want more!
The main meals are all delicious and reasonably priced. I had something out of the ordinary, a curry which was as good as any Indian restaurant. In total I paid 200 TL with the meze.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

TAC wrote:
Thu 17 Nov 2022 12:08 pm
The place to be at the moment on Lapta strip is Ezic look at the car park always packed
as long as you are prepared to sit next to a table full of smokers while you eat!!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

13roman58 wrote:
Fri 18 Nov 2022 1:17 pm
TAC wrote:
as long as you are prepared to sit next to a table full of smokers while you eat!!!

They wouldn't actually BE smoking though, would they?

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Keithcaley wrote:
Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:46 pm
13roman58 wrote:
Fri 18 Nov 2022 1:17 pm
TAC wrote:

They wouldn't actually BE smoking though, would they?
Sorry to say but they allow smoking inside the restaurant, at the table!
I questioned this with a waiter and then the manager and was told that it is OK as they have electric windows that go up and down?🤧

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

they have electric windows that go up and down

That may be acceptable during the Summer - I'm not saying that it IS, just that it MAY be, but during the Winter when the windows are closed it most certainly is not!

I look forward to my first visit to this new establishment...

Return to “FOOD & DRINK - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”