EU says no to a 2 state solution for Cyprus

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

EU says no to a 2 state solution for Cyprus

•   Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Just read that the EU will boycott any attempt to allow a 2 state solution to the Cyprus problem!!!! Who the hell do they think they are? There is supposed to be a 5 member meeting that is England, Turkey , Greece and the two Cypriot communities next month and the UN have said they will be there if needed. That should be enough without the EU sticking it's oar in.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: EU says no to a 2 state solution for Cyprus

•   Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

They are like Human Resources departments. They will shoehorn theirselves in and hijack any meeting while adding precisely zero and being a hindrance if anything
Last edited by EnjoyingTheSun on Tue 02 Feb 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Why would a trade bloc be interested in politics?

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

I'm sure waz will be able to tell us. It will probably have something to do with the UK leaving the EU.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Tue 02 Feb 2021 6:49 pm
I'm sure waz will be able to tell us. It will probably have something to do with the UK leaving the EU.
I’m sure if it ever got sorted it would be totally down to the EU. In fact as my 3 kids were born while the U.K. was in the EU I should give them more credit really.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

RoC is no longer a sovereign state but part of the EU remember, the Commissions treatment of Ireland shows what they really believe making decisions for and without referring to their commisioner or parliamentary members.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

My Guess is that as "Cyprus" is part of the EU and Turkey is not. It is a territorial back yard thing.
The UK and Turkey , guarantor powers back when it mattered lost the opportunity to do the right and proper thing.
The resulting division is a big regret I'm sure.

I think that the EU commission will be under pressure to re align their decision making to more and better consultation.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Tue 02 Feb 2021 6:49 pm
Thank you. I don't think so.
Am I the only contributor on this forum that actually voted remain?
I'm very aware of the vocal Leavers. Don't mind that at all.
Is there any of the 48% in Cyprus?
If not I enquire why.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

The EU broke its own rules to allow Cyprus entry as a divided country which was against the EU constitution
That was because Greece threatened to leave
Germany and France couldn't allow that as they were spending Greece's credit limit on their French and German products and services to beyond the limit and we all know how that worked out
Typical Mafia Soprano's "Bust Out" Episode For Tony Soprano & Richie read France and Germany
and Davy is Greece
Tony and Richie use Davey's store’s credit to buy expensive merchandise to pay off his debt. They plan to continue this until the store goes bankrupt. Tony points out to Davey that the Executive Game was fair and Davey could just as easily have won, but he is not consoled and is close to suicide. Richie is dissatisfied with the cut he is getting from the store, and with the deal he has with the Soprano family's sanitation business

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 03 Feb 2021 10:46 am

Am I the only contributor on this forum that actually voted remain?
I'm very aware of the vocal Leavers. Don't mind that at all.
Is there any of the 48% in Cyprus?
If not I enquire why.
I think there were a fair few that voted remain but when the referendum results came out they accepted that their side had lost.
So maybe they aren't as vocal because they accept a democratic vote and have moved on?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

wanderer wrote:
Wed 03 Feb 2021 11:33 am
The EU broke its own rules to allow Cyprus entry as a divided country which was against the EU constitution
That was because Greece threatened to leave
Germany and France couldn't allow that as they were spending Greece's credit limit on their French and German products and services to beyond the limit and we all know how that worked out
Typical Mafia Soprano's "Bust Out" Episode For Tony Soprano & Richie read France and Germany
and Davy is Greece
Tony and Richie use Davey's store’s credit to buy expensive merchandise to pay off his debt. They plan to continue this until the store goes bankrupt. Tony points out to Davey that the Executive Game was fair and Davey could just as easily have won, but he is not consoled and is close to suicide. Richie is dissatisfied with the cut he is getting from the store, and with the deal he has with the Soprano family's sanitation business
I agree allowing a divided Cyprus EU entry was a mistake.
The guarantor powers made a bigger mistake when they allowed the Island to fall into a civil war fuelled by xenophobic ethnic cleansing. The UK, Greece and Turkey could have resolved this and avoided the wasted lives and lost opportunities. I think each had its own secret agenda to maximise advantage at the cost of civilian lives.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

