Our UK fishing waters

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Our UK fishing waters

•   Message 151 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 11:22 am
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 9:30 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Thu 17 Dec 2020 9:19 pm

Hardly. I travelled 55,000 miles in 2019. Around the globe in 50 days. through each and every Time zone. from Europe to middle and far east. Mongolia, Azerbaijan, China Russia and yes the USA and Canada. I've seen the many visa systems first hand and I've experienced the privileges that my EU passport have provided and also the difficulties of border crossings and visa difficulties.
Losing those privileges is a big negative so please don't try and paste it any other way.

With Cyprus in mind. The same loss is very very poignant given the cross green line animosity. Access to the TRNC has become more difficult and more expensive. This is why I have found it so surprising that many TRNC based ex pats failed to see the direct consequences of voting leave.
Wax what advantages would an EU passport give you in Mongolia, Azerbaijan, China Russia and the USA that a U.K. one won’t?

When I voted to leave I did it knowing that it would probably cause me problems personally. I voted to leave because I believe medium to long term it will be best for a Britain that includes my children and grandchildren. Ironically despite that I have constantly be accused of wanting to sabotage Britain by people who seem to despise Britain and will take up any country’s side against us.
You wanted to remain because it will save you paperwork.

Round and round we go. Same arguments rehashed. We are leaving, it’s done. Suck it up.
:+1:)

I was also somewhat baffled with the comments about passports, Mongolia and Azerbaijan. I am also pretty confident that when I travel whilst I may have to join a different queue on arrival and it may take a little longer but no big deal. We will still travel.

Of course if it’s not the EU passport, then immigration will be thrown into the argument with a suggestion that those who voted leave are anti “foreigners” coming to the U.K. or even worse closet rascists. Again wrong. I happen to believe that controlling who can come and stay on our crowded island is a rather sensible thing to do. I have no qualms with people fleeing persecution and rightly looking to settle in the U.K. if this is indeed the case. On the other hand we must look to ensure we only allow in those who will embrace our culture and contribute to the country.

The world is a big place with plenty of trading opportunities. Deal or no deal the U.K. will want to trade with the EU and then with us. So let’s not go round and round arguing about who will be worse off. The U.K. of course will be free to strike trade agreements, deals or relationships with other countries outside of the EU. Yes the EU is an important trading partner but there are many other trading opportunities available. I find it strange that some dismiss this. Who would have thought that India, Brazil and even further back China and Japan would have such an impact on the world economy. How very dare they.

As the days count down to year end, a deal or no deal changes like the wind. I would like a deal and feel there is a deal to be done and maybe it will happen, but you know what after 4 years it’s time to move on.

Not entirely sure of your point.

Fact remains loss of my European passport will make access to Europe more difficult. Your children and grandchildren will presumably never experience those freedoms that you have chosen to take from them.
Visiting Cyprus for example will be more difficult for them and your family. Did you not realise that?
You have chosen to live offshore in an ex UK colony. Have you not considered that your new alien status has weakened your position.
This and effects of same will not be immediately apparent but believe me it will as others capitalise on weakness.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 152 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 9:07 pm
Hedge-fund wrote:
Thu 17 Dec 2020 11:33 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Thu 17 Dec 2020 9:08 pm

That's precisely why an economic union makes sense.
If you want to sell goods to a customer you need to provide what they want including any certification, labelling or other requirements. The EU our largest customer has these requirements very clearly documented. Sellers into the EU must oblige or lose out. If a deal is done, which I think we will, then UK sellers will have to conform to these demands. We already do this of course.

Only major change is that the UK is no longer in the room that makes the rules and regulations. Bad move!!

In addition. The UK must now spend massive amounts of money to set up our own "stand alone rules and regulations" which will be great for the internal market but will need to be sold to all the other potential customers including the EU. This alone is a massive undertaking and as far as I can see. Has hardly even started. I see a general drop in standards, employment rights, and a generally poorly funded EU alternative.
You say:
"Screwed the UK"
. Yes I agree that we're rather screwed and for some time to come. Freedom in 14 days....Hmmm damp squid on that I think.
What are these damp squids you speak of waz?

Are they part of the eu fishing rights negotiations?

I've tried to give you an easier time on the tlr devaluations and the benefits of UK independence.......
...but I must draw the line at squid dampness.

