PM Confidence Vote

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: PoshinDevon, Soner, Dragon

Post Reply
User avatar
PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed 04 Apr 2012 6:32 pm

PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 1 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Enough letters (48) have now been received and a confidence vote in the Prime Minister will take place today between 6-8pm U.K. time.

She will win it IMO.

There will not be over 158 conservatives giving her a no confidence vote. However; if there is anything between 80-100 no confidence votes she will be severely damaged and whether she could realistically carry on is open to debate. Still don’t think she will walk tho, she is nothing if not a tough, stubborn old bird.

PM making a statement live in the next 30mins and likely to say that a leadership challenge/election is not needed at this time and will cause further chaos in the Conservative party and realistically any change in leader will not make any difference to the Brexit negotiations, nor will it give a potential new leader time to bring both the conservatives and MPs from all parties together to drive thro a Brexit deal.

Love politics.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 1380
Joined: Tue 03 Apr 2012 7:49 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 2 of 36 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Using a football swap deal instead Dianne Abbot to the conservatives May to Labour

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 3 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Think she won the leadership because she was very nondescript and average so couldn't upset any wing of the party. Problem is you vote in average and nondescript and that is what you get. I think anyone would have a difficult job uniting the tories but May was over promoted as Home Secretary and was poor there so I don't know what people expected from her as PM.

She has done us no favours during the Brexit negotiations. If you vote in a weak functionary who doesn't seem to have any firm principles then you shouldn't be surprised if they are taken advantage of because they are viewed as weak.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012 10:44 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 4 of 36 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

Classic case of the "Peter Principle"

Having said that I do think there is enough support for her to win..... Sadly.

User avatar
waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012 7:21 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 5 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:Think she won the leadership because she was very nondescript and average so couldn't upset any wing of the party. Problem is you vote in average and nondescript and that is what you get. I think anyone would have a difficult job uniting the tories but May was over promoted as Home Secretary and was poor there so I don't know what people expected from her as PM.

She has done us no favours during the Brexit negotiations. If you vote in a weak functionary who doesn't seem to have any firm principles then you shouldn't be surprised if they are taken advantage of because they are viewed as weak.

I think it fair to say that they expected her to fail and then fall on her sword! As for the second paragraph - I welcome a suggestion as to who should have been PM and of course to whom will replace this "weak functionary"?

When you take on a task that has no backing from your own people and then are expected to win the hearts and minds of everybody concerned, including the leaders of another 27 nations, by pleasing everyone and making sure that you come away with a total win that turns back the clock for the whole country - just who out of all of parliament - do you think could have done any better?
Make happy those who are near and those who are far will come!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 6 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote: I welcome a suggestion as to who should have been PM and of course to whom will replace this "weak functionary"?

just who out of all of parliament - do you think could have done any better?
Gove should be involved in our Brexit negotiations, at least he had a plan on how to move forward which included a root and branch review of the civil service.

User avatar
waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012 7:21 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 7 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

So, as normal, no definitive answer to the question apart from saying Gove should be involved in Brexit? He is just one of many who have a plan, none of them willing to take control or responsibility! The "People" deserve what they voted for - leave the EU - and that is what they will get. Leave for sure, no deal quite possibly, start again and try to make up for a Government that still gets pad for laughing, joking, making stupid comments and arguing amongst themselves, my only question is why do they keep taking public money and doing nothing for the public?

In my view Mrs May is the only one of them willing to take a stand and that is why they don't want her there anymore, what they all thought was going to be the soft touch has turned out to be the only one of them willing and able to follow a plan which was made plain right at the start. People may not like the plan but then they should have thought more about the outcome of what they voted for in the first place and not listened to the lies and false promises. Instead of asking for information they just put on the blindfold and jumped with the rest of the lemmings.

I despair for the UK (what will probably be left of it once Scotland/Wales & Ireland leave to stay in the EU) but at least London will still be in charge of England - wonderful!
Make happy those who are near and those who are far will come!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 8 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:So, as normal, no definitive answer to the question apart from saying Gove should be involved in Brexit? He is just one of many who have a plan, none of them willing to take control or responsibility! The "People" deserve what they voted for - leave the EU - and that is what they will get. Leave for sure, no deal quite possibly, start again and try to make up for a Government that still gets pad for laughing, joking, making stupid comments and arguing amongst themselves, my only question is why do they keep taking public money and doing nothing for the public?

