The Brexit effect

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The Brexit effect

•   Message 201 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 7:49 pm

If you researched many younger Brexit forums you would detect the viewpoint that most youngsters feel let down.
I quote one message from 2016
"if you are a white, and old brexiteer"...Please die.
I’m not obsessed with the subject so I won’t.
Most youngsters these days seem to believe communism is a good thing so it’s good their elders have their back.
Grown ups look out for kids

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 202 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 8:44 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 7:49 pm

If you researched many younger Brexit forums you would detect the viewpoint that most youngsters feel let down.
I quote one message from 2016
"if you are a white, and old brexiteer"...Please die.
I’m not obsessed with the subject so I won’t.
Most youngsters these days seem to believe communism is a good thing so it’s good their elders have their back.
Grown ups look out for kids
I beg to differ as I mentor young entrepreneurs to seek out opportunity wherever it is. These youngsters will guide the destiny of the UK and the rest of the world. The WWW and social media has opened to globe up entirely. Competitive edge and opportunity is there for them. Freedom of travel and freedom to trade is essential if they are to compete.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 203 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 9:02 pm

I beg to differ as I mentor young entrepreneurs to seek out opportunity wherever it is.
And they speak for their entire generation.
Ok then.
If they need advice on travelling to France or Germany etc pass them onto me I can maybe help them on that.
1) Buy a ticket
2) No, that’s pretty much it

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 204 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 9:46 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 9:02 pm

I beg to differ as I mentor young entrepreneurs to seek out opportunity wherever it is.
And they speak for their entire generation.
Ok then.
If they need advice on travelling to France or Germany etc pass them onto me I can maybe help them on that.
1) Buy a ticket
2) No, that’s pretty much it
I think it better you take your course and let others take theirs.
Yes I am a swallow to Cyprus and I like many take pleasure from what it offers.
My supported views are clear and I provide first hand experiences upon how I see things.

Yes I am disappointed that it is now more difficult for me to visit Cyprus, It is more difficult for me to do business in Europe. It is more challenging for the UK to prosper. It is very possible that the UK may divide and the Good Friday Peace accord could fail. Some UK businesses are in Brexit disarray.
These are real concerns to me and I'm afraid nothing you say or do, whilst you sun yourself in far off European sunshine, will change that.
Brexit Boris is very aware of the problems and my hope is that he steps up and make good his promises of prosperity .

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 205 of 346 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Waz

More difficult to visit Cyprus???

Errr......buy a ticket, get on a plane, land at an airport.
Make sure you have a passport tho. Sorry if that is difficult, no wonder you are fretting.

In this pandemic different countries may have introduced different rules for travel and entry but that has nothing to do with Brexit. Best to check before buying a ticket.

By the way our young people voted leave. Maybe for you that means they were not young enough? If your mentoring these young people you speak of then I am worried.

To be honest most young people I talk to hardly ever mention Brexit or the EU, they have moved on. They do talk about Covid 19 a lot tho and how that is impacting them. That’s the good thing about being young, it’s about what’s impacting now.... Covid is all the talk, Brexit is not.

In an earlier post of a few days ago you mentioned that the U.K. had lost 68% of its exports to the EU. So where did you get this information? I only mention this because today, with little research I have found that those reports are being highlighted as absolute rubbish. So is it true, partially true, completely untrue? Personally I find the figure of 68% extremely high as to be not believable.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 206 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 11:13 pm

Yes I am disappointed that it is now more difficult for me to visit Cyprus,
Give me a C
Give me an O
Give me a V
Give me an I
Give me a D

And what have you got?

Haven’t spelt out the whole word up to yet but it’s not getting through is it so important to spell it out

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 207 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021 11:35 pm

Make sure you have a passport tho.
But you’ll go to prison.....apparently!
And is Boris Johnson going to help him buy a ticket or get on the plane that’s the real question?

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 208 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Waz,

Waz
You obviously chose to ignore my previous post .....

I’ve copied again for you....