Please explain.
I refer to the freedom ( more like difficulties) that we are supposed to celebrate in a few weeks. I see no reason to celebrate. I will not celebrate a move into a period of yet more uncertainty, difficulty and general loss. I do not know of anyone who can lay before me the benefit that I may secure and or indeed celebrate.
Many will celebrate no issue with that. Of these. Many will not be contributors to the UK economy. Many are fearful of foreigners and what they could bring to global co operation and the UK economy Many have not grasped what precisely BREXIT has been about. Many have simply taken it as a win or lose; them and us scenario. Win at all costs.
Damp squid celebration for me certainly.
Did you mean damp squib by any chance mate?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 153 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Being and ex squid fisherman in Portugal. I 've used Squid as it reminds me of my youth. Squib is just as suitable.
Thanks.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 154 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 9:07 pm
I will not celebrate a move into a period of yet more uncertainty,
Being a member of the EU brings its own uncertainly as in what is coming next in the project. A new army a new currency etc etc. Will our politicians ever consult us or fight for us. Voting to stay in the EU was never voting for a status quo

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 155 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 9:18 pm

Fact remains loss of my European passport will make access to Europe more difficult. Your children and grandchildren will presumably never experience those freedoms that you have chosen to take from them.
Visiting Cyprus for example will be more difficult for them and your family. Did you not realise that?
You have chosen to live offshore in an ex UK colony. Have you not considered that your new alien status has weakened your position.
This and effects of same will not be immediately apparent but believe me it will as others capitalise on weakness.
I’ll bet my children and grandchildren will visit where they want in Europe. I went to Greece and Spain before they were in the EU.

Roger Daltrey slaps this nonsense down very well here;

https://news.sky.com/video/roger-daltre ... n-11666728

Yes it will make life more awkward he in Cyprus but I chose to live here and I can choose to return. Like democracy I like choice. I voted to leave because I believe ultimately it would benefit my children and grandchildren.

As for others capitalising on our weakness at least we will have our eyes open to the possibility it is more difficult when your alleged allies/friends look to take advantage

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 156 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hmm
Yes the English man that is so lucky to be able to reside in a foreign (Cyprus) land without major hindrance or difficulty. Its so too easy for the typical white British ex pat. Perhaps this is the inherent historical memories of British global domination. The Empire, the commonwealth...Rule Britannia.
Cyprus was one ours and we still have our military presence so stand in line.

Now,
However as British world domination has expired and others take the lead. The UK feels it is better we draw ranks. look inward and lock out the very same people that we would have once targeted as commonwealth citizens. How different Brexit would be if we still held the Empire.

Yes the next generations can only read the history of the British Empire. Its demise and loss. The commonwealth too will soon dwindle away.
British influence, in my opinion, continues to decline and with Brexit. The decline process is quickened.
Youngsters within the UK find it very difficult already to work, own a home and secure prosperity. The removal of their right to work and live and or prosper within the EU is a definite negative and represents a significant decline in opportunity.

That is what you voted for i'm afraid.
What is done is done.
Please do take every opportunity to explain this to your grandchildren and I hope you are able to substantiate why they may consider a celebration in a couple of weeks.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 157 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 10:26 pm
Hmm
Yes the English man that is so lucky to be able to reside in a foreign (Cyprus) land without major hindrance or difficulty. Its so too easy for the typical white British ex pat. Perhaps this is the inherent historical memories of British global domination. The Empire, the commonwealth...Rule Britannia.
Cyprus was once ours and we still have our military presence so stand in line you old colonials.

Now,
However as British world domination has expired and others take the lead. The UK feels it is better we draw ranks. look inward and lock out the very same people that we would have once targeted as commonwealth citizens. How different Brexit would look if we still held the Empire. WE probably would be in a union because we would not need it.

Yes the next generations can only read the history of the British Empire. Its demise and loss. The commonwealth too will soon dwindle away.
British influence, in my opinion, continues to decline and with Brexit. The decline process is quickened.
Youngsters within the UK find it very difficult already to work, own a home and secure prosperity. The removal of their right to work and live and or prosper within the EU is a definite negative and represents a significant decline in opportunity.

That is what you voted for i'm afraid.
What is done is done.
Please do take every opportunity to explain this to your grandchildren and I hope you are able to substantiate why they may consider a celebration in a couple of weeks.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 158 of 302 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 9:30 am

Wax what advantages would an EU passport give you in Mongolia, Azerbaijan, China Russia and the USA that a U.K. one won’t?

When I voted to leave I did it knowing that it would probably cause me problems personally. I voted to leave because I believe medium to long term it will be best for a Britain that includes my children and grandchildren. Ironically despite that I have constantly be accused of wanting to sabotage Britain by people who seem to despise Britain and will take up any country’s side against us.
You wanted to remain because it will save you paperwork.

Round and round we go. Same arguments rehashed. We are leaving, it’s done. Suck it up.

I was also somewhat baffled with the comments about passports, Mongolia and Azerbaijan. I am also pretty confident that when I travel whilst I may have to join a different queue on arrival and it may take a little longer but no big deal. We will still travel.

