Bad news re travelling to or from South

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Bad news re travelling to or from South

Post by Trigger »

erol wrote:
Fri 26 Feb 2021 9:48 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
Fri 26 Feb 2021 3:54 pm
Erol... I never mentioned dictatorship?
And my post was entirely in reaction to a post made that did mention dictatorship, quoted it and is the context within which it should be understood.
Trigger wrote:
Fri 26 Feb 2021 5:27 pm
I think you need to replace the words ‘limit and control’ with the word ‘stop’. Quite a difference in my honest opinion. I can understand restricting residency but to not allow tourists puts the country on the same level as dictatorship and insular states in my opinion.
When I was a kid in the mid to late late 70's or so My TC Cypriot first cousin , must have been aged about 20 then, came to visit us in the UK. As a tourist. He was taken directly from Heathrow airport to a detention centre and held their until my father was able to go there and sign guarantees and he was finally allowed to enter the UK as a tourist. He had committed no crimes. Had his passport been from the right places and not Turkey this would not have happened, Sovereign states have always stopped people from crossing their borders , restricted their freedom of movement within their boarders and across them. The UK included. Still does. They all still do. If doing that is dictatorship then all sovereign states are dictator states.

I am not here to argue. In my opinion and the way I see things there are glaring inconsistencies in what you said. I have tried to explain why I think that. Take it or leave it as you like.
Ok. The point I am making is that it is a bit rubbish to not allow people over a border / into a country based on where they are from.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Fri 26 Feb 2021 11:03 pm
Sorry Erol but your response had my post quoted .....
Not that I can see ?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Trigger wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 4:52 am
Ok. The point I am making is that it is a bit rubbish to not allow people over a border / into a country based on where they are from.
And my point is that every country does this. If you turn up at Heathrow and are from some countries, you will be allowed to enter UK as a tourist. If you come from other countries you will not. This has always been the case. What rights you have to enter the UK or not as a non citizen are defined by 'where you are from'.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

I think the point is that people who would normally be allowed entry for tourism are not being allowed to because they are in fact transiting through to go to trnc.d
that's the prejudice and it clearly exists to cause trnc financial loss. Which adds further fuel to the Greeks Cypriots merely acting out the whole reunification as one big charade with zero intention of allowing a settlement.demonstrabke when all the church came out and told the GCS to down vote the Anna plan. Mind you the opening of Maras is just as incendiary I think we should just leave them to it.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Reyntj wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 7:58 am
I think the point is that people who would normally be allowed entry for tourism are not being allowed to because they are in fact transiting through to go to trnc.d
that's the prejudice and it clearly exists to cause trnc financial loss. Which adds further fuel to the Greeks Cypriots merely acting out the whole reunification as one big charade with zero intention of allowing a settlement.demonstrabke when all the church came out and told the GCS to down vote the Anna plan. Mind you the opening of Maras is just as incendiary I think we should just leave them to it.
Personally I think the point is that the RoC is a sovereign state. As to why they make the choices they do that is to me really not so hard to understand. Nor is it particularly relevant to my point. That is what sovereign means - you can unilaterally makes whatever decision you think is best for you without let or hinderance. The sovereign RoC believes it is best to not allow third country nationals to use the RoC as a transit point for tourism in the north.

It is one thing to believe , on principal, that sovereign states must have total sovereign control over who can come in and and out and through their country. It is, to me, another thing to profess believing in that principal but not when it involves restriction on certain categories of UK citizens and their ability to enter and pass through the sovereign state of the RoC.

zcacmxi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by zcacmxi »

RoC has decided to treat UK / Israeli / Russian nationals differently compared to other passport holders. This is discrimination and unfavorable.

It is up to the governments of these countries to take note. I'm sure easyJet / BA will suffer loss of business too.

Likewise, maybe the Turkish government and TRNC will thank them. Turkish / Pegasus will benefit.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

zcacmxi wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 8:22 am
RoC has decided to treat UK / Israeli / Russian nationals differently compared to other passport holders. This is discrimination and unfavorable.
So the UK should not put any controls on who can enter the UK as tourist based on the nationality of the person trying to enter ? You believe all nationals from all and every country should have exactly the same rights to enter the UK as a tourist or not ? If you are a tourist from Sweden or from Bangladesh , all should be allowed to freely enter the UK as tourists, without restriction ? Or neither should be allowed ?