You are just like a broken record.

Tell me this.....what actual benefits did you assume would happen in the first 5 weeks of Brexit? You have just said you haven’t seen any new benefits since Brexit!! Yet you care not to debate the vaccine programme. Is this because it doesn’t suit your anti Brexit agenda?
Only today a leading German MP has come out heavily criticising the EU and the way it’s shambolic handling of the whole vaccine program.
The main reason it’s been such a shambles is the huge amount of beurocracy attached to it.

In the middle of this monumental World struggle Britain is leading the way ( you brush this off) and come back with Britain’s death toll. Yet London is the top stopover in the World. The uk had over 60 million more people come through its borders than France yet France isn’t that far behind the UK and it’s numbers are still increasing.
No European Country gets anywhere near the numbers of people through its borders that the UK get.
Could we have done better? Yes absolutely....and now we are doing better....!!!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 209 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Walesforever wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 11:28 am

Tell me this.....what actual benefits did you assume would happen in the first 5 weeks of Brexit?
He is is one of those people who buys two Euro millions tickets and wins 80 million with one of the tickets and moans that the other one didn't pay out at all.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 210 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

The companies that will be successful in the long term are those that are proactive rather than reactive. The much maligned (by some) Boris has said since he was elected PM that we will be leaving the single market. It is hardly his fault that when we did the reactive ones held their heads in shock and horror when they suddenly discovered that there were a few more forms to fill in. The proactive ones had made contingency plans and got on with the job in hand without too much trouble. Lack of leadership is the cause of those experiencing problems.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 211 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Brazen wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 12:38 pm

Lack of leadership is the cause of those experiencing problems.
I think some expect Johnson to micro manage every aspect of day to day life in the UK.
A care home or hospital hasn't got any PPE equipment, that's the government's fault.
Some of course want big government sticking their noses into every aspect of their lives.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 212 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Waz

In an earlier post of a few days ago you mentioned that the U.K. had lost 68% of its exports to the EU. So where did you get this information? I only mention this because today, with little research I have found that those reports are being highlighted as absolute rubbish. So is it true, partially true, completely untrue? Personally I find the figure of 68% extremely high as to be not believable.
Press release from Port of Dover..

"A month on since the end of the Brexit transition period, the Port of Dover is pleased to already be welcoming over 90% of the freight traffic volumes typical of this time of year following the significant stockpiling experienced before Christmas."

http://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/t ... por/13575/

Can anyone living near the remainiac go and remove sharp objects from his house

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 213 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Posh in Devon
[/quote]

The silence is deafening!
Perhaps he’s at a form filling seminar.
Last edited by Brazen on Mon 08 Feb 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 214 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

What a can of worms I opened with questions that I have not really had an answer to, despite over 200 posts on the subject. Therefore, can I ask another question, I will keep it simple, it is a 50/50 question that only requires a yes or no answer!

First I have noted the 7 point plan for Cyprus as put forward by the UK, I have also noted the normal rhetoric put out by the ROC who only want everything as normal. However, it is looking possible that a workable plan will come out this time and that would entail both the North and the South being full members of the EU! Should that happen then all people living in Cyprus would be either automatically EU citizens or face a timescale during which they would either have to become EU citizens or leave!

My question then is easy: Should the North gain full membership of the EU would those non EU citizens who live here apply to become EU citizens?
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 215 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

waddo wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 4:28 pm
What a can of worms I opened with questions that I have not really had an answer to, despite over 200 posts on the subject. Therefore, can I ask another question, I will keep it simple, it is a 50/50 question that only requires a yes or no answer!

First I have noted the 7 point plan for Cyprus as put forward by the UK, I have also noted the normal rhetoric put out by the ROC who only want everything as normal. However, it is looking possible that a workable plan will come out this time and that would entail both the North and the South being full members of the EU! Should that happen then all people living in Cyprus would be either automatically EU citizens or face a timescale during which they would either have to become EU citizens or leave!

