Bad news re travelling to or from South

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Bad news re travelling to or from South

Post by forestpixie »

https://www.giynikgazetesi.com/guney-ki ... ey-yasagi/

Just translated via Chrome. No more travel from March

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Bad news re travelling to or from South

Post by waddo »

Bad news for swallows and tourists who always used the Southern airports. Hope it is mentioned during the 5+1 in April. Just wonder if it will affect the non-SBA crossing points as well?
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by forestpixie »

It is all crossing points

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Will await further details but if this is the case, so be it.

We used both Ercan and Larnaca as our ports of entry when travelling to the TRNC. If the ROC prevent travel via Larnaca no matter. Will miss our trips and occasional stays across to the south but if they don’t want our money then fine with us.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Jonnie »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sun 21 Feb 2021 2:41 pm

We used both Ercan and Larnaca as our ports of entry when travelling to the TRNC. If the ROC prevent travel via Larnaca no matter. Will miss our trips and occasional stays across to the south but if they don’t want our money then fine with us.
Totally agree and if nothing else it strengthens the case for direct flights.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by forestpixie »

Not good for tourists, I have many patients waiting for the border to open as they prefer the ease. Likewise for me its easier to reach Gatwick which is closer to home.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mr Mac »

Cut nose to spite face comes to mind. Even if you transited through you are still paying ROC air fares and buying stuff at the airport aren’t you!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Trigger »

We like being able to fly into the south as it is more convenient for us, however, we will just fly via Ercan now. We are young enough, so it isn’t an issue.

Shame, as we enjoy exploring the south as much as the north and have friends down there, but there you go, it is out of our control.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

I think it’s important to wait and get the full verified facts because as we all know sometimes newspapers don’t always get the information correct.

Whilst I presume all Cypriots can travel/cross the border, it appears that others cannot. Again much more detailed information required.

I doubt very much if this move will make any difference to the “direct” flights campaign. It is very likely that travel to Ercan will still require a stop at an airport in Turkey before onward travel.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by forestpixie »

Mr Mac wrote:
Sun 21 Feb 2021 3:29 pm
Cut nose to spite face comes to mind. Even if you transited through you are still paying ROC air fares and buying stuff at the airport aren’t you!
Everyone is different, return taxi fayre Gatwick to Kent much cheaper than Stansted to Kent. What suits one doesnt suit another.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by 13roman58 »

Might as well close the insurance booths at Metahan.
I wonder what impact if any it will have on shops in the south?
Does anyone know the figures for tourists flying into the south to come north. All my family and friends!
I believe it is a bargaining chip but it will blow up in their faces as I believe that it will show up in the negotiations that they have no desire to allow TRNC to prosper and with the stated help from Turkey CLOSE THE BORDER COMPLETELY!!!

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

It is technically legal to have 'non-stop' flights from the UK to Ercan. Airplane leaves UK to Izmir, descends to 1000metres above the runway, does a flyby and then ascends to cruising height to Ercan. 1000metres above the runway is deemed to have landed. However, I do not think THY would entertain such an idea but a new 'CTA' may well consider it, or should! The cost of fuel will be higher by descending and ascending but a small price to pay for the time saved & convenience and the boarding card could read 'Izmir-Plus'.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by 13roman58 »

Maybe time for a reduction in price for the flights out of Ercan, possibly financed by government via Turkey.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Trigger »

Could be fake news according to a fb group that my wife is a member of.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by benjaminbutton »

Re possible fake news. I've been trying to discover a date on the "paper" and on the "poster".

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by frugal90 »

could somebody explain how they could stop you travelling north, surely the problem would be re-admission when headed back south?

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Jonnie »

frugal90 wrote:
Sun 21 Feb 2021 5:32 pm
could somebody explain how they could stop you travelling north, surely the problem would be re-admission when headed back south?

Well if they don't let you back in your visa for the South would ultimately run out and penalties would be involved.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by benjaminbutton »

Just been reading LGCNews and it says South Cyprus will REOPEN its airports using a colour coded health risk assessment as of 1st MARCH and arrangements made for third party countries including England and other EU countries to facilitate the arrival of tourists to the South of the island. Not the same as the first message is it???