The UK does exactly the same is the reality I see. Always has. All countries do.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

erol wrote:
Fri 26 Feb 2021 10:11 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 26 Feb 2021 8:27 pm
The ROC passport to most TC's is simply.....
Always cause to be suspicious any time someone starts talking about what 'most' people in a group think or believe, in my book. More so when the person doing that is not even a member of that group themselves.

RoC passports are the right of every person the sovereign state of the RoC claims to be the sole legitimate government of in Cyprus. Why some TC that have such a right as per the constitution and laws of the sovereign state of the RoC chose to take up such passports, or not take them up, are wide and varied and multiple. That's the reality I see.
Yes indeed some Tc's will take up ROC passports with good legitimate intention. Perhaps they support a reunification under the flag of the ROC.
However without doubt many and possibly the majority take up the offer for reasons I have mentioned.
How many Tc's support a reunification under the ROC flag. |There again how many would welcome the Turkish flag and regime onto the Island.
The financial incentive ( Turkish support) for status quo is in my view the commanding force.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

erol wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 8:32 am
zcacmxi wrote:
So the UK should not put any controls on who can enter the UK as tourist based on the nationality of the person trying to enter ? You believe all nationals from all and every country should have exactly the same rights to enter the UK as a tourist or not ? If you are a tourist from Sweden or from Bangladesh , all should be allowed to freely enter the UK as tourists, without restriction ? Or neither should be allowed ?

The UK does exactly the same is the reality I see. Always has. All countries do.
Yes , Indeed.
The difference of course is that the UK surrendered its EU privileges under public vote.
I still believe many UK citizens considered that there would be no change to their offshore lives and travel.
After all we are part of the British empire!! What a privilege....that was.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Geoff1131 »

I suppose it will come down to a question all people from the UK especially will have to ask themselves. Would i rather be still inside the EU so that i could come and go in Cyprus as i have been able to ?. Or am i ok with the fact that now my travel arrangements might have to be altered and make my journeys into and out of TRNC through Ercan? For other nationals they will have to make a similar choice, do i continue to visit Cyprus knowing that i will be hindered if i wish to visit TRNC ? or do i make other travel arrangements?

As far as i am concerned i dont go to the South much, so will not miss it. I would rather be outside the EU than be allowed transit through one of their partner countries.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 9:45 am
I suppose it will come down to a question all people from the UK especially will have to ask themselves. Would i rather be still inside the EU so that i could come and go in Cyprus as i have been able to ?. Or am i ok with the fact that now my travel arrangements might have to be altered and make my journeys into and out of TRNC through Ercan? For other nationals they will have to make a similar choice, do i continue to visit Cyprus knowing that i will be hindered if i wish to visit TRNC ? or do i make other travel arrangements?

As far as i am concerned i dont go to the South much, so will not miss it. I would rather be outside the EU than be allowed transit through one of their partner countries.
Yes.
It is for each to make best and revised plans based upon individual aspirations and circumstances.
Certainly UK visitors to TRNC are generally adversely effected with less choice leading to higher prices.
I think the days of £30 travel to Larnaca or Paphos are over.

I am now able to commence provisional plans for a visit to Cyprus after 13 months exclusion. I will alter my usual itinerary to exclude the ROC and travel via Turkey. Not done that rote for more than 10 yrs.
I guess most will also alter plans similarly. How that pans out financially and time cost; that is yet to be determined.
For the longer term. Ill see how that pads out too.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Geoff1131 wrote:
:+1:)

(and not a hint of its all the nasty evil GC)

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Walesforever »

Waz

Why do you ALWAYS have to try and turn every subject into a negative Brexit opinion?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 9:24 am
Yes indeed some Tc's will take up ROC passports with good legitimate intention.
I find the expression 'good legitimate intention' jarring ?