In my view Mrs May is the only one of them willing to take a stand and that is why they don't want her there anymore, what they all thought was going to be the soft touch has turned out to be the only one of them willing and able to follow a plan which was made plain right at the start. People may not like the plan but then they should have thought more about the outcome of what they voted for in the first place and not listened to the lies and false promises. Instead of asking for information they just put on the blindfold and jumped with the rest of the lemmings.

I despair for the UK (what will probably be left of it once Scotland/Wales & Ireland leave to stay in the EU) but at least London will still be in charge of England - wonderful!
Gove is unelectable as PM or the leader of the Conservative party so pointless being too definitive. Unfortunately the electorate tend to favour leaders with good hair rather than any particular skill set.

So is it the UK you despise, just England or London in particular?
If Wales etc want to leave the UK and throw their lot in with the EU I wish both sides all the best.

If you think May is taking a stand then I can see how the EU bs has passed you by.

User avatar
waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012 7:21 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 9 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Once again - no reply to the first question, wonderful the way that people can always ask a question in place of giving an answer. Whose words were these - "So is it the UK you despise, just England or London in particular?" - try I as I might I can find no place where I stated that I despise either England or London, it is however nice to see you care not about the United Kingdom and will happily get rid of Scotland, Ireland and Wales - guess your only cause it see England prosper then?

"If you think May is taking a stand then I can see how the EU bs has passed you by"

May made a statement that she would take the UK out of EU because that was what the people had voted for - she is the only person who has taken a stand and if you missed that then you have swallowed all the BS that politicians have fed to the rest of the world.

For myself, I hope that whichever way it goes and whatever outcome the UK gets stuffed with that it works out well in the end for everyone, no matter how many years it takes to recover from the present situation. I admit that I have enjoyed being a European and shall miss the freedom but that is life.
Make happy those who are near and those who are far will come!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 10 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:Once again - no reply to the first question, wonderful the way that people can always ask a question in place of giving an answer. Whose words were these - "So is it the UK you despise, just England or London in particular?" - try I as I might I can find no place where I stated that I despise either England or London, it is however nice to see you care not about the United Kingdom and will happily get rid of Scotland, Ireland and Wales - guess your only cause it see England prosper then?

"If you think May is taking a stand then I can see how the EU bs has passed you by"

May made a statement that she would take the UK out of EU because that was what the people had voted for - she is the only person who has taken a stand and if you missed that then you have swallowed all the BS that politicians have fed to the rest of the world.

For myself, I hope that whichever way it goes and whatever outcome the UK gets stuffed with that it works out well in the end for everyone, no matter how many years it takes to recover from the present situation. I admit that I have enjoyed being a European and shall miss the freedom but that is life.
I would have been happy with the Johnson Gove ticket but it wasn't to be. As for May I think I would throw a stick into the conservative benches and vote for whoever it hit as long as it wasn't her.
I can see why you support her, if I didn't want something to happen I would always put her in charge of it.

As far as I can see it May's deal gets us out of the EU coffee club and the book club, everything else we are still firmly in.
We have to pay an enormous divorce settlement but aren't free to marry anyone else and if we buy a new house after giving our ex the old home, she can move into that too.
Sorry I read the following;
waddo wrote: I despair for the UK (what will probably be left of it once Scotland/Wales & Ireland leave to stay in the EU) but at least London will still be in charge of England - wonderful!
As not exactly wishing the UK all the best and you’ll have to explain what you meant by the London quote then.
I wouldn’t happily get rid of Wales, Scotland or Ireland but if they want to leave then good luck to them. Freedom of movement I thought was enshrined in the EU ethos or is that only as long as people move where they are told?


What particular freedoms will you miss not being in the EU?
You know you could visit Spain before we joined don't you? You know they will let us in after we leave?

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 11 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

The political turmoil is clear and with no plan "B" as yet who knows.
It is clear that parliament is generally against acceptance of the MAY deal.
I very much doubt there is any more to be gained in going back to the table (whilst we can)

The Union certainly does not want the UK to crash out as they too have identified to catastrophic loss to both sides.
The remainder of the trading world are poised to capitalize on the NEW European (including the UK) weakness.
Mrs May remains as leader of the government as common sense has prevailed. A general election now would simply confuse matters even more.