My question then is easy: Should the North gain full membership of the EU would those non EU citizens who live here apply to become EU citizens?

You 'asked' a very non specific question and I asked for clarfication of what you wanted. You didn't answer.

As for the 7 point plan can you post a link to it so we can see what we are being asked to consider.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 216 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

It was a two part question that required some investigation by the people who would answer it - it seems that unless full details are made available then people are not interested in doing their own research! All the question succeeded in producing was a long drawn out discussion on how wonderful the UK is or is going to be now it is no longer in the EU - pointless but interesting in parts.

As for the 7 point plan - https://www.yeniduzen.com/ingiltereden- ... 36914h.htm there you go, freely available on the local news! Don’t forget to read the Cyprus Mail as well to get a better picture of what is happening in the RoC.

However, I see the attempt at asking a “Specific” 50/50 question has also failed so I will withdraw and let others think about it without requirement for an answer.

Stay safe.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 217 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

waddo wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 5:09 pm
It was a two part question that required some investigation by the people who would answer it - it seems that unless full details are made available then people are not interested in doing their own research! All the question succeeded in producing was a long drawn out discussion on how wonderful the UK is or is going to be now it is no longer in the EU - pointless but interesting in parts.

As for the 7 point plan - https://www.yeniduzen.com/ingiltereden- ... 36914h.htm there you go, freely available on the local news! Don’t forget to read the Cyprus Mail as well to get a better picture of what is happening in the RoC.

However, I see the attempt at asking a “Specific” 50/50 question has also failed so I will withdraw and let others think about it without requirement for an answer.

Stay safe.
By EU citizen I take it you mean Cypriot nationality
Its only 50/50 if you give the full parameters
Can I stay has a 3rd country national ?
Can I apply to stay has a resident?
Do I have to leave unless I become dual national?
How much would the golden passport cost?

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 218 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

waddo wrote:

Stay safe.
So initially you wanted posters to go and find out somewhere what your question was?.......and you moan that no-one answered!

And it helps greatly if you are quoting or referring to something to provide a source.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 219 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 5:44 pm
waddo wrote:

Stay safe.
By EU citizen I take it you mean Cypriot nationality
Its only 50/50 if you give the full parameters
Can I stay has a 3rd country national ?
Can I apply to stay has a resident?
Do I have to leave unless I become dual national?
How much would the golden passport cost?

Going by a previous explanation from the OP you apparently have to go and find out yourself exactly what question you are being asked.

Good luck

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 220 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

waddo wrote:

No such thing as an EU citizen. You would have to apply to become a citizen of the RoC or whatever the country would be called.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 221 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Hedge-Fund - Well, that has told me then - never ask a question and expect people to reply to it if they don't like it or can't be bothered to investigate why the question was asked or what it relates to. Here was me thinking that if you asked a question people would investigate before answering, silly me = Why were you doing 90 KPH in a 30 KPH zone sir? I don't know, don't understand, why have you stopped me?????? LOL!

In particular never ask a 50/50 question because then nobody can argue about it, so they either don't answer it or ask for more information because they can't figure out how to answer it with more than a YES or a NO!

In fact - never ask a question seems to be the real answer!

I give up, go back to trying to persuade everyone that Brexit was Bad/Good and that it's only Covid that has changed things.

Kerry 6138 - My question was: "My question then is easy: Should the North gain full membership of the EU would those non EU citizens who live here apply to become EU citizens?"

Your reply was: 'By EU citizen I take it you mean Cypriot nationality
Its only 50/50 if you give the full parameters". NO I meant an EU citizen!
Can I stay has a 3rd country national ?. Read the EU rules regarding citizenship of the EU country you wish to stay in!
Can I apply to stay has a resident?. Read the EU rules regarding citizenship of the EU country you wish to stay in!
Do I have to leave unless I become dual national? Read the rules regarding citizenship of the EU country you wish to stay in!
How much would the golden passport cost?'. Try to keep up, the EU has banned the sale of "Golden Passports", but you would know that already?