Of course if it’s not the EU passport, then immigration will be thrown into the argument with a suggestion that those who voted leave are anti “foreigners” coming to the U.K. or even worse closet rascists. Again wrong. I happen to believe that controlling who can come and stay on our crowded island is a rather sensible thing to do. I have no qualms with people fleeing persecution and rightly looking to settle in the U.K. if this is indeed the case. On the other hand we must look to ensure we only allow in those who will embrace our culture and contribute to the country.

The world is a big place with plenty of trading opportunities. Deal or no deal the U.K. will want to trade with the EU and then with us. So let’s not go round and round arguing about who will be worse off. The U.K. of course will be free to strike trade agreements, deals or relationships with other countries outside of the EU. Yes the EU is an important trading partner but there are many other trading opportunities available. I find it strange that some dismiss this. Who would have thought that India, Brazil and even further back China and Japan would have such an impact on the world economy. How very dare they.

As the days count down to year end, a deal or no deal changes like the wind. I would like a deal and feel there is a deal to be done and maybe it will happen, but you know what after 4 years it’s time to move on.

I am becoming more completely amazed by each posting you make. Seems to a lot of thrashing and grasping at straws happening. Clearly you are either not reading anything anyone has written or as is normal completely ignoring it.

I think I said that we will still all travel. We did it before joining the Common Market/the EU and will continue afterwards. Europe is very close and I have no doubt at all that access to Europe will be available. Standing in a different queue and possibly it taking a little longer thro passport control is not a problem.

I do not live full time in North Cyprus. Initially we used to travel across and stay 2-3 months at a time a couple of times a year. Then we decided to make it easier for us we would apply for what is known as temporary residency (extended visa). We have done this for a good few years which then allows us to come and go without any problems and providing we continue to comply and respect the rules of the TRNC for entry we can stay for as long as we would wish. It works for us. I think the TRNC has a very sensible policy regarding those entering and wishing to remain in country. As for family etc, well they are very unlikely to stay for much longer than a 2 week holiday so they are fine to travel. In fact I do believe a two week holiday is sort of normal. Of course they could stay for up to a month which is more than adequate for them. Depending on flight times, convenience and price we travel to North Cyprus via Larnaca or Ercan. We accept that it is entirely possible we may have to use Ercan in the future, plus it could be a slightly more expensive option. However that really is not a big issue and certainly not one that had any influence on my reasons for wanting the U.K. to leave the EU.

So how exactly have I weakened my position?
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 159 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

We’re leaving Waz suck it up I hope you won’t be too devastated when Britain doesn’t collapse despite your prayers

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 160 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 11:08 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:

I am becoming more completely amazed by each posting you make. Seems to a lot of thrashing and grasping at straws happening. Clearly you are either not reading anything anyone has written or as is normal completely ignoring it.

I think I said that we will still all travel. We did it before joining the Common Market/the EU and will continue afterwards. Europe is very close and I have no doubt at all that access to Europe will be available. Standing in a different queue and possibly it taking a little longer thro passport control is not a problem.

I do not live full time in North Cyprus. Initially we used to travel across and stay 2-3 months at a time a couple of times a year. Then we decided to make it easier for us we would apply for what is known as temporary residency (extended visa). We have done this for a good few years which then allows us to come and go without any problems and providing we continue to comply and respect the rules of the TRNC for entry we can stay for as long as we would wish. It works for us. I think the TRNC has a very sensible policy regarding those entering and wishing to remain in country. As for family etc, well they are very unlikely to stay for much longer than a 2 week holiday so they are fine to travel. In fact I do believe a two week holiday is sort of normal. Of course they could stay for up to a month which is more than adequate for them. Depending on flight times, convenience and price we travel to North Cyprus via Larnaca or Ercan. We accept that it is entirely possible we may have to use Ercan in the future, plus it could be a slightly more expensive option. However that really is not a big issue and certainly not one that had any influence on my reasons for wanting the U.K. to leave the EU.

So how exactly have I weakened my position?
Hello Posh,
I will not contest at all your own position as you clearly intend to travel and cope admirably with any obstacles presented to a non European.
Your European status has been forfeited. Time will tell how that impacts your travel plans. Your post certainly reflects a level of planning that has been forced upon you and your family. I believe you voted for this.....Why? what counter benefits do you think you personally have secured?

No one can contest the loss of freedoms that have been lost by surrender of European passports. Time will again tell how Europeans deal with UK citizens now that we are deemed aliens.
From a business prospective. The matter is a deal more serious as working in Europe without hindrance is a great loss.
My own business is now forced to open a Spanish subsidiary with all the bureaucracy and red tape in order to support our Spanish customers.
The cost of this is significant and employing Spanish workers as opposed to our pre Brexit British personel is a simple pay back for the divorce we have undertaken. Across Europe we see a divergence of support for UK suppliers. Fear of tariffs, delays in getting product and general loss of confidence is coming home to roost. Even if we get a deal it will not be business as usual. Loss in the EU sector is inevitable.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 161 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 12:26 am
We’re leaving Waz suck it up I hope you won’t be too devastated when Britain doesn’t collapse despite your prayers
I think your are grossly mistaken.