Will a 11th hour deal come forth? Will a peoples vote come forth? Will the UK remain in the EU?

Clear choices are now on the table. Parliament cannot agree. The PEOPLE must decide!!

DEAL, CRASH OUT, REMAIN

User avatar
PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed 04 Apr 2012 6:32 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 12 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

The people have decided......they voted leave.

Amazing that more than two years on this still hasn’t registered with some.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 13 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:The people have decided......they voted leave.

Amazing that more than two years on this still hasn’t registered with some.
Its like trying to leave a mobile phone contract!

Think we might have blown our chance there of getting a referendum on the death penalty.
Not that we'd get one as the powers that be know how that would go down. There won't be any 3 or 4% majority there.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012 10:44 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 14 of 36 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

waz-24-7 wrote:The Union certainly does not want the UK to crash out as they too have identified to catastrophic loss to both sides.
Then surely they should have sought a decent negotiated deal suitable to both parties instead of playing hard ball and being totally bloody-minded.

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 15 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:The people have decided......they voted leave.

Amazing that more than two years on this still hasn’t registered with some.

That is accepted but only so far as 2 years ago the facts, risks and outcome was very badly presented and many were hoodwinked into thinking everything would be rosy. Personally I saw this type of mess developing as the BREXTEERS departed the limelight, failed to lead and left Mrs May to try and secure a deal.
The question has to be asked. Why is the UK parliament ( democratically elected) so unilaterally against the BREXIT deal that our PM puts forward.

It is very clear that a peoples vote is firmly on the agendas.
I can see very little response to my question.

DEAL or NO DEAL or PEOPLES VOTE. And why?

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 16 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

turtle wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:The Union certainly does not want the UK to crash out as they too have identified to catastrophic loss to both sides.
Then surely they should have sought a decent negotiated deal suitable to both parties instead of playing hard ball and being totally bloody-minded.
I'm afraid the deal is no more than I expected.
Remain in the customs union and retain freedom of movement is the Union take and its fair.
The deal negotiated is accepted by Mrs. May and a few of her government. I firmly believe that many BREXIT voters failed to register the difficulties and negotiations needed to depart.
Most really believed it would be walk away and the future would be rosy and sweet with masses of new money for the NHS. A stable and prosperous UK economy and the World would be queuing up to buy from and invest in the NEW UK.
Cloud cuckoo land indeed!!

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 17 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

waz-24-7 wrote:
turtle wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:The Union certainly does not want the UK to crash out as they too have identified to catastrophic loss to both sides.
Then surely they should have sought a decent negotiated deal suitable to both parties instead of playing hard ball and being totally bloody-minded.
I'm afraid the deal is no more than I expected.
Remain in the customs union and retain freedom of movement is the Union take and its fair.
The deal negotiated is accepted by Mrs. May and a few of her government. I firmly believe that many BREXIT voters failed to register the difficulties and negotiations needed to depart.
Most really believed it would be walk away and the future would be rosy and sweet with masses of new money for the NHS. A stable and prosperous UK economy and the World would be queuing up to buy from and invest in the NEW UK. Cloud cuckoo land indeed!![/
Instead.. Financial services are departing to the EU in thousands. Economic forecasts are subdued at best and manufacturing investment has slowed to a trickle. Soon the outcomes will hit with loss of employment and possible recession.
quote]

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 18 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:The people have decided......they voted leave.

Amazing that more than two years on this still hasn’t registered with some.

That is accepted but only so far as 2 years ago the facts, risks and outcome was very badly presented and many were hoodwinked into thinking everything would be rosy. Personally I saw this type of mess developing as the BREXTEERS departed the limelight, failed to lead and left Mrs May to try and secure a deal.
The question has to be asked. Why is the UK parliament ( democratically elected) so unilaterally against the BREXIT deal that our PM puts forward.

It is very clear that a peoples vote is firmly on the agendas.
I can see very little response to my question.

DEAL or NO DEAL or PEOPLES VOTE. And why?
No deal. I would elaborate but you wont read or understand it anyway.

Let me say this slowly. WE HAD A PEOPLES VOTE.

No the remain side presented all the pitfalls of leaving and made a few up just to be sure and people still voted to leave.

The brexiteers didn't depart the limelight. It was going to be a Gove-Johnson ticket and they managed to do each others legs and let May in who has made a career out of being a very untalented fence sitter.