I do not know how to accurately summarise TC as a monolithic block on such an issue. What I do know with certainty is that for not one single individual TC was the decision 'singular'. The personal advantages of such a passport would have been a factor to every TC but for each the degree to which this balances with and against what range of other factors and in what ways is unique. Can only be unique.

Generalisation is necessary but there are times when its use does not help imo. I think this is one of them is all.

zcacmxi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by zcacmxi »

erol wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 8:32 am
zcacmxi wrote:
Yes, exactly. Usually countries agree to deal with each other; ultimately a list of friends who they treat nicely and others who they put obstacles in the way of. Usually in the interests of trade / economics, even 'foes' make reciprocal agreements and treat each others nationals nicely..

As is already observed over decades, does UK/EU care enough about < 1Million Turkish Cypriots to ruffle Greek feathers? They will care even less about the < 100K UK Nationals who want to cross the border.

The stop over in Turkey with change of aircraft is inconvenient.. But we can hope that the additional passengers to Ercan will make more flights viable and we'll see improvements there (as well as the inevitable increase in prices as competition is removed).

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

erol wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 10:02 am
Geoff1131 wrote:
:+1:)

(and not a hint of its all the nasty evil GC)
Yes. ALL UK citizens that wish to visit Cyprus especially TRNC must think about the level of hassle involved. This applies to old time visitors like Posh but possibly more importantly to New UK blood that would like to visit and or possibly relocate to.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Walesforever wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 10:25 am
Waz

Why do you ALWAYS have to try and turn every subject into a negative Brexit opinion?
This is not about Brexit. That is done.
This is about dealing with a series of issues that may or may not be as a result of an EU exit.

You are invited ,of course, to present your positive take upon visiting Cyprus in the future and how you can encourage new UK visitors.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

erol wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 10:33 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 9:24 am
Yes indeed some Tc's will take up ROC passports with good legitimate intention.
I find the expression 'good legitimate intention' jarring ?

I do not know how to accurately summarise TC as a monolithic block on such an issue. What I do know with certainty is that for not one single individual TC was the decision 'singular'. The personal advantages of such a passport would have been a factor to every TC but for each the degree to which this balances with and against what range of other factors and in what ways is unique. Can only be unique.

Generalisation is necessary but there are times when its use does not help imo. I think this is one of them is all.
They key point of note is that holding a EU passport is indeed advantageous. Are there other reasons outside of that why TC's would want to take up the ROC offer. That is , yes, an individual position and the ROC will certainly not ask such questions.

zcacmxi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by zcacmxi »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 12:53 pm
They key point of note is that holding a EU passport is indeed advantageous.
RoC have indeed made it advantageous to hold an EU passport over a British passport for the purpose of crossing the border in Cyprus.

UK could take retaliatory action to force a rethink, as it has threatened to do already in cases of UK Shellfish vs European Mineral Water, etc.. I'm sure one phone call with a threat to recognise the TRNC and authorise direct flights to Ercan would focus minds, but as I say, who cares for the minority?

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

https://haberkibris.com/ertugruloglu-re ... -27_m.html

Some further politics here regarding the matter needs translating

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

zcacmxi wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 1:20 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 12:53 pm
They key point of note is that holding a EU passport is indeed advantageous.
RoC have indeed made it advantageous to hold an EU passport over a British passport for the purpose of crossing the border in Cyprus.

UK could take retaliatory action to force a rethink, as it has threatened to do already in cases of UK Shellfish vs European Mineral Water, etc.. I'm sure one phone call with a threat to recognise the TRNC and authorise direct flights to Ercan would focus minds, but as I say, who cares for the minority?
Yes the UK Government could retaliate. Very unlikely. It is too trivial a matter and the response would simply be. Hey you chose to leave the Union.
The UK will not go against international law upon direct flights. Again its just not important particularly as peace prevails on the Island and the UK holds its sovereign military bases.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Can anyone confirm that the information contained in the original post has been verified as correct?

Unless I have missed something all I have seen is internet news clips, political words and a lot of discussion, none of which can be confirmed as official policy.