We have left a year ago!! we voted 4 years ago!!
I have no desire to suck anything you offer up sorry.
Praying for the collapse of Britain. You clearly have not read my book or any of my posts. No mention of praying at all !!

I

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 162 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 1:36 am

You clearly have not read my book
Your book???? 🤣🤣🤣

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 163 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

I must say i am more and more confident of a great future for the UK after 31st December. The more i read the posts from waz fills me with even more confidence. As over the years he has made many predictions on many issues and i think i am right in saying he has been wrong on most subjects. As one who never wanted to be in the EU club in the first place i look forward to a life outside of that club.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 164 of 302 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Again Waz you are not reading my post.

Personally as regards my travel planning you make it sound as if it’s a great hindrance, requires lots of paperwork and a real difficulty. It simply is not.

My “European” status has been forfeited? I myself am British and live in the United Kingdom in a country called England. Those are my routes and first allegiance. I don’t think I have ever wandered around saying I come from Europe. Perhaps I am the odd one out here?

As for your business, it is your business and no need for me to comment on how you intend to run it. However I am confident that your trips to Spain will not be impeded.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 165 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

I must say that I was a bit surprised and disapointed to read that Mr Barnier was only offering a 23% reduction over 10 years but then I suppose that does give some wriggle room and eel no doubt be prepared to give a little as negotiations come down to the wire.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 166 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 8:22 am
waz-24-7 wrote:

Your book???? 🤣🤣🤣

The Life and Times of a Damp Squid.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 167 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 12:33 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 8:22 am
waz-24-7 wrote:

Your book???? 🤣🤣🤣

The Life and Times of a Damp Squid.
Maybe there’s a Christmas single? As if the world hasn’t suffered enough this year

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 168 of 302 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

12 days to go!

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 169 of 302 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

the questions are very easy...
1. if the UK does not permit fishing within their waters, why the EU should permit eg, the "financial fishing" within EU "waters"?

as same the UK can claim that "we will find other markets " for our products (or, eg, eat the fish ourselves), the EU can say: we will find other suppliers for our market (or, eg, in the future, distibute the financial services on our own, and if not immediately, then in 5 years..).

despite that, iam sure that, under these circumstances, a vast majority in the UK favour a soft brexit (call it brino if you like) as 48+% voted remain, and, which is, tbh, the only logical compromise of the referendum.

if you get a hard brexit (i say "you get.." because for the europeans it will in any case not be "that hard") then i make a bet..
in 5-10 years we either have sort of a war (UK ship sinks french fisherman, UK on tax black list of the EU, the lot.. ) or....
the UK-EU relationship is close to a "very very much brino" with dozens of agreements for everything... which actually is also not very much opposed any more.. because many of the hard brexiteers are... dead.
5-10 years to go!

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 170 of 302 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Kibsolor, to give us access to their financial markets of course they can take what is ours, let them take the fish that are in our waters, let them take the crown jewels, let their drive into the uk and have free fuel, why haven't we give them our North Sea oil. And as for hard Brexiteers being now dead where on earth do you read such nonsense. It would take the most blinkered of a remoaner not to realise what a shower of power mad smelly stuff we are dealing with. 12 day to free us of this nonsense and in my veiw it can't come soon enough, with or without a so called deal

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 171 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

Medjoul1 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 9:46 am
I must say that I was a bit surprised and disapointed to read that Mr Barnier was only offering a 23% reduction over 10 years but then I suppose that does give some wriggle room and eel no doubt be prepared to give a little as negotiations come down to the wire.
I am surprised that Ms Sturgeon and Mr Salmon(d) haven't become involved in this debacle but I suppose, to put things into perspective, they are just small fry who would probably end up taking a battering.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 172 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 8:40 am

Personally as regards my travel planning you make it sound as if it’s a great hindrance, requires lots of paperwork and a real difficulty. It simply is not.

My “European” status has been forfeited? I myself am British and live in the United Kingdom in a country called England. Those are my routes and first allegiance. I don’t think I have ever wandered around saying I come from Europe. Perhaps I am the odd one out here?