waz, It's good that you do think it was wrong of the EU to allow a divided country into the club. What are your thoughts now about the EU saying that they will not allow the country to be split into two equal states? After all, if it was wrong to allow the island to enter the EU while it was still divided, it should not now have a say on whether the country remains divided or splits into two autonomous states?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Was, I was one of the 48%, I did not agree with the way it was run and still don't. Whilst I have no bone to pick with the final result, I remain confused that the general public were convinced - with no evidence to prove it - that leaving the EU would be better for the country. So far I have seen nothing that changes my views, but I will leave it up to the ones who voted to leave to make their own minds up in the coming years.

My thoughts on the EU and their interference in the 5+1 talks I will keep to myself as they are attending as observers only!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 03 Feb 2021 1:34 pm

I agree allowing a divided Cyprus EU entry was a mistake.

The guarantor powers made a bigger mistake when they allowed the Island to fall into a civil war fuelled by xenophobic ethnic cleansing.
Hmm
A little bit of whataboutism from a distant millennium?
waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 02 Feb 2021 12:53 pm

Hmm
1972 in economic terms is a millennium distant.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

can it be because the only "still valid referendum" in cyprus was held in 2004 with approx 2/3rds of the turkish cypriots in favour for the UN Annan plan, a basically "european" solution?

if you "ignore" all "new voters" in the TRNC since then, i would say this did not change a lot. most of the Annan plan still is very attractive for them.

after the referendum, the EU was very very angry with the greek cypriots... but it was, on the other hand, clever to accept membership incl all of the territory of cyprus. it prevented the TCs to "all over the sudden", uups, being a turkish citizen.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Wed 03 Feb 2021 2:07 pm
waz, It's good that you do think it was wrong of the EU to allow a divided country into the club. What are your thoughts now about the EU saying that they will not allow the country to be split into two equal states? After all, if it was wrong to allow the island to enter the EU while it was still divided, it should not now have a say on whether the country remains divided or splits into two autonomous states?
Hello G
I think generally the EU still have major reservations against splitting the Island. Certainly Cyprus and Greece would veto any notion of a division in any form.
The ROC have an uncanny knack of mustering international support for a unified Island under ROC rule.
The EU have said that it is not on the agenda but NOT excluded. This will pacify ROC and Greece but not Turkey who are not EU members but hardly give a fuss given they are the military strength in the region and hold possession.

ROC propaganda and behind the scenes steps ( free ROC European passports) has somewhat succeeded in alienation of Turkish Cypriots from main land Turkey.
Generally the TRNC indigenous love the Turkish hand outs but do not like the influx of mainlanders.
From a UK expat prospective. I see no advantage now in a reunification as there is nothing to gain ( post Brexit) and lots to lose.
I take the view that the status quo suits UK ex pats and most TC's are actually quite content with receiving Turkish handouts.
There has been peace on the island for over 40 yrs and therefore there is little appetite for rocking the boat.
Last edited by waz-24-7 on Wed 03 Feb 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Wed 03 Feb 2021 3:30 pm

but it was, on the other hand, clever to accept membership incl all of the territory of cyprus. it prevented the TCs to "all over the sudden", uups, being a turkish citizen.
Give someone what they want when they don't agree to the terms? Yes very clever. I can see the TCs will welcome the EU as an honest broker in any talks!

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

What the eu says before it enters a meaningful negotiation is 100% nonsense.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Wed 03 Feb 2021 4:13 pm
What the eu says before it enters a meaningful negotiation is 100% nonsense.
I guess you don't have customers or do business in the EU.
I do so I take a rather more reserved approach to how I would like the EU to develop.
I want to maintain my customer base in all regions of the globe so my language toward any regime reflects that.
I don't particularly agree with the Russian Federation position of late but I value the trade.

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Surprise, surprise ha ha ha

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”