If the original post is going to be ROC policy for the long term there is little we can do to make them change there mind. Time to adapt and make plans accordingly.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wanderer »

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

wanderer wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 12:36 am
https://www.lgcnews.com/problem-for-bri ... be-solved/ also in Kibris
Plus cyprus today
https://northcyprusfreepress.com/north- ... uary-2021/
There's a lot of smoke
A lot of smoke from the press which could well contain an element of truth. However; we all know how the press operate, they need to sell newspapers.

Will remain just a little sceptical and look out for an official verified statement or announcement.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

eastendjoker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by eastendjoker »

Due to not being able to travel to our place last year we flew to Antalya had a week there then went to Sidi and Kas for the rest of the month and returned to Antalya for a few nights before travelling back to the UK at the end of October ,thoroughly enjoyed the change .
This year we have a flight booked to Antalya again in early September and intend to stay 3 nights and either bus it down the coast and get the ferry over or a short hop flight from Antalya .

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by thornaby »

Antalya is a beautiful place!

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 11:58 pm
Can anyone confirm that the information contained in the original post has been verified as correct?

Unless I have missed something all I have seen is internet news clips, political words and a lot of discussion, none of which can be confirmed as official policy.

If the original post is going to be ROC policy for the long term there is little we can do to make them change there mind. Time to adapt and make plans accordingly.
Posh
You could always write a polite letter to the ROC administration.
Hi
I'm a UK citizen. I love Cyprus. I enjoy my holidays in the "occupied territories". However I decided that I no longer want to have close ties with you via our long standing Union. I sill want to be friends because of my history on the Island. Would you please allow me to continue to use your facilities such as airports, supermarkets and perhaps skiing on the mountains in your part of the Island.?
I understand that I no longer have rights of entry or passage onto Cyprus but I hope the UK will sort a special deal with you so I can still visit and enjoy your Island. I will also write to our Mr Johnson and ask he works on a special deal with you without delay

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Dalartokat »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:30 am
PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 27 Feb 2021 11:58 pm

Posh
You could always write a polite letter to the ROC administration.
Hi
I'm a UK citizen. I love Cyprus. I enjoy my holidays in the "occupied territories". However I decided that I no longer want to have
close ties with you via our long standing Union. I sill want to be friends because of my history on the Island. Would you please allow me to continue to use your facilities such as airports, supermarkets and perhaps skiing on the mountains in your part of the Island.?
I understand that I no longer have rights of entry or passage onto Cyprus but I hope the UK will sort a special deal with you so I can still visit and enjoy your Island. I will also write to our Mr Johnson and ask he works on a special deal with you without delay

Now your being childish.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

As it seems to me.

None of this is new with regards to Israeli nationals and some others. As ever in Cyprus what the 'rules' may be 'de jure' and how things are implemented in practice are neither the same thing nor a static target. Before covid and before any changes of rules the RoC did refuse entry to some Israeli tourist in to the RoC itself on the basis that they were to then subsequently cross to the north. The 'strategy' back then, it seemed to me, was to just stop enough people to disrupt package deals to north that used transit via the south but not to stop everyone doing such. I do not think we will really know how this is going to pan out until people try and either do or do not get stopped , pretty much regardless of what new laws or regulations or implementations turn out to be if any.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Dalartokat wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:40 am
Now your being childish.
FWIW it seemed like sarcasm to me.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Sarcastic or childish... Possibly.
Did some people not see this coming because that is incompetence that has inflicted damage on the unwilling.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

erol wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:45 am
As it seems to me.

None of this is new with regards to Israeli nationals and some others. As ever in Cyprus what the 'rules' may be 'de jure' and how things are implemented in practice are neither the same thing nor a static target. Before covid and before any changes of rules the RoC did refuse entry to some Israeli tourist in to the RoC itself on the basis that they were to then subsequently cross to the north. The 'strategy' back then, it seemed to me, was to just stop enough people to disrupt package deals to north that used transit via the south but not to stop everyone doing such. I do not think we will really know how this is going to pan out until people try and either do or do not get stopped , pretty much regardless of what new laws or regulations or implementations turn out to be if any.
Yes. This is very true.
However. The UK citizen as opposed to an Israeli had rights of passage and entry and has forfeited those rights. Israel does not.
The new ex EU vulnerability is something that the ROC will capitalise upon and seek maximum advantage in order to disadvantage further the TRNC.
Maximum exposure and sabre rattling will assist the ROC in the long game of hindrance and opposition. A press coverage campaign is very likely on the agenda.