As for your business, it is your business and no need for me to comment on how you intend to run it. However I am confident that your trips to Spain will not be impeded.
Hello Posh,
Of course you can advise upon on how you are personally impacted . Generally I have commented upon how UK citizens can be impacted by loss of EU citizenship.
I too do not rally around stating I am European. I too am proud of my Welsh heritage. The EU status has been taken for granted by most and given very little regard. I think possibly that includes you.
The fact remains that European freedoms have been forfeited. To some it is apparently of no consequence.
My view also, in a few cases. My opinion is that it will be ex pats in Europe including Cyprus plus UK business that will be impacted most significantly.
Certainly my trips into Europe will not be massively hindered. Doing business within the Union will certainly change and the uncertainty thrust upon me and millions of others is not helpful.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 173 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

thornaby wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 1:55 pm
Kibsolor, to give us access to their financial markets of course they can take what is ours, let them take the fish that are in our waters, let them take the crown jewels, let their drive into the uk and have free fuel, why haven't we give them our North Sea oil. And as for hard Brexiteers being now dead where on earth do you read such nonsense. It would take the most blinkered of a remoaner not to realise what a shower of power mad smelly stuff we are dealing with. 12 day to free us of this nonsense and in my veiw it can't come soon enough, with or without a so called deal

This warmongering talk is hardly helpful. Perhaps you should rally the troops to arms. Let's be real.. We cannot put this rhetoric in the bank. It wont pay the bills. Trade, trade and co operation.
I can't see a queue of customers at your shop door bar possibly some camo clad old soldiers..Rule Britannia.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 174 of 302 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 2:51 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

Hello Posh,
Of course you can advise upon on how you are personally impacted . Generally I have commented upon how UK citizens can be impacted by loss of EU citizenship.
I too do not rally around stating I am European. I too am proud of my Welsh heritage. The EU status has been taken for granted by most and given very little regard. I think possibly that includes you.
The fact remains that European freedoms have been forfeited. To some it is apparently of no consequence.
My view also, in a few cases. My opinion is that it will be ex pats in Europe including Cyprus plus UK business that will be impacted most significantly.
Certainly my trips into Europe will not be massively hindered. Doing business within the Union will certainly change and the uncertainty thrust upon me and millions of others is not helpful.
So for holidays and shorter stays to the EU you would agree that travel should not be a massive issue nor inconvenience?

OK I will ask the question.

In your view what will be the impact on ex pats in Europe including Cyprus?

I am presuming that you think there could possibly be a change to their status whatever EU country they either reside in or spend extended periods of time visiting?

Do you know for certain that their status will change on 1 Jan 2021? Has this been decided? Is there in place any arrangements to ensure this does not happen?

I am genuinely interested to know because we have a few friends who own property in France and Spain who do live in country or visit for a good few months at a time. They haven’t mentioned that they are or expect to experience any major problems. Friends who own or rent property and live permanently in the Republic of Cyprus have told me that they apply for residency, similar to us in the TRNC. Of course they have to meet certain criteria but that is only reasonable and to be expected.

Like I said travel to and within the EU really wasn’t high up on my list of considerations to leave or remain.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 175 of 302 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Waz, get real for goodness sake. Get over the fact that we are leaving the eu. Should we leave with a free trade deal that is only what people voted for when we first joined the common market. Iam sure voters then never imagined at the time it was all a con to become a European superstate. Insisting we keep what is ours is hardly warmongering . Freedom of movement is a ridiculous idea like many things comming out of the Eu. I am happy with my curved bananas, very happy that we can keep European undesirables off our streets and even happier that laws that effect me are not made by a bunch of undemocratic, unelected selfserving clowns in Brussels. 12 days and counting!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 176 of 302 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

thornaby..... Don’t forget that these clowns not only work in Brussels but once a month move lock, stock and barrel to Strasbourg.

Now if that isn’t a waste of money I don’t know what is!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 177 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 4:03 pm

I am presuming that you think there could possibly be a change to their status whatever EU country they either reside in or spend extended periods of time visiting?

Do you know for certain that their status will change on 1 Jan 2021? Has this been decided? Is there in place any arrangements to ensure this does not happen?

I am genuinely interested to know
Why on Earth are you asking, he doesn’t know.
He will give you an opinion which gives you 2 options;

1. Blow your brains out because he isn’t exactly a glass half full kind of guy more a glass is empty and you’ll smash it and it will sever an artery kind of guy.

2. Do the complete opposite of what he advises as that’ll inevitably be the right answer!

Still he has eased the Christmas present problem for what to get your mother in law with his book which I look forward to hearing more about 😀

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 178 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 4:11 pm
thornaby..... Don’t forget that these clowns not only work in Brussels but once a month move lock, stock and barrel to Strasbourg.

Now if that isn’t a waste of money I don’t know what is!
Gotta rack up those expenses somehow. Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who had a company car but didn’t do enough miles to not get hammered for tax. Used to go on more round the houses trips than a black cabbie taking a Japanese tourist into London

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 179 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:

Hello Posh,
So for holidays and shorter stays to the EU you would agree that travel should not be a massive issue nor inconvenience?

I am genuinely interested to know because we have a few friends who own property in France and Spain who do live in country or visit for a good few months at a time. They haven’t mentioned that they are or expect to experience any major problems. Friends who own or rent property and live permanently in the Republic of Cyprus have told me that they apply for residency, similar to us in the TRNC. Of course they have to meet certain criteria but that is only reasonable and to be expected.