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

It says south not north I think that's a the main difference . I.e. everybody welcome to the south but Jimmy and Pavlov won't be allowed north

boothstownred
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by boothstownred »

So basically they are closing the borders

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

One thing that strikes me is that they are allowing UK residents to cross. So it's clear they are willing to bend the rules here for their financial gain so that expats living in the north will travel to the south to shop. So if they are claiming they are following some rules as we all know it's evidence they are just causing mischief.

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by steveodp »

The BRS and others are trying to confirm this as it appears to be all from one source. Apparently SBA staff are not aware of it either. At the moment it should be taken with a pinch of salt...

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

https://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/cust ... BF002D0A28?

The most recent amendments to the green line show nothing about any third party changes . Also in 2019 they voted to make amendments to prevent third party nationals crossing to prevent immigration but it would not prevent third country tourists from Crossings. This previous action indicates they need to change the law and I can't see any evidence they have done so. But I don't know what the green line docs say so I'm guessing . On balance is k guessing it's b.s. but then it wouldn't surprise me if they had just ignored the law 😤 n response to maras

I reckon the leaflet is real but relates to the covid restrictions put in place last year.

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by ljarvo »

I was guilty in sending this onto a few friends earlier when I should have waited

It could be fake news ... there is no official government announcement from either side

And really why would they want to do this when they have the forthcoming meeting planned to held in Geneva

Anyway if it is true I am off!....

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:

Hello Posh
You will be aware of my position on this.
Of course its no big deal for your own travel arrangements.
However its not all about you.

UK holidaymakers and tourism to the TRNC via Larnaca and Paphos will be negatively impacted.
Generally access to the TRNC will become even more restricted and the consequences should be clear.
Less availability means higher prices.

I will re align my travel plans but certainly the increased difficulty is not accepted lightly.
I have , as many further north in the UK , have used Larnaca for many years as the more convenient option.
Some will give up and depart. That is a real shame for all concerned.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hedge-fund »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 21 Feb 2021 11:58 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

Hello Posh

UK holidaymakers and tourism to the TRNC via Larnaca and Paphos will be negatively impacted.
Generally access to the TRNC will become even more restricted and the consequences should be clear.

I will re align my travel plans but certainly the increased difficulty is not accepted lightly.
I have , as many further north in the UK , have used Larnaca for many years as the more convenient option.
I think it's wise not to decide until the facts are clear.

Project fear has a history of failure so let's just wait until an official announcement is made.

I'll stick my neck out and say it's nonsense.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mimi2 »

Seems to be fake news

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Deniz1 »

FAKE NEWS!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:

Hello Posh

Firstly I find your post to be a little inflammatory but that’s par for the course. I also refuse to be drawn into turning this topic into a Brexit discussion which I know you would love to do.

I have always said that we used airports in both the TRNC and the ROC when travelling depending on cost, convenience and scheduling. Many I am sure do the same.

As far as convenience is concerned, the real convenience of flying into a ROC airport is cost ( likely cheaper), increased choice of airline and number of flights. I would suggest most of the time it’s often cost and total travel time which heavily influences the decision. Plus of course there is also the fact that the flight is direct which many prefer. I understand this.

Of course travelling to the TRNC not using a ROC airport requires more thought and planning however it is not impossible. Depending on the time of year there are flights from Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, Gatwick and Heathrow using Turkish Airlines. There is also the option of flying from Stansted using Pegasus. If cost were the prime concern there is the option to use budget airlines such as EasyJet to a Turkish airport and then a cheap flight from Turkey. All is very doable and with careful planning total travel time is often not that much different given a shorter transfer time from Ercan compared to Larnaca.

Of course this latest move, if it is genuine is an inconvenience and typical of the often knee jerk reactions of the ROC. However; before getting to excited I think caution is the word. This latest move needs to be verified and confirmed by official sources. This has yet to happen.

