Wheelchair access Uncle Sams

Disability and mobility issues within the TRNC. Help and information from members regarding problems faced with access issues within the TRNC as well as other information required concerning disability matters.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

mickhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Wheelchair access Uncle Sams

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by mickhm »

Went there yesterday and they have done away with the ramp at the front. The only way in is up two deep steps Shame
As I got older I congratulated myself on my tolerance..... Now I realise I just don't give a "ooops"

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Wheelchair access Uncle Sams

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

mickhm wrote:Went there yesterday and they have done away with the ramp at the front. The only way in is up two deep steps Shame
Aren't they required to have some sort of provision for disabled access?

Does anyone know?

If so, report 'em to the Belediye (and the Press!).

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Best thing is to go elsewhere, if they lose enough business they will rethink

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:Best thing is to go elsewhere, if they lose enough business they will rethink
Easy for you to say, but the disabled may have no choice but to go elsewhere - through not actually being able to gain access... I'm afraid that your comment does nothing at all to help them, and as this Forum is read by a predominantly British Ex-Pat demographic (who constitute a tiny minority of the TRNC population), it would quite possibly not affect their business sufficiently to make them take notice if we ALL stayed away!

...and even if it did, would they know WHY?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Would it be a good Idea to ask the owners?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Yes,please.. Go elsewhere but tell the owners why
. We are a small proportion of the total population but probably a significant one as far as eating and drinking out is concerned. Only by making it known that we do care, and are prepared to back up our principles will things improve for the disabled in our own community. This particularly applies to charities and organisations that block book,

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Keithcaley wrote:
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:Best thing is to go elsewhere, if they lose enough business they will rethink
Easy for you to say, but the disabled may have no choice but to go elsewhere - through not actually being able to gain access... I'm afraid that your comment does nothing at all to help them, and as this Forum is read by a predominantly British Ex-Pat demographic (who constitute a tiny minority of the TRNC population), it would quite possibly not affect their business sufficiently to make them take notice if we ALL stayed away!

...and even if it did, would they know WHY?
I'm wasn't being flippant but it is as helpful suggestion as fuming privately on a forum they probably don't read.

We might form a minority of the population but I'm sure we are an important demographic for restaurants.
There is an over supply of restaurants and the profit margins are tight so I doubt any would happily write off the expat business knowingly.
If the owner refused to change the access and the expats boycotted the restaurant I guarantee it would affect their business.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Ragged Robin wrote:

Yes,please.. Go elsewhere but tell the owners why
. We are a small proportion of the total population but probably a significant one as far as eating and drinking out is concerned. Only by making it known that we do care, and are prepared to back up our principles will things improve for the disabled in our own community. This particularly applies to charities and organisations that block book,
100%, there is a shortage of a lot of things on the Island but not of restaurants that are barely surviving.
Pick out a restaurant ask him to change his menu to duplicate Uncle Sams and the expats will frequent it and he'll put in a ramp/lifts whatever.
Got to make that grey pound count.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Uncle Sam (or rather the designer of the slope) made a real pigs ear of it, They constructed a sharp angle which would have been so acute that a chair would never have managed it. As previously stated they now have two steps which are dreadfully deep. However, they are altering the inside of the place and appear to be making another entrance at the back with a larger car park. Hopefully they might construct a slope when it is all finished. Will be on the case.

Return to “DISABILITY MATTERS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”