In any case the question appears to be moot now: https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/02/08/gree ... t-updated/

Brazen - So your answer would be NO?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 222 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:

Would I be given the chance to become a TRNC citizen if the North gained membership?
If I was and did then I'd be a citizen of TRNC who was a member of the EU not an EU citizen unless the EU god forbid has some idea of becoming a country as in the United States of Europe which we are assured isn't the case.

Also regarding membership of the EU, for some countries it can be a good thing.
If you are a country who is a net recipient and the laws it introduced were an improvement on what you had then why not?
Poland was communist so pretty much anything is going to be an improvement tbh. The billions it receives and the right to significantly increase your wages by moving somewhere nice is a bonus too.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 223 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Waz

Still waiting....... tick tock tick tock tick tock (:Q)

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 224 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Walesforever wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 11:28 am
Waz,

Waz
You obviously chose to ignore my previous post .....

I’ve copied again for you....

You are just like a broken record.

Tell me this.....what actual benefits did you assume would happen in the first 5 weeks of Brexit? You have just said you haven’t seen any new benefits since Brexit!! Yet you care not to debate the vaccine programme. Is this because it doesn’t suit your anti Brexit agenda?
Only today a leading German MP has come out heavily criticising the EU and the way it’s shambolic handling of the whole vaccine program.
The main reason it’s been such a shambles is the huge amount of beurocracy attached to it.

In the middle of this monumental World struggle Britain is leading the way ( you brush this off) and come back with Britain’s death toll. Yet London is the top stopover in the World. The uk had over 60 million more people come through its borders than France yet France isn’t that far behind the UK and it’s numbers are still increasing.
No European Country gets anywhere near the numbers of people through its borders that the UK get.
Could we have done better? Yes absolutely....and now we are doing better....!!!
Apologies for the late response.
Covid and the pandemic is NOT a Brexit issue. Leaving the EU would not protect anyone from this dreadful disease. The COVID agenda has only emerged as Brexit debate because it suits you. The UK roll is superb and I do not knock it. Oxford research has not been held up IN or OUT though scholars have expressed concerns some 4 yrs ago upon sharing of critical research into all sorts of science co operations.

Whilst I acknowledge errors made by the EU on vaccine roll out. I do not accept for one moment that this justifies the current OUT position of the UK. The long game and bigger picture is more important in my view.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 225 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Brazen wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 3:28 pm
Posh in Devon
The silence is deafening!
Perhaps he’s at a form filling seminar.
[/quote]

The data came from the Road hauliers group that have a daily figure of trucks exporting goods into the EU. The figure reflects a reduction in trucks, presumably laden going into the EU. The numbers were on UK news channels last Friday.
If you have other figures or numbers then please share. Certainly numbers are down. When the ONS reports and of 1/4 one we will see for sure.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 226 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 3:24 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
Waz

Press release from Port of Dover..

"A month on since the end of the Brexit transition period, the Port of Dover is pleased to already be welcoming over 90% of the freight traffic volumes typical of this time of year following the significant stockpiling experienced before Christmas."

http://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/t ... por/13575/

Can anyone living near the remainiac go and remove sharp objects from his house
I believe this refers to IMPORTS that simply reduce the balance of payments. Spending money is easy. Its earning it that is the challenge!!

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 227 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Upon the ROC and EU status of Cyprus.
I do not think re unification is likely for some time. Not at least whilst Turkish military presence is so abundant
Now Turkey may be encouraged to broker a deal where the TRNC becomes EU as this will in part unify the island and then Turkey will have a route into the lucrative EU market place. I doubt very much however the ROC will entertain this.

If this was to happen then indeed UK ex pats would have to go through EU residency . Of course the anti EU brigade might then up sticks and move to Syria or even move back to the UK. rather than succumb to the dreaded EU.