Certainly, to an extent it is working given this discussion. UK visitors to the TRNC will be negatively impacted. Turkish tourism will benefit and the ROC may also very slightly. Ultimately I think UK visitors will decline, the UK ex pat communities will follow and other easier safer havens will rise in popularity.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Chriswright03 »

german-chancellor-angela-merkel-hits-the-big-drum-at-the-literature-DAD820.jpg
Perhaps Waz you could write to this lady and ask if you can borrow her big drum when she has finished.

Or possibly you could just get over the fact that some of us made a choice and are happy to deal with whatever is thrown our way because of that choice.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 10:54 am

Perhaps Waz you could write to this lady and ask if you can borrow her big drum when she has finished.

Or possibly you could just get over the fact that some of us made a choice and are happy to deal with whatever is thrown our way because of that choice.
Why on earth would I want that drum?

I'm well over the fact choices were made I ,and most, are now dealing with the difficulties thrust upon us.
This one discussion is clearly about one of the issues that is effecting Cyprus.
I guess this discussion is of interest to you too. If so, likewise, deal with it, contribute , or bury your head in the sand.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 11:15 am
Chriswright03 wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 10:54 am

Why on earth would I want that drum?

I'm well over the fact choices were made I ,and most, are now dealing with the difficulties thrust upon us.
This one discussion is clearly about one of the issues that is effecting Cyprus.
I guess this discussion is of interest to you too. If so, likewise, deal with it, contribute if you're inclined to , or bury your head in the sand.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by thornaby »

Waz, there's nothing so bitter as a remoaner, yes you!

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Geoff1131 »

Waz, you do go on a bit!!!!!!! I think you will find that the majority of people will accept the fact that they can no longer use the south as a place where they can fly into and then cross the ' border ' into the north. It really is no big deal. People who wish to visit the north will find a way. There are lots of problems in life that you come across that have to be either accepted or overcome. This is just another one. You make it sound as if it is the end of the world, that people will not be able to come through the south. It isn't. I have already told family and friends who wish to come out, to arrange to come through Ercan and do you know, not one of them has moaned about it as much as you have moaned about the fact that ' we have lost the freedom of movement ' We have two choices. 1. Do not bother coming to Cyprus. or 2. Make other arrangements, simple.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 11:42 am
Waz, you do go on a bit!!!!!!! I think you will find that the majority of people will accept the fact that they can no longer use the south as a place where they can fly into and then cross the ' border ' into the north. It really is no big deal. People who wish to visit the north will find a way. There are lots of problems in life that you come across that have to be either accepted or overcome. This is just another one. You make it sound as if it is the end of the world, that people will not be able to come through the south. It isn't. I have already told family and friends who wish to come out, to arrange to come through Ercan and do you know, not one of them has moaned about it as much as you have moaned about the fact that ' we have lost the freedom of movement ' We have two choices. 1. Do not bother coming to Cyprus. or 2. Make other arrangements, simple.
Well summed up.

Life throws up challenges both big and small. In the grand scheme of things this really is just a very small challenge and one that the vast majority will easily overcome.

There is no point in getting all excitable about these latest rumours which may or may not be true.

Waz- You have said you travel all over the world, so I am struggling to understand why you keep going on about how difficult travel to and from the TRNC will be. I have certainly visited many countries where often flight connectivity can be very difficult and entry rules have you jumping thro many hoops and often paying out for some bit of paperwork. None of it was impossible, just takes a little bit of sensible planning.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hedge-fund »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 10:15 am
erol wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:45 am
As it seems to me.