The UK Parliament is against the deal put forward for a few reasons;
Some see it as all but remaining in the EU
Some see it as leaving but getting a pretty dreadful deal.
Some don't want us to leave and will vote down any deal.
Some actually want us to leave but see an opportunity of overthrowing the government if the completely swallow any integrity they have. eg Corbyn etc.
Some don't really care but see if May gets dropped they might move up a peg or two in the government.

But it's very complicated and you wont understand it. Also a word like unilaterally only adds gravitas when used correctly.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012 10:44 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 19 of 36 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:The people have decided......they voted leave.

Amazing that more than two years on this still hasn’t registered with some.

That is accepted but only so far as 2 years ago the facts, risks and outcome was very badly presented and many were hoodwinked into thinking everything would be rosy. Personally I saw this type of mess developing as the BREXTEERS departed the limelight, failed to lead and left Mrs May to try and secure a deal.
The question has to be asked. Why is the UK parliament ( democratically elected) so unilaterally against the BREXIT deal that our PM puts forward.

It is very clear that a peoples vote is firmly on the agendas.
I can see very little response to my question.

DEAL or NO DEAL or PEOPLES VOTE. And why?
OK Waz....NO DEAL....that clear enough for you.
I debated the running away of Brexiteers with you after the vote and you wouldn't listen so I will say it again...Mrs May didn't include the likes of Farage did she...what is he supposed to do march into number 10 and demand inclusion . She lost the heavyweight brexiteers in the cabinet by her Chequers deal then lost another Brexit secretary in Rabb by not including him so what are they supposed to do....tie her to a chair and gag her?

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 20 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Turtle.
Mrs May is in between a rock and a hard place so to speak. Parliament generally are absolutely against her plan as seen in the vote last week.
Her Plan "B" is announced tomorrow and I think it too will be rejected by all parties bar a few supporters.

Thank you for your "NO Deal" exit support. What would you sat to the people of Ireland on a hard border.
What will you say to all the UK businesses and employees that will tear up trade agreements in just 70 odd days.

Can you guide me on what will happen at UK ports and customs posts immediately after 29th March.

If we ask nicely perhaps the rest of the world will put their economies on hold whilst the UK gets its house in order.
No they will actively seek investment, sales and offer services to replace those vacated or messed up by the idiots in the UK who thought it would all turn out fine.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012 10:44 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 21 of 36 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

Give your head a wobble lad...you are getting hysterical again.
So lets start debating all this what's going to happen on the 30th May shall we....you mentioned the ports what will actually happen at Dover please tell us...I suppose we will just turn thes lorries around shall we and send them back. do you honestly we at this end are going to make it difficult for ourselves and hold all this up.

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 22 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

turtle wrote:Give your head a wobble lad...you are getting hysterical again.
So lets start debating all this what's going to happen on the 30th May shall we....you mentioned the ports what will actually happen at Dover please tell us...I suppose we will just turn thes lorries around shall we and send them back. do you honestly we at this end are going to make it difficult for ourselves and hold all this up.
Yes I do and that is the start.
I work in the automotive industry that is the most efficient and "just in time" production system on the planet.
Currently I can tell you 30 minutes either way when a truck will arrive in Craiova in Romania from Birmingham UK. AS of 29th March . I don't know. I am unable to tell my customer. Result...uncertainty and concern and line stop. Solution...… Buy the same product in Germany that can promise and forecast delivery without hindrance or issue.

Now take that same scenario to medical supplies, indeed anything that capitalizes on good prompt deliveries ( just about every business on the planet!!

Please wobble your head HARD and give me solutions. The issues are clear and well documented and discussed.
Even once we get going the documentation at cross borders will remove a competitive edge and open the door to competition from the EU.

The UK has very little irreplaceable markets. The European and the World economies will swallow UK business and customers in a blink. Now they have a golden opportunity looming!!

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012 10:44 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 23 of 36 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

But that is exactly my point Waz....you don't know what will happen.....do you really.
Scaremongering and negativity that's all we hear...no proof no facts just words and panic
There will be no hold ups at our end as you have already been told if the EU want to frustrate things (they are good at that) then there is nothing you can do about it .

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 24 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Turtle
Please do tell me how it will be then.
Business as usual ?