Some years ago Pre Brexit my thoughts that a re unification would be no bad thing because of the EU protections and privileges that would bring.
With time however and certainly post Brexit the more laidback TRNC is more attractive. The loss of EU citizenship is a real loss but that I will endure so that I can continue the 40 yrs affinity with the Island.
Without doubt UK ex pats are more isolated than pre Brexit as crossing the green line into citizenship is now lost. A trip of many thousands of miles to UK shores is the nearest citizen status one can find.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 228 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Waz

Make sure you have a passport tho. Sorry if that is difficult, no wonder you are fretting.

In this pandemic different countries may have introduced different rules for travel and entry but that has nothing to do with Brexit. Best to check before buying a ticket.

By the way our young people voted leave. Maybe for you that means they were not young enough? If your mentoring these young people you speak of then I am worried.

To be honest most young people I talk to hardly ever mention Brexit or the EU, they have moved on. They do talk about Covid 19 a lot tho and how that is impacting them. That’s the good thing about being young, it’s about what’s impacting now.... Covid is all the talk, Brexit is not.

I believe we've discussed the difficulties post Brexit of landing in Larnaca and then travelling North. Larnaca has for many years been a preferred point of entry. Now its is unlikely to remain so.

Upon Young people. I am yet to get any youngster positivity from becoming non European, being restricted upon travel and freedom of movement reduces competitiveness in any employment market. In the modern environment any VISA FREE travel and FREE TRADE is an absolute positive in business particularly.

The 68% was presented by UK logistics firms within the Road haulage association. I think the figure is possible exaggerated to air the frustrations.
What is certain is exports via road train are depressed.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 229 of 346 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 9:20 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
Waz

I believe we've discussed the difficulties post Brexit of landing in Larnaca and then travelling North. Larnaca has for many years been a preferred point of entry. Now its is unlikely to remain so.

Upon Young people. I am yet to get any youngster positivity from becoming non European, being restricted upon travel and freedom of movement reduces competitiveness in any employment market. In the modern environment any VISA FREE travel and FREE TRADE is an absolute positive in business particularly.

The 68% was presented by UK logistics firms within the Road haulage association. I think the figure is possible exaggerated to air the frustrations.
Waz

You are obsessed with everything being difficult. It simply is not. Travel will not be difficult unless you want to make it so.

Young people - Like I said if you are mentoring them I would be worried. My son, daughter, son in law, daughter in law, friends son, friends daughter and many other young people I know and speak to are not obsessed with Brexit, they simply are not that bothered. Us oldies may see that as being naive, but maybe they just live in the now and don’t worry or overthink. All that matters to them is Covid, the impact on them working, their jobs, studies, not being able to visit or stay with family or friends, not going out partying or meeting at the pub. That’s what they concern themselves about. Brexit is hardly ever mentioned in conversation. I find that very positive and signals to me that they will get on with their lives no matter what.

The 68% number you plucked from somewhere is very exaggerated... still not seen your official link to where the information came from. The port of Dover information does have a link and my contacts at a senior level in business do not share your gloomy predictions. Like the young people they are getting on with life and promoting and growing there business.

One month into a new trading relationship is where we are. Come back in 40 years and if it’s not working we can all agree leaving the EU was a mistake.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 230 of 346 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 11:34 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:
Waz

Waz

You are obsessed with everything being difficult. It simply is not. Travel will not be difficult unless you want to make it so.

Young people - Like I said if you are mentoring them I would be worried. My son, daughter, son in law, daughter in law, friends son, friends daughter and many other young people I know and speak to are not obsessed with Brexit, they simply are not that bothered. Us oldies may see that as being naive, but maybe they just live in the now and don’t worry or overthink. All that matters to them is Covid, the impact on them working, their jobs, studies, not being able to visit or stay with family or friends, not going out partying or meeting at the pub. That’s what they concern themselves about. Brexit is hardly ever mentioned in conversation. I find that very positive and signals to me that they will get on with their lives no matter what.

The 68% number you plucked from somewhere is very exaggerated... still not seen your official link to where the information came from. The port of Dover information does have a link and my contacts at a senior level in business do not share your gloomy predictions. Like the young people they are getting on with life and promoting and growing there business.