Yes. This is very true.
However. The UK citizen as opposed to an Israeli had rights of passage and entry and has forfeited those rights. Israel does not.
The new ex EU vulnerability is something that the ROC will capitalise upon and seek maximum advantage in order to disadvantage further the TRNC.
Maximum exposure and sabre rattling will assist the ROC in the long game of hindrance and opposition. A press coverage campaign is very likely on the agenda.

Certainly, to an extent it is working given this discussion. UK visitors to the TRNC will be negatively impacted. Turkish tourism will benefit and the ROC may also very slightly. Ultimately I think UK visitors will decline, the UK ex pat communities will follow and other easier safer havens will rise in popularity.
Again the use of the word forfieted - third time so obviously deliberate attempt at trolling.

Nothing has been forfeited - a democratic vote was had and the UK fairly decided to leave the eu. The end of free movement was a major factor in the vote leave victory.

Simply fighting lost brexit battles in the guise of whatever is in the news at the moment is pointless.

It's like watching a dog chasing its tail - entertaining for a while but after a time you start to wonder if the dog is doing itself some harm.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Dalartokat »

This was posted on Facebook so I looked for it myself and this it. Not sure what it means, maybe having a bit of a tidy up.

https://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/cust ... enDocument
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brazen »

I believe that most of us, whether a remainer or leaver, expected that it would be made more difficult for us to travel via the south. I did, and it made no difference to my brexit vote. To me there were far more important reasons to vote for Brexit than just ease of travel or being able to shop at IKEA. Most of us who have been here for any length of time remember that until 2004 there was no choice other than to fly via Ercan and we still came and many of us stayed.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hector »

Since the very early 2000's we used to fly CTA from the UK to Ercan with the 1 hour touchdown in Turkey before the sad demise of CTA. It wasn't the most comfortable of flights, I always seemed to get the seat with my backside resting on the metal frame and the flight crew who were doing you a favour by even talking to you.

Once CTA had collapsed (don't understand why, can't have been because their pilots and crew were the highest paid in the industry and there were far more ground staff per aircraft than any other airline) we switched to Larnaca and paid for a NC taxi to come and pick us up. All very convenient, more comfortable and quicker. No problem crossing the border with NC 90 day visas (or after over 65) and we spent several months a year at our villa and put a lot of money into the local economy. We also liked shopping in the south and visiting our friends there.

Things started to go wrong with the 2019 introduction of having to obtain NC residency visas if we want to stay more more than 30 days and 90 +in 180. We decided, having read and heard of peoples negative experiences that we did not want to go through the onerous and unpleasant system of getting the visas and also having to have to repeat every one or 2 years. We would just keep our visits to 28 days and keep within the 90/180 day limits for either side of the border.

Now we have the south allegedly stopping us using Larnaca and forcing us to use Ercan. The flights via Turkey will be inconvenient, take a lot longer and cost more.

It appears to us that neither side in Cyprus want us to visit and thus the next visit, Covid restrictions allowing, will sadly be to put our villa on the market. This is not a threat unfortunately, just a statement of fact. After that, visits will be restricted to coming to enable the sale of our villa if and when it does. Seems to us to be a lose, lose, lose for us, NC & RoC. Funny old world.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Okay,
The issue is at least more clear for people to take a more enlightened position and therefore hopefully deal with it.
If people take exception to being better informed combined with hearing of opinions of others including myself then that is OK.

If some chose to ignore , live in hope, fail to prepare or make arrangements then that too is okay
If some wish to focus on irrelevant trivia such as "re moan " "forfeited" "tail chasing". Then do take comfort from your comments.

If the position is shown to be far different than my comments suggest ; then hey I was wrong. No big deal.

Hector has summed up a very valid position and many I feel will re align to the new unknown. I see no quick fix but a long drawn out and not good level of uncertainty similar to what we saw when the Oram's legal case was headlines.