BREXIT never happened perhaps.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon 05 Oct 2015 6:38 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 25 of 36 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

https://fullfact.org/europe/irish-border-trade-checks/

At the moment only a small number of non-EU goods entering the UK or Ireland are subject to physical customs checks. In the case of the UK, all non-EU goods have to be declared, this is usually done electronically and happens in a matter of seconds

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) told a committee of MPs in 2017 that around 4% of declared goods are subject to further checks, most of which are documentary. Irish tax authorities told a committee of Irish parliamentarians that in 2016 “6% of import declarations were checked and less than 2% were physically checked”.

The Chair of Irish Revenue told the Irish parliament in 2017 that it’s “very unlikely” that anything like 2% of goods crossing the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic will be physically checked, due to the types of goods being traded.

The Republic of Ireland sent just over 1% of its exports in goods to Northern Ireland in 2016. Another 11% of its exports in goods went to Britain (the UK excluding Northern Ireland).

NI sales and exports total 2016 -
EU including RoI --- 7 Billion
GB and rest of the world ---70Billion

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon 05 Oct 2015 6:38 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 26 of 36 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ef-insists

MPs have welcomed assurances from the French port of Calais that there will be no extra checks on lorries if Britain leaves the EU without a deal in March.

Port boss Jean-Marc Puissesseau said that Calais had been preparing for Brexit for a year and would be ready to cope when the UK leaves the EU on March 29, whether there is a deal or not.

https://www.scmr.com/article/is_your_su ... for_brexit

On the other hand, net exporters in industries with low WTO tariffs, such as aerospace, or industries characterized by zero tariffs and a global production footprint and sales mix, such as pharma, could potentially benefit from a hard Brexit due to pound depreciation and lower UK tax rates. In this scenario, aerospace companies may see profits increase by 4% to 8%, and pharma, by 2% to 3%. Indeed, large industrial and pharma companies, including Rolls-Royce, Boeing, GSK and AstraZeneca, have confirmed their commitment to continue investing in the UK.

Importantly, Brexit’s impact may vary even within a given industry, because each company’s supply chain is different. Associated British Foods, which produces more than two million tonnes of sugar annually from sugar beet factories in the UK and Spain, could be hit hard if Brexit triggers a shift to WTO customs duties on sugar beet. By contrast, Tate & Lyle Sugars, one of Europe’s largest sugar manufacturers, currently pays high EU tariffs on sugar cane imports from Brazil. If the UK agrees after Brexit to the more favorable WTO tariff structure on non-EU sugar cane imports, Tate & Lyle Sugars could import and produce at lower cost.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 27 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kerry 6138 wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ef-insists

MPs have welcomed assurances from the French port of Calais that there will be no extra checks on lorries if Britain leaves the EU without a deal in March.

Port boss Jean-Marc Puissesseau said that Calais had been preparing for Brexit for a year and would be ready to cope when the UK leaves the EU on March 29, whether there is a deal or not.

https://www.scmr.com/article/is_your_su ... for_brexit

On the other hand, net exporters in industries with low WTO tariffs, such as aerospace, or industries characterized by zero tariffs and a global production footprint and sales mix, such as pharma, could potentially benefit from a hard Brexit due to pound depreciation and lower UK tax rates. In this scenario, aerospace companies may see profits increase by 4% to 8%, and pharma, by 2% to 3%. Indeed, large industrial and pharma companies, including Rolls-Royce, Boeing, GSK and AstraZeneca, have confirmed their commitment to continue investing in the UK.

Importantly, Brexit’s impact may vary even within a given industry, because each company’s supply chain is different. Associated British Foods, which produces more than two million tonnes of sugar annually from sugar beet factories in the UK and Spain, could be hit hard if Brexit triggers a shift to WTO customs duties on sugar beet. By contrast, Tate & Lyle Sugars, one of Europe’s largest sugar manufacturers, currently pays high EU tariffs on sugar cane imports from Brazil. If the UK agrees after Brexit to the more favorable WTO tariff structure on non-EU sugar cane imports, Tate & Lyle Sugars could import and produce at lower cost.
What we might be paying lower prices for our imports?
God does the nightmare never end!

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 28 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

The Boss of Calais Port has a business to run. Trade with the UK pays his wages and those of his employees.
It is good news that this French business wishes to trade with the UK. Businesses over the whole of Europe including the UK wish to continue to trade.
They would be silly not to.