Another announcement made today.... The UK has now agreed either continuity agreements or new trade agreements with over 90 nations across the globe since leaving the European Union last year. Positive news again.

One month into a new trading relationship is where we are. Come back in 40 years and if it’s not working we can all agree leaving the EU was a mistake.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 231 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 12:04 am
PoshinDevon wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021 11:34 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:

Waz

Another announcement made today.... The UK has now agreed either continuity agreements or new trade agreements with over 90 nations across the globe since leaving the European Union last year. Positive news again.

Difficulty leads to loss. I want none.
Yes certainly Covid issues are understandably and correctly taking front line attention. Some believe the pandemic and dealing with it is a reflection of Brexit. I do not and my guess is very few do either.
Yes people are simply getting on with life. I am certainly doing that. My evening time posts should indicate that I work within the UK economy and have daily insight into trade, markets and finance. Certainly many do not have that finger on the pulse access to real time data.
It is strange but pleasing that some spend their day waiting for my evening arrival on the forum. Todays prompts upon my arrival make me smile.

Trade agreements are welcomed. Doing the Buisness is another game . It is the SME's in the UK that are being hit right now. Large global entities that are foreign owned will win most from these new trading relationships you refer to. Most SME's don't have the global resources to secure offshore (outside Europe) trade.
As to my predictions. My position upon how the next 10 yrs will pan out is based upon how we trade with the EU and how successful the UK is at winning other offshore business. Both these elements have not started well. Trade deals are not in place in time enough to create new business.
Winning offshore business is a very long and expensive process. It is massively easier to develop current (EU) customers than to find new global ones.

Let me be clearer. It is not all doom and gloom. The UK will do Okay. Being Okay is not where I want to be. Pre Brexit the UK was performing very well ( circa 2%) following the 2008 financial crisis. The economic forecast for the UK is currently a decline of 11%.
I think that many do now think Brexit was a mistake. The problems are there and easily identified. You know what the issues are without listing them again. We are out of the EU and it is time to face up to the difficulties, small, large and some insignificant (to you)
I still question. what have we won back? Are we better off? absolutely not. I wonder your family response....possibly "no change" "no effect"
even possibly "what Brexit" This is not surprising to me as political interest is generally very low in the UK

The decline in road freight exports was issued by the RHA. In past weeks freight to and from Ireland has also fallen. I have no direct link but you may investigate if you wish. Perhaps EU trade is up. I think not.
Regarding your business friends and my "gloomy predictions" what prediction? difficulties possibly. I do not know enough about that business to pass comment on how they may be Brexit effected or how they intend to trade with the new found offshore markets that you refer to. Certainly if they are trading with the EU right now then their costs will have increased. Duty, commodity coding, conformity. They will take the hit, OR raise prices, OR open manufacturing within the EU. I doubt any two businesses will perform and or react to the changes and difficulties.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 232 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 1:06 am

Certainly many do not have that finger on the pulse access to real time data.
We’ll have our finger on that 68% figure when you pop up a link, real time or anytime.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 233 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:

In past weeks freight to and from Ireland has also fallen. I have no direct link but you may investigate if you wish. Perhaps EU trade is up. I think not.
It’s up 92.7% actually, I have no link but down to you to prove otherwise. That’s how this works right?

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 234 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 6:29 am
waz-24-7 wrote:

In past weeks freight to and from Ireland has also fallen. I have no direct link but you may investigate if you wish. Perhaps EU trade is up. I think not.
It’s up 92.7% actually, I have no link but down to you to prove otherwise. That’s how this works right?
Volume of goods into Irish ports from UK down 50%

but it is increasing.

However trade from Ireland direct to Europe has increased 100% year-on-year.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 235 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 2:08 pm

but it is increasing.

Or to summarise, early teething problems, Covid and companies not preparing?

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 236 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 4:55 pm
Mowgli597 wrote:

but it is increasing.