Posh
Yes travel is part of my job. Most travel outside of Europe has involved some arranging, visa applications and often delays at borders , customs etc. The unique set of circumstances and the delicate nature of politics upon Cyprus make travelling to Cyprus quite unique.
The UK in particular has moved from a state of Cyprus travel and passage equilibrium to one of uncertainty This was always on the cards in my view and the Brexit / Cyprus issue was always going to bring some negatives for people like you and I. How bad that becomes, like you, we'll wait and see.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

Brazen wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 3:43 pm
I believe that most of us, whether a remainer or leaver, expected that it would be made more difficult for us to travel via the south. I did, and it made no difference to my brexit vote. To me there were far more important reasons to vote for Brexit than just ease of travel or being able to shop at IKEA. Most of us who have been here for any length of time remember that until 2004 there was no choice other than to fly via Ercan and we still came and many of us stayed.
Well said Brazen, we have been coming to TRNC since 2000, and so were happy to go with the stopover arrangements in Turkey. Yes, CTA and Pegasus were good options as we did not have to change planes, I remember one time with CTA flying straight through and getting here early. At the end of the day it seems to me we will just be back to what it was in 2003/2004 before the borders were opened. It depends how much you love the place, fact is we live here permanently, and yes, have always done residency, no big deal. We have never used Larnaca or Paphos to get here, always Turkish Airlines now, which actually is not that much more expensive than the so called budget airlines to the South, once you add on all the add ons..... people just love to quote how cheap they got the flight but don't bother to say, oh by the way it was x for luggage, x for food and drink, x for transfers........ We prefer to fly to Ercan and give support to the country/republic that we love. Its a shame because we actually used to like visiting the villages in the South, Omodos, Kako Petria, Platres, Troodos, etc etc, well, they will lose out through the South's petulance. Not bothered about shopping, we can get everything we want in the North. I do not have a craving for Ikea, Hovis bread (lol), but appreciate what we have, so, nothing really changes for us.... except we cannot pop over to our favourite restaurants in the villages in the South and give them a bit of much needed trade. Rearrange these words...... foot, themselves, in, shot........

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 4:05 pm
Okay,
The issue is at least more clear for people to take a more enlightened position and therefore hopefully deal with it.
If people take exception to being better informed combined with hearing of opinions of others including myself then that is OK.

If some chose to ignore , live in hope, fail to prepare or make arrangements then that too is okay
If some wish to focus on irrelevant trivia such as "re moan " "forfeited" "tail chasing". Then do take comfort from your comments.

If the position is shown to be far different than my comments suggest ; then hey I was wrong. No big deal.

Hector has summed up a very valid position and many I feel will re align to the new unknown. I see no quick fix but a long drawn out and not good level of uncertainty similar to what we saw when the Oram's legal case was headlines.

Posh
Yes travel is part of my job. Most travel outside of Europe has involved some arranging, visa applications and often delays at borders , customs etc. The unique set of circumstances and the delicate nature of politics upon Cyprus make travelling to Cyprus quite unique.
The UK in particular has moved from a state of Cyprus travel and passage equilibrium to one of uncertainty This was always on the cards in my view and the Brexit / Cyprus issue was always going to bring some negatives for people like you and I. How bad that becomes, like you, we'll wait and see.
Unique?? In what way??

It certainly isn’t difficult to travel to Cyprus either north or south. The only thing that may “possibly” have changed but as yet not confirmed is transiting from the ROC to the TRNC and vice versa.

I can understand the reasons that for a few it isn’t what they would necessarily choose but it really is not that difficult. I would suggest that for the majority if restrictions are imposed we will just get on with it.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

mrsgee wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 5:26 pm
Brazen wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 3:43 pm
Well said Brazen, we have been coming to TRNC since 2000, and so were happy to go with the stopover arrangements in Turkey. Yes, CTA and Pegasus were good options as we did not have to change planes, I remember one time with CTA flying straight through and getting here early. At the end of the day it seems to me we will just be back to what it was in 2003/2004 before the borders were opened. It depends how much you love the place, fact is we live here permanently, and yes, have always done residency, no big deal. We have never used Larnaca or Paphos to get here, always Turkish Airlines now, which actually is not that much more expensive than the so called budget airlines to the South, once you add on all the add ons..... people just love to quote how cheap they got the flight but don't bother to say, oh by the way it was x for luggage, x for food and drink, x for transfers........ We prefer to fly to Ercan and give support to the country/republic that we love. Its a shame because we actually used to like visiting the villages in the South, Omodos, Kako Petria, Platres, Troodos, etc etc, well, they will lose out through the South's petulance. Not bothered about shopping, we can get everything we want in the North. I do not have a craving for Ikea, Hovis bread (lol), but appreciate what we have, so, nothing really changes for us.... except we cannot pop over to our favourite restaurants in the villages in the South and give them a bit of much needed trade. Rearrange these words...... foot, themselves, in, shot........
Again agree.

