Supermarkets

Disability and mobility issues within the TRNC. Help and information from members regarding problems faced with access issues within the TRNC as well as other information required concerning disability matters.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Supermarkets

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Olly wrote:
Sah. Perfect for the disabled shopper. Car parking, entrance, restaurant. The best rest room facilities I have used in TRNC, and of course the willingness of the staff to help. Than you Sah.

Plus there are several disabled spaces all next to the entrance, the new trolleys actually go where you want them to, and the staff are friendly and helpful. My only quibble is that apart from one disabled toilet all the toilets are some steep stairs, which means those who dont need disabled toilets but are unable to climb steep stairs have to get the key from the checkout to use the disabled ones

I am copying this post to the Disability Matters section..

Olly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Supermarkets

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Olly »

It would be a lovely idea if we could get together a list of disabled friendly, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, shops etc. to post in the Disability Matters section. Always have to plan my outings in advance, no steps, restroom facilities etc.
Although there is a lack of disabled facilities, I have found a genuine willingness of people to help.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Yes Olly such a list was exactly my intention when I asked for a section for the disabled and other disadvantaged people.

Advance information is so important for people who are not fully able bodied to retain independence.

Unfortunately it has not received the support I had hoped for, Some people appear not to like discussing the subject and others hostile (I have even had one very offensive and hurtful pm) and I have to admit I was stupidly put off posting for quite while. Also it tends to be tucked away and I wonder if the people who really need it and/or could contribute know of the subjects' existence on Kibcom!

However I shall continue to add to it if and when I come across anything that may help others and I am sure you will do the same. Please do not hesitate to make further suggestions and/or send me a pm if you prefer.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

The Disabilty Matters section was set up a little while ago following a suggestion put forward by Ragged Robin.

If members have any helpful advice or suggestions which may help others with a disability whether visible or not then they can post the advice in this section. If they happen to post advice on the main forum then the usual practice of the moderators is to leave the post in place for a few days before then moving it to the correct section.

The forum is divided into different sections to help members go direct to a particular subject which may be of interest or perphaps contain the advice or help they may be looking for, rather than trawling thro hundreds of different posts on a myriad of subjects. Hence a for sale area, tradesmen area, computers and internet, disability matters etc etc.

Hopefully in time more will contribute in the disability matters section of the forum.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Olly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Olly »

Do I put the post straight on Mobility Matters. If it goes on main section first, it may encourage others to be sympathetic to our postings.
Lords Palace - accessible, Ramps, disabled toilets.
Peanuts - accessible, Ramps, disabled toilets.
Crispy Squid - Ramp entrance.
Colony Hotel - easy access, disabled toilet. Cannot get into Roof Terrace as steps.
Taro Brassiere (Esentepe) - Ramp entrance
Korineum Golf Club - Ramps, disabled toilet.
Korineum Golf Beach Club - All on flat.
Karpaz Marina and Beach Club - All on flat, disabled toilet at rear of building.(Have to ask for directions).
I am sure there are many other venues, I haven’t tried, but would love to know of them.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Olly Sorry for the delay - I was waiting for the moderator's reply to your question! As he did not , I think it is better that you post matters concerning mobility etc direct into the Disability Matters section: as PiD said it will then automatically also appear in "View active topics" which I think most people read. Posting on the main forum depends on a moderator noticing and transferring it.

A problem arises when a matter concerning mobility appears in a thread on another subject - as it did in this case which started about the closure of a Supermarket! Strictly speaking, it was off topic, but imho strict adherence to the ot rule is unnatural and often leads to the loss of posts of interest. This means someone has to notice and transfer the item to Disability Matters and the only way I know for an ordinary poster is to copy and post which may not be very easily for some disabilities.. I do it when I notice but as 90 % of this forum is no longer of much interest to me, I only skip thorugh the headings and could easily miss something.

Very many thanks for your interest

hilaryhst
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by hilaryhst »

Metropol supermarket has lovely disabled toilets and nice wide aisles for wheelchairs

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

hilaryhst wrote:Metropol supermarket has lovely disabled toilets and nice wide aisles for wheelchairs
Where is Metropol , please, and can you confirm it has disabled parking.

Return to “DISABILITY MATTERS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”