Spot on...
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 237 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mowgli597 wrote:

but it is increasing.

Including the U.K. government it seems:

Brexit: Irish Sea border issues foreseen when deal was done

And some people thought they WERE prepared:

Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 238 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 6:02 pm

Including the U.K. government it seems:

Brexit: Irish Sea border issues foreseen when deal was done

And some people thought they WERE prepared:

Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish
OK how the EU works is it puts tariffs both financial and regulatory on countries outside the EU to protect the interests of it's members farmers and manufacturers.
If say the oranges from Spain are 4 x the price of oranges from South Africa they put tariffs on until they are more expensive.
Now the problem with tariffs has always been they protect the inefficient as in if another country can that undercut you to that degree then maybe you ought to put your efforts into something else and take advantage of the cheap oranges.
The other problem is other countries might be in a position to retaliate. EG You put 5 euros on our oranges and we'll put 5 euros on your Apples. Again not very efficient.
The other way they protect their farmers and manufacturers is to bury outsiders in regulations. OK we won't put a financial tariff on you but we'll bury you in paperwork.

Let's not forget the French in particular could be extremely obstructive when we were actually in the EU to suit themselves.

Now we import far far more from the EU than we export to them.
Now I can see a very simple solution to solve this.
If we put tariffs on EU goods or bury them in regulations so they will struggle to sell to us I'm sure other countries will be more than eager to sell to us. Remember the customer is king.
TIt for tat isn't a great road to go down but as we import more than we export we are in an extremely strong position.
Also I struggle to think of anything that we can't buy from the rest of the world or produce ourselves. We can't produce tea or coffee due to our climate but then we don't buy that from Europe.
OK we can't get Brie but it is not beyond a manufacturer in the UK to fill that gap in the market.
If the EU want to get bloody minded we will tie ourselves in knots trying to appease them. Placating a bully encourages a bully.
Buy British when possible and seek out worldwide markets.
The customer is always king.
Time to move on.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 239 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 6:24 am
waz-24-7 wrote:

Certainly many do not have that finger on the pulse access to real time data.
We’ll have our finger on that 68% figure when you pop up a link, real time or anytime.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nce-brexit

Whilst I think the figure is exaggerated. It reflects the despair within the RTA whos members are clearly in loss.
I think a trade deal with Asia Pacific Union will be of little comfort. Shop local..it makes sense.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 240 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Dalartokat wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 5:19 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mowgli597 wrote:

but it is increasing.

Spot on...
Hmm
Okay so we' ll reduce your monetary income by 50%. Don't worry it wont be for long. Brexit Boris will make it better for you.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 241 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 8:40 pm

Hmm
Okay so we' ll reduce your monetary income by 50%. Don't worry it wont be for long. Brexit Boris will make it better for you.
The Hmm always makes me laugh. It’s not like you actually mull over what anyone says is it?

I would suggest that most businesses at the moment would settle for a 50% reduction in income. That would be the sweet trolly coming round.
Due to....
All together;
Give me a C
Give me an O
Give me a V
Give me an I
Give me a D

Fair go Waz, you gave it 8 days, no one can say you didn’t give it a try 🤣🤣🤣

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 242 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 8:37 pm

Shop local..it makes sense.
Of course that’s why no-one drives to supermarkets they all go to the corner shop for convenience and great savings.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 243 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

https://www.mtdmfg.com
Historic British motorcycle marque Norton is set open a new factory in Solihull. The firm’s new West Midlands base will open following a following a multi-million pound investment by its Indian parent company, TVS Motor Company.