Like I said travel to and within the EU really wasn’t high up on my list of considerations to leave or remain.

Hello Posh,
The answer should be abundantly clear.
You and indeed anyone living in , visiting or transiting across the EU will no longer hold a FREE right of passage.
The UK government have been bringing this to public and businesses attention for many months.
I'm afraid that many simply do not grasp this. You had the right but now you don't. The EU will take whatever steps they wish. Visas, entry permits, green card type system. We do not know.
Certainly residency is a different ball game and the EU passport did not automatically allow freedom to reside. Your own position is clear. The effect upon tourism and travel by UK passport holders will transpire as new entry requirements are implemented. You cannot expect to close your own borders and expect others to fling the doors open to you.
Last edited by waz-24-7 on Sat 19 Dec 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 180 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 4:15 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

I am genuinely interested to know
Why on Earth are you asking, he doesn’t know.
He will give you an opinion which gives you 2 options;

1. Blow your brains out because he isn’t exactly a glass half full kind of guy more a glass is empty and you’ll smash it and it will sever an artery kind of guy.

2. Do the complete opposite of what he advises as that’ll inevitably be the right answer!

Still he has eased the Christmas present problem for what to get your mother in law with his book which I look forward to hearing more about 😀
Sorry
but your un invited slander is not helpful.
please debate or just go away. :-1:(

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 181 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Medjoul1 wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:46 am

I am surprised that Ms Sturgeon and Mr Salmon(d) haven't become involved in this debacle but I suppose, to put things into perspective, they are just small fry who would probably end up taking a battering.

Not long left to the latest deadline, its time to turbo(t) charge negotiations.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 182 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 5:14 pm

Sorry
but your un invited slander is not helpful.
please debate or just go away. :-1:(
Few points.
Slander is verbal, libel is written.
It’s not slander or libel if it’s true. It’s not slander or libel if it is opinion based on facts available at the time.
Generally both slander and libel are uninvited as few invite them.
You don’t debate as to debate you listen to the points someone is making and enter into a dialogue. You ignore anything that anyone writes and enter into a monologue with your usual doom and gloom nonsense.

Do you visit every forum in the world to give your view on Brexit? I ask because, unless you can somehow shoehorn the EU in, you make zero to little contribution to anything else on these forums.
But if the EU or Brexit is mentioned you must rush home, take the phone off the hook, make a quick sandwich to eat at the computer and off you go.
It is getting to the stage if Brexit is mentioned and you haven’t popped in within the hour I honestly begin to worry about you. If you don’t appear for a day I’m tempted to call the police.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 183 of 302 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 5:11 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:

Hello Posh,

Hello Posh,
You and indeed anyone living in , visiting or transiting across the EU will no longer hold a FREE right of passage.
The UK government have been bringing this to public and businesses attention for many months.
I'm afraid that many simply do not grasp this. You had the right but now you don't. The EU will take whatever steps they wish. Visas, entry permits, green card type system. We do not know.
Certainly residency is a different ball game and the EU passport did not automatically allow freedom to reside. Your own position is clear. The effect upon tourism and travel by UK passport holders will transpire as new entry requirements are implemented. You cannot expect to close your own borders and expect others to fling the doors open to you.
I ask again.... has the EU announced restrictions about travel, have they or are they about to introduce some paperwork, visa requirements or whatever? If they have or are planning to do this please provide evidence.

As I enjoy travelling both in Europe and throughout the world I try to stay up to date on rules and requirements. I have seen nothing that would concern me. I have also seen nothing that would likely impact on U.K. holidaymakers wishing to take holidays or breaks in Europe. Why would countries in the EU want to prevent or make things difficult for U.K. tourists visiting? Why would they want to have a detrimental impact on there tourist industry and the huge amount of revenue that U.K. tourists bring in annually?

I think again you are grasping at straws with this one.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 184 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:

The effect upon tourism and travel by UK passport holders will transpire as new entry requirements are implemented. You cannot expect to close your own borders and expect others to fling the doors open to you.
If Greece, Spain and others close their doors to British tourists it will be the equivalent of burning down your own shop to stop a customer entering.
I suggest when you write this stuff take a minute to read it or better still ask for a second opinion before posting it.
I realise nothing would give you greater pleasure than for Britain’s to be under a form of house arrest but like so many of your predictions isn’t going to happen.