There will be an impact on the TRNC if this move is found to be true, however for those of us that are passionate about the place we will always adapt and continue to visit.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Chriswright03 »

waz-24-7 wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:

Hello Posh

How arrogant. It isn't all about you either.

EDIT: Apologies Posh never saw your post.

Bowman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Bowman »

Let’s all panic

Or should we look at the notice.

Oh the logo on the top left hand corner is not the Republic of Cyprus but the UK. Also it only talking about re-entry to the RoC via the SBA.

But still it’s better to spread false or unsubstantiated information.

Have a good day Mike Turner

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Reyntj »

Posh was clearly just stating his position. Im similar to him in his thoughts. Some people seem to want to have a row or conflict and it's uncalled for. Sure things effect people to in different ways but posh isn't some white knight defender of the people he's just a bloke saying how things effect him

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hedge-fund »

Reyntj wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 12:50 pm
Posh was clearly just stating his position. Im similar to him in his thoughts. Some people seem to want to have a row or conflict and it's uncalled for. Sure things effect people to in different ways but posh isn't some white knight defender of the people he's just a bloke saying how things effect him
I think the term is keyboard warrior.

If some of this was said face to face one or two posters - well one - would be picking a window through which to be ejected from the establishment.

Opinions can be exchanged without sneering, condescension, pontification, sermonising, demonising and being plain rude.

wrymouth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wrymouth »

I am fully on PoshinDevon's side.

My family and I have been travelling to the North since 1980. We usually come 3 times a year and have always used THY or CTA into Ercan. We would not contemplate travelling by any other routing. Those who use Larnaca or Paphos to come to the TRNC should be mindful that they are putting money into the coffers of a regime whose treatment of the Turkish Cypriots has been shameful.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Jonnie »

If th3ere is any truth it may bolster efforts for direct flights and likely open more flight slots etc. I have never had a problem using Ercan TBH but it is not all about me :-) :-)

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by terry2366 »

Maybe a good idea to get the facts checked first before all the toys chucked from the various proms. So much anguish over something that may just be false news. If it is true I'm sure we'll manage to go on living as us Brits are a dab hand at finding a way round things.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 1:27 pm
Reyntj wrote:

If some of this was said face to face one or two posters - well one - would be picking a window through which to be ejected from the establishment.

Opinions can be exchanged without sneering, condescension, pontification, sermonising, demonising and being plain rude.
Not sure who your comment is aimed at.

All I have tried to do is firstly urge caution, as the information posted whilst done in good faith has not been officially confirmed.

Secondly if this move by the ROC is verified it will impact on those travelling and also to the TRNC tourist industry. However; there are still good options to travel to the TRNC via a number of U.K. airports. Whilst it may not work for some, others may not be aware of all the options hence my highlighting them.

As others have mentioned, my view is that if you are passionate about the TRNC then a way will be found to travel. To sit back and moan, blame Brexit, the ROC authorities etc is certainly not going to make any difference. As for the TRNC tourist industry, it has grown from nothing and has always had many barriers put in its way, but it is nothing if not resilient.

As yet there is nothing officially confirming the original post.

wrymouth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wrymouth »

Just in case anybody feels I am unfairly criticising the regime in the south I wanted to add that I first came to this Island in Feb 1966 and stayed just over 3 years. During that time I saw at first hand what was being done to the Turkish Cypriot minority and was appalled. This was the beginning of 3 important changes for me. Firstly, I made several good friends amongst the Turkish Cypriot community especially in Limassol where I lived; some of them are still alive and we are still good friends. Secondly, I became increasingly aware that what newspapers print and what you have seen with your own eyes are not always the same. Finally, and thanks largely to the first two, I began to take a much greater interest in the politics of the Eastern Mediterranean.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brazen »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 6:21 pm
Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 1:27 pm
Reyntj wrote:

Not sure who your comment is aimed at.

All I have tried to do is firstly urge caution, as the information posted whilst done in good faith has not been officially confirmed.