The only real loss for us would be not being able to cross to the ROC and revisit old haunts and possibly stay a night or two. So be it.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

The Cyprus equilibrium is some what unique for several reasons.
The island is for a long time divided politically and geographically . The North is an "occupied region unrecognised by most. A UN peacekeeping force remains in place in order to maintain peace and to broker and monitor developments towards a resolution for the differing factions and administrations and of course the ethnic populations.
Cyprus is within the EU and so there is some (not enough) level of focus upon securing a reunification OR other solution to the "Cyprus problem". A divided state with significant unresolved problem is not good for business or stability.

It is very clear that most, including ex pats have rather little interest or desire to see a resolution. Peace prevails, the UN presence is hardly noticeable and life seems quite hunky dory for most.
It is clear that most posters on this topic are seasoned Cyprus vets and are very well equipped and ready to adjust.
However
The departure of the UK from the Union , including Cyprus upsets a particular and specific equilibrium. This is what I believe is unique and we are now experiencing some outfall. It is unique to UK citizens as non Europeans. It is new UK input and blood that may well dwindle.

Yes those ex pats currently on the Island will by enlarge get on with it until such time it may become untenable and or difficult and other regions such as mainland Turkey become possibly more attractive. You pay yore money and take your choice of course. I expect however a decline in UK visitors and investors to the TRNC as the new uncertainty however small can sway holiday and or ex pat decisions.
Last edited by waz-24-7 on Sun 28 Feb 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

Waz I really think you need to stop regurgitating the same old same old. We, well, the vast majority of us in this debate fully understand the situation here and accept it for what it is. What exactly is your problem? You are like a terrier... bark bark bark .. you do not need to keep restating your views nor indeed facts.. we know them and accept life as it is . Actually mainland Turkey is very attractive to us and if it were not for the fact the at the time we were looking it was not possible for foreigners to buy in Turkey then that was possibly where we would be now. I am off to sleep now because my equilibrium is upset, oh and by the way the term is by and large, not by enlarge which would actually have a totally different but maybe interesting meaning.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

mrsgee wrote:
Sun 28 Feb 2021 6:53 pm
Waz I really think you need to stop regurgitating the same old same old. We, well, the vast majority of us in this debate fully understand the situation here and accept it for what it is. What exactly is your problem? You are like a terrier... bark bark bark .. you do not need to keep restating your views nor indeed facts.. we know them and accept life as it is . Actually mainland Turkey is very attractive to us and if it were not for the fact the at the time we were looking it was not possible for foreigners to buy in Turkey then that was possibly where we would be now. I am off to sleep now because my equilibrium is upset, oh and by the way the term is by and large, not by enlarge which would actually have a totally different but maybe interesting meaning.
Thank you.
I have responded to a question posed. What is Unique about the Cyprus Issue?
I don't believe I have responded to that question previously.

Of course you are clearly a Cyprus vet than can deal with the possible changes without great concern. That's a positive for you. However there will be many who do not have you're longstanding experience and knowledge. (5,000 plus viewings of the topic indicate a high level of interest.)

Some, of course, particularly new blood may take a different view. Particularly when they may consider holiday destinations and or follow you to offshore living.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

RRe: Bad news re travelling to or from South

Post by mrsgee »

Waz yes as they say horses for course's and we all have choices in life.... and of course opinions but sometimes it is right to look at options, stop bleating about what is or is not the case, and take whatever option suits without the constant negatives about brexit thank you and goodnight, iyi aksamlar

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”