If Greece was told by the EU to limit British tourists then unless they were compensated for their horrendous financial loss from EU coffers, which are going to be considerably lighter once we leave, then they would leave the EU. They would have to.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 185 of 302 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Waz your beloved EU rights do come with restrictions -

1. All Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of another Member State for a period of longer than three months if they:
(a)
are workers or self-employed persons in the host Member State; or
(b)
have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 186 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 7:57 pm

1. All Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of another Member State for a period of longer than three months if they:
(a)
(b)
have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State
So just like here then where our EU membership has been worthless?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 187 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 7:57 pm

(a)
(b)
I wish it were that simple.
However.
Given we are no longer within the EU these "restrictions " are not anymore relevant. It is now very clear (to the now enlightened) that the relationship with the EU is to be massively different in many many ways that will effect UK citizens and ex pats in particular.
Freedom of entry and passage is just one that seems to be quite evocative. That freedom is no longer a given right and you cannot demand to hold onto it just because you're British.
If you believe things will not change then that is fine. My view is that they cannot stay the same.

More important to me is the changes to doing business with the Union. There are many many negatives. The lack of any economic plan and or deal is (in my mind) in the main due to the clear losses that are at stake. Essentially the negotiation is over "damage and damages" and definitely not over any increase in benefit or additional prosperity.

I am absolutely aware that we are now OUT. It is now for each and everyone, certainly on this forum to, to align your plans and cut your cloth to suit.
The massive pay back for COVID and BREXIT will start very soon indeed. Taxes upon anyone with even small savings, capital assets or investments will be in the sights.
If you feel Brexit was going to be tick the box and everything else will fall into line then more fool you.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 188 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 6:39 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:

The effect upon tourism and travel by UK passport holders will transpire as new entry requirements are implemented. You cannot expect to close your own borders and expect others to fling the doors open to you.
If Greece, Spain and others close their doors to British tourists it will be the equivalent of burning down your own shop to stop a customer entering.
I suggest when you write this stuff take a minute to read it or better still ask for a second opinion before posting it.
I realise nothing would give you greater pleasure than for Britain’s to be under a form of house arrest but like so many of your predictions isn’t going to happen.

If Greece was told by the EU to limit British tourists then unless they were compensated for their horrendous financial loss from EU coffers, which are going to be considerably lighter once we leave, then they would leave the EU. They would have to.
Sorry ... you are taking the line.
I have never referenced anyone closing entirely their borders to UK visitors. You are taking that to a new fear level. Selective exclusion is however likely combined with a level of pre entry vetting. You see this in the USA for example.

I agree it would be a foolish measure for Spain or Greece to close borders to tourists.
What is likely and very possible. A chargeable visa system. Undesirables will be denied visas, selective residency, chargeable health care, the list could be rather large. Sailors, with yachts in EU countries are being forced to return yachts to the UK or possibly face massive VAT bills.

I have said that the "normal" rights that people have taken for granted for so long have been forfeited. The changes on the horizon cannot be ignored. To do so would be folly.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 189 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 6:36 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:

Hello Posh,
I ask again.... has the EU announced restrictions about travel, have they or are they about to introduce some paperwork, visa requirements or whatever? If they have or are planning to do this please provide evidence.

As I enjoy travelling both in Europe and throughout the world I try to stay up to date on rules and requirements. I have seen nothing that would concern me. I have also seen nothing that would likely impact on U.K. holidaymakers wishing to take holidays or breaks in Europe. Why would countries in the EU want to prevent or make things difficult for U.K. tourists visiting? Why would they want to have a detrimental impact on there tourist industry and the huge amount of revenue that U.K. tourists bring in annually?

NO the EU have not announced restrictions. They don't need to. The point is that you no longer have a legal right of free passage.
In two weeks time i'm sure member states will simply take UK passport holders as aliens and you will queue accordingly at point of entry.
It appears you are yet another that is hoodwinked into thinking it will be travel as normal. Your rights as a "privileged " UK traveller will not change is a foolish assumption.

I am not grasping at straws.
I simply enlighten all what the legal position is and what they may expect as a non European.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 190 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 8:58 pm

I agree it would be a foolish measure for Spain or Greece to close borders to tourists.
What is likely and very possible. A chargeable visa system. Undesirables will be denied visas, selective residency
So they’ll charge what a fiver for a visa which won’t be much of a deal breaker when you are spending hundreds on a holiday. If they charge too much people will go elsewhere. So they won’t let serious criminals in? Big deal hopefully we will do the same. Selective residency as in you’ll need to have a job or an income to support yourself just like now?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 191 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 10:12 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 8:58 pm

What is likely and very possible. A chargeable visa system. Undesirables will be denied visas, selective residency
So they’ll charge what a fiver for a visa which won’t be much of a deal breaker when you are spending hundreds on a holiday. If they charge too much people will go elsewhere. So they won’t let serious criminals in? Big deal hopefully we will do the same. Selective residency as in you’ll need to have a job or an income to support yourself just like now?
Hey...so it will be just like its always been. Wonderful news indeed.
Except the fact that you have lesser rights, privileges and protections than when you were within a Union with that Country.
Its those little items of privilege and acceptance that will be missed by myself when visiting old partner Countries.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 192 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

What's your book called?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 193 of 302 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 9:10 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:

Hello Posh,

NO the EU have not announced restrictions. They don't need to. The point is that you no longer have a legal right of free passage.
In two weeks time i'm sure member states will simply take UK passport holders as aliens and you will queue accordingly at point of entry.
It appears you are yet another that is hoodwinked into thinking it will be travel as normal. Your rights as a "privileged " UK traveller will not change is a foolish assumption.