Secondly if this move by the ROC is verified it will impact on those travelling and also to the TRNC tourist industry. However; there are still good options to travel to the TRNC via a number of U.K. airports. Whilst it may not work for some, others may not be aware of all the options hence my highlighting them.

As others have mentioned, my view is that if you are passionate about the TRNC then a way will be found to travel. To sit back and moan, blame Brexit, the ROC authorities etc is certainly not going to make any difference. As for the TRNC tourist industry, it has grown from nothing and has always had many barriers put in its way, but it is nothing if not resilient.

As yet there is nothing officially confirming the original post.
👍👍👍

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

I think the topic heading. "Bad news re travelling to or from South" is self explanatory.
Clearly to some the possible news is of no consequence.
To others, if it is true, it is bad news. It is also bad news generally for the TRNC and to an extent the ROC.
For me Ercan has never been a point of entry by choice. Flights are less available and less reliable.
Pegasus and it's fragility is also worrying.

This is certainly not about taking sides.
It is simply about an increasing difficulty in getting to and from the TRNC.

The original post by forest P is yet to be confirmed of course.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

wrymouth wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 2:36 pm

My family and I have been travelling to the North since 1980. We usually come 3 times a year and have always used THY or CTA into Ercan. We would not contemplate travelling by any other routing. Those who use Larnaca or Paphos to come to the TRNC should be mindful that they are putting money into the coffers of a regime whose treatment of the Turkish Cypriots has been shameful.

This sort of bigotry only fuels the very sad division that blights the Island.
Sell your prejudices to the Turkish Cypriots who travel freely into the ROC so they can secure their free issue EU/ROC passports,

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brazen »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 8:41 pm
wrymouth wrote:

Sell your prejudices to the Turkish Cypriots who travel freely into the ROC so they can secure their free issue EU/ROC passports,
Please explain why that is bigotry?

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hedge-fund »

waz-24-7 wrote:
wrymouth wrote:

Get the popcorn.

Waz is going to kick off fresh Cyprus communal violence.

Posh.....this is the keyboard warrior I was referring to.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:00 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
wrymouth wrote:

Get the popcorn.

Hmm
Noticeably empty of any meaningful contribution. I think that your 900 plus posts makes you the keyboard warrior

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Brazen wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 9:43 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
wrymouth wrote:

Obstinately or intolerantly taking a view against the ROC . I would like to see a re unification, at least to an extent. iI only to secure peace and co operation rather than the sad division and hostility that still exists.
I believe things are improving and the end game will emerge in due course.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:30 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:12 pm
Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:00 pm

Get the popcorn.

Hmm
Noticeably empty of any meaningful contribution. I think that your 900 plus posts makes you the keyboard warrior
You are a cancer on this site.
No comment needed.
Your contributions to the debate speak for you.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

wrymouth wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 7:06 pm
Just in case anybody feels I am unfairly criticising the regime in the south I wanted to add that I first came to this Island in Feb 1966 and stayed just over 3 years. During that time I saw at first hand what was being done to the Turkish Cypriot minority and was appalled. This was the beginning of 3 important changes for me. Firstly, I made several good friends amongst the Turkish Cypriot community especially in Limassol where I lived; some of them are still alive and we are still good friends. Secondly, I became increasingly aware that what newspapers print and what you have seen with your own eyes are not always the same. Finally, and thanks largely to the first two, I began to take a much greater interest in the politics of the Eastern Mediterranean.
Well said!

My feelings are the same. I love this island and have many Greek and Turkish Cypriot friends. Since first setting foot on the island in 1970 this has not changed. However; I do try and stay away from discussing “The Cyprus Problem” as politics and outside influences have certainly had an impact.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:19 pm

Obstinately or intolerantly taking a view against the ROC . I would like to see a re unification, at least to an extent. iI only to secure peace and co operation rather than the sad division and hostility that still exists.
I guess you will always have peace and unity if you always prostrate yourself at the feet of everyone.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brazen »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:19 pm
Brazen wrote:
Mon 22 Feb 2021 9:43 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:

Well that’s a load off my mind because I was under the impression that voting to leave the Franco German empire was bigotry.

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”