Bentley Motors today announced the company’s biggest-ever intake of trainees, coinciding with the launch of National Apprenticeship Week. In spite of the impact of the COVID pandemic, in 2021 a total of 112 recruits will start their careers at Bentley

Italian-owned agribusiness Sedamyl has today announced major plans to expand(£80million investment) its Yorkshire plant which will see it double production, create additional jobs,

JCB has revealed plans to recruit more than 400 additional UK shop floor employees as the company gears up for a surge in production.
The manufacturing giant has said the market for construction equipment has “rebounded sharply” after the severe impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in spring 2020

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 244 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Tue 09 Feb 2021 11:01 pm
https://www.mtdmfg.com
Historic British motorcycle marque Norton is set open a new factory in Solihull. The firm’s new West Midlands base will open following a following a multi-million pound investment by its Indian parent company, TVS Motor Company.

Bentley Motors today announced the company’s biggest-ever intake of trainees, coinciding with the launch of National Apprenticeship Week. In spite of the impact of the COVID pandemic, in 2021 a total of 112 recruits will start their careers at Bentley

Italian-owned agribusiness Sedamyl has today announced major plans to expand(£80million investment) its Yorkshire plant which will see it double production, create additional jobs,

JCB has revealed plans to recruit more than 400 additional UK shop floor employees as the company gears up for a surge in production.
The manufacturing giant has said the market for construction equipment has “rebounded sharply” after the severe impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in spring 2020
Thank you K
I will not knock such news and wish every success. Particularly JCB which is the only British company in your list. What is important is the Covid bounce back which by all intents will be strong in the UK on the back of the vaccine roll out. Of course a Brexit effect is also certain.
When GDP and growth figures are released during last 1/4 this year then a truer picture of the UK economy will be clear. My guess is a drop off of European trade with a very small increase in other regions. A USA trade deal needs to happen sooner than later but even this will not cover the probable loss of EU business.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 245 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

More inward investment to a post apocalyptic inward looking UK

Crown paints build £4.4mil facility in Hull

Nissan to unveil new Hybrid Qashqai in Sunderland following £400 mil investment.

GMI construction Group awarded £40mil contract to build Siemans new £200mil. train factory development in Goole .

Network Space to build £54mil Glass facility St Helens.

McLaren to build chassis for the Artura at its £50mil plant in Rotherham.

Litecast doubles its capacity with £10mil investment in Warwickshire.

Aldi plans to create 4000 jobs with a £1.3bn investment.

Abi electronics based in Barnsley reports highest sales in its history with major export orders in Brazil,Taiwan,Germany,Greece,USA,Latin America,China.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 246 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Wed 10 Feb 2021 10:58 pm
More inward investment to a post apocalyptic inward looking UK

Crown paints build £4.4mil facility in Hull

Nissan to unveil new Hybrid Qashqai in Sunderland following £400 mil investment.

GMI construction Group awarded £40mil contract to build Siemans new £200mil. train factory development in Goole .

Network Space to build £54mil Glass facility St Helens.

McLaren to build chassis for the Artura at its £50mil plant in Rotherham.

Litecast doubles its capacity with £10mil investment in Warwickshire.

Aldi plans to create 4000 jobs with a £1.3bn investment.

Abi electronics based in Barnsley reports highest sales in its history with major export orders in Brazil,Taiwan,Germany,Greece,USA,Latin America,China.
Thank you.
I don't think apocalyptic is a very apt description.

Lets all hope that you can report GDP numbers support the same positivity .

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 247 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Waz

You didn’t answer what you hoped would happen in the first 5 weeks of Brexit.

BTW Another update
Cadbury’s have just announced they will be relocating back to their old HQ in Bournville Midlands from the EU creating 400 jobs.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 248 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Walesforever wrote:
Thu 11 Feb 2021 11:19 am
BTW Another update
Cadbury’s have just announced they will be relocating back to their old HQ in Bournville Midlands from the EU creating 400 jobs.
tbh, i do not know anybody who eats cadbury stuff.
some time ago, i saw cadbury in some markets... but they disappeared very quickly again.
too many (and better) alternatives.
cadbury exported from EU to UK and now this became too expensive. better to consolidate and relocate (some of its thousands of employees) to the original market.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 249 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Well we in U.K. eat loads of Cadbury’s products. I’ve just drank a Cadbury’s hot chocolate😁😄
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 250 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”