I simply enlighten all what the legal position is and what they may expect as a non European.
So as things stand no restrictions, no extra paperwork, visas or permits have been specified as a requirement by the EU for U.K. citizens wishing to travel.

As I have acknowledged we will probably have to stand in a different queue at passport control in an EU member country. Of course they won’t just wave me thro but will likely take a little longer to check and confirm the details. Fine by me. I don’t really agree with letting anyone in just because there passport is purple in colour. So no real inconvenience.

Again you have failed to acknowledge and answer the question as to why EU countries; especially those that rely heavily on U.K. travellers coming on holiday, would really want to cut off this source of income. Do you really believe they are going to make it so difficult?

So what “privilege” am I really missing out on..... standing in a queue for EU passport holders as opposed to a different queue for U.K. passport holders? A queue is a queue. How have I been hoodwinked?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 194 of 302 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 10:54 pm
What's your book called?
My struggle?

Will he be able to sell it in countries in the EU?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 195 of 302 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 10:57 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 9:10 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

So as things stand no restrictions, no extra paperwork, visas or permits have been specified as a requirement by the EU for U.K. citizens wishing to travel.

As I have acknowledged we will probably have to stand in a different queue at passport control in an EU member country. Of course they won’t just wave me thro but will likely take a little longer to check and confirm the details. Fine by me. I don’t really agree with letting anyone in just because there passport is purple in colour. So no real inconvenience.

Again you have failed to acknowledge and answer the question as to why EU countries; especially those that rely heavily on U.K. travellers coming on holiday, would really want to cut off this source of income. Do you really believe they are going to make it so difficult?

So what “privilege” am I really missing out on..... standing in a queue for EU passport holders as opposed to a different queue for U.K. passport holders? A queue is a queue. How have I been hoodwinked?
So yes.
Life will be just the same... You hope.
So am I to believe that we are so much better off that indeed I too should have voted leave.

EU countries will never want to intentionally cut a source of income. That appears to be the remit of the UK alone once a deal is done..
My referral in these matters is a simple and clear legal position which is that you no longer have a legal right of passage or entry nothing to do with revenue cut off.

You appear to take a view that because you will have a few euros in your pocket your pre exit privileges will line up on the border with welcoming European arms. I think not.

I will say that I am in hope that travellers will in time find that the Union will soften upon their requirements particularly if trade and co operation is re kindled to the advantage of both sides. That however is some time off and given the very challenging times. The gap in our economics, balance of payments and prosperity I see significant snatch back by government from anyone who can afford it. That includes savers, investors and those with capital assets.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 196 of 302 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

http://www.europeanmigrationlaw.eu
1. Subject to the provisions of this Chapter, Member States may restrict the freedom of movement and residence of Union citizens and their family members, irrespective of nationality, on grounds of public policy, public security or public health. These grounds shall not be invoked to serve economic ends.
https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021
If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.
Different rules will apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. If you visit these countries, visits to other EU countries will not count towards the 90-day total.
You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 197 of 302 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Feel the same as 13roman58. OP about Fishing, we're now on page 4 and thread has meandered around the houses enough and ended up with people smuggling and the Albanians.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 198 of 302 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Waz.....

I am trying to engage in sensible discussion. You have recently posted about paperwork, visas, permits restrictions on travel etc for U.K. citizens travelling to Europe. When questioned and asked for evidence you confirm none of this is in place and you have no evidence to suggest it will be implemented. You even suggest that I have been hoodwinked but provide no real reason as to why.

Can you not see why some may think this is your version of project fear?

I acknowledge that things will be different after the 31 Dec and despite the last four years, will look forward positively. It’s democracy in action.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 199 of 302 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

That nice gentleman Mr Barnier has now offered to give us back an extra 7% of our own fish, how very kind of him. 11 days to go!

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 200 of 302 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

I see waz has moved on a little from his well trodden ' people will have problems trying to visit other countries when they no longer have free access ' as it is now obvious that his stance has no substance. He is now trying to claim that the UK government will penalize citizens by ' raiding their savings' to claw back the expense of the covid outbreak. Can i just ask, is it only the UK who will need to find money for the costs of the pandemic? and if the countries still in the EU impose similar taxes on their peoples? My feeling is that the UK together with the rest of the EU countries would have been asked to fund these costs throughout the EU, but maybe with a larger than average slice asked from the UK.

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”