Some of the UK population, (which ever way you look at it) are content to offer obstacles and hindrance to this trade.


Upon those people who take the NO DEAL line.
In 2016 many voted to Leave. ( democratically)Following that they voted in Mrs May as our Governments leader.(democratically)
This all accepted then these same people should support the policy of the countries leader and vote DEAL.
I think that the democratic ticket has been dealt and the outcome is so mixed that the people should again decide.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 29 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:The Boss of Calais Port has a business to run. Trade with the UK pays his wages and those of his employees.
It is good news that this French business wishes to trade with the UK. Businesses over the whole of Europe including the UK wish to continue to trade.
They would be silly not to.

Some of the UK population, (which ever way you look at it) are content to offer obstacles and hindrance to this trade.


Upon those people who take the NO DEAL line.
In 2016 many voted to Leave. ( democratically)Following that they voted in Mrs May as our Governments leader.(democratically)
This all accepted then these same people should support the policy of the countries leader and vote DEAL.
I think that the democratic ticket has been dealt and the outcome is so mixed that the people should again decide.
The Boss of Calais Port is another shyster like the boss of the WTO right?

I know you seem to live in a box but do you remember the circumstances of Cameron's quote that the referendum was a one off vote?
It was a response to the leave sides suggestion that after negotiating a deal it might be a good idea to put it back in front of the people,
Obviously when the remain side were confident they were going to win they could bully and run rough shod over any suggestions about leave.

Shame eh

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... no-says-pm

BTW leave aren't looking to put any obstacles in place, there is enough synergy between the UK and the EU for a trade deal to be sorted out in no time. Or we go for a WTO deal.

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 30 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

BTW leave aren't looking to put any obstacles in place, there is enough synergy between the UK and the EU for a trade deal to be sorted out in no time. Or we go for a WTO deal.


Hope no time comes within the next 67 days because businesses are making plans to leave.....leave the UK
WTO... wow everything will be just fine come April 1st on that promise. Get real. Business does not work like that.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012 10:44 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 31 of 36 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

Hudreds of thousands of small to medium businesses are not planning to leave the UK so stop scaremongering again.
You really do need to stop this verbal crap you are spouting Waz its not helping your argument at all.

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 32 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

turtle wrote:Hudreds of thousands of small to medium businesses are not planning to leave the UK so stop scaremongering again.
You really do need to stop this verbal crap you are spouting Waz its not helping your argument at all.
Of course there many businesses that are not planning to leave. I agree with that, These businesses are most likely to be traders within the UK economy relying on UK internally based prosperity. If the UK economy declines then these businesses will suffer as demand and ability to purchase falls away.

However,
Many large corporations have moved jobs and resources into the EU as they see a hindrance to trade and supply of services from UK operations that will be outside the customs union. In particular financial services, insurance and money trading. A no deal situation will only accelerate the movement and departure from the UK.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 33 of 36 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Many large corporations have moved jobs and resources into the EU
As there are many you'll have no problem naming say a dozen of these large corporations.
A press release or note to their shareholders that they have relocated. Not a vague feasibility study, a scaremongering threat or rumour reported in the press. Actual proof that this has happened.
After all they have moved these jobs and resources already so easily proved.

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 34 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:
Many large corporations have moved jobs and resources into the EU
As there are many you'll have no problem naming say a dozen of these large corporations.
A press release or note to their shareholders that they have relocated. Not a vague feasibility study, a scaremongering threat or rumour reported in the press. Actual proof that this has happened.
After all they have moved these jobs and resources already so easily proved.

Suggest you google
"BREXIT exodus from London" take your choice.

Bloomberg report,
Guardian report
etc etc.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012 10:44 am

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 35 of 36 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

waz-24-7 wrote:
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:
Many large corporations have moved jobs and resources into the EU
As there are many you'll have no problem naming say a dozen of these large corporations.
A press release or note to their shareholders that they have relocated. Not a vague feasibility study, a scaremongering threat or rumour reported in the press. Actual proof that this has happened.
After all they have moved these jobs and resources already so easily proved.

Suggest you google
"BREXIT exodus from London" take your choice.

Bloomberg report,
Guardian report
etc etc.
From what i can see the only exodus is from people who can no longer afford the rent or property prices ?

User avatar
waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Re: PM Confidence Vote

  • Quote
  •   Message 36 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »


Post Reply

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”