From Greece to Spain: How much tax will I pay in Europe after Brexit?

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

From Greece to Spain: How much tax will I pay in Europe after Brexit?

•   Message 1 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Interesting article in todays Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/from ... 41161976bf

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: From Greece to Spain: How much tax will I pay in Europe after Brexit?

•   Message 2 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

No Surprises there.
Taxes, duties and other administration costs will very quickly be pressed upon UK expats that are now aliens and outside of the Union. The former level playing field status for UK membership are understandably withdrawn.

Now the TRNC may take some benefit from this.
Expats that are resident within recognised EU states and are now open to new regulation, tax and administration regimes; could and may consider relocating to the TRNC where they may escape the new foreigner status ( to an unrecognised degree)and then the increased cost of living as an expat could be to a degree avoided.

However the HMRC will most certainly take TRNC ex pats as UK tax targets so Capital gains, income tax and any others will be on the radar as a revenue stream.

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 62 in Discussion

Post by sausage and pash »

I pay uk tax at 40%. I only have uk pension and 2 very small work pensions. I am not very knowlegable about tax payments. Last time i gave hmrc a year's paperwork!!! Mug!! So they said i was not eligible for a rebate. An accountant friend said later. Rubbish. So you cant always take on the goverent. Ps let them do tne leg work. Dont hand it to them on a plate. Old adage... if you know now what you knew then you would be quids in. Xx

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 62 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

40% tax starts around £43,000pa.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 62 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

sausage and pash wrote:
Sat 16 Jan 2021 9:51 pm
I pay uk tax at 40%. I only have uk pension and 2 very small (?) work pensions....
I also have only UK pension and one work pension (£273pw/£14200pa BEFORE tax) and pay only 20% tax - as I am less than halfway to the 40% threshold.....
(2020/21 Higher rate £50,001 to £150,000 40%)

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

I Think it is taxes more associated with older people that are more relevant.
Inheritance tax and capital gains tax for example.
I believe that private pensions will be attacked by the government in order to pay back the massive borrowings the UK currently carries.
The younger working population is already now under immense financial pressure. Businesses are already subjected to massive changes in red tape and regulations combined with unprecedented closures and failures. Recession and a drop in GDP in very likely next 2-5 yrs based on covid and Brexit losses.
It is assets , savings and pensions that are the easier pickings to take the economy into payback mode.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 62 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Waz, still bitter over Brexit I see!

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

thornaby wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 2:49 pm
Waz, still bitter over Brexit I see!
No. Not Bitter. Disappointed yes.
Just like we joined then left. A campaign to re join will get my support.

I guess it may take some years but I believe truth and reality will prevail over the lies and fake news that I think you for one may have lapped up and has taken the UK into choppy waters.
Please do pick up on the fishermen's current plight as an example.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 1:15 pm

I believe that private pensions will be attacked by the government in order to pay back the massive borrowings the UK currently carries.
The younger working population is already now under immense financial pressure. Businesses are already subjected to massive changes in red tape and regulations combined with unprecedented closures and failures. Recession and a drop in GDP in very likely next 2-5 yrs based on covid and Brexit losses.
It is assets , savings and pensions that are the easier pickings to take the economy into payback mode.
Why mention covid when you can blame it all on Brexit!

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 62 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Waz, what the bitter remoaners never accept is the greatest lie of all, the vote to join a COMMON MARKET, what a con, I and others who voted to leave the European superstate have no issue with a COMMON MARKET.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 3:55 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 1:15 pm

Why mention covid when you can blame it all on Brexit!
Covid effects are massive... Job losses and business failures are like never before' but at least we can see a pathway out.
I agree Brexit effect is amplifying the position.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

thornaby wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 6:29 pm
Waz, what the bitter remoaners never accept is the greatest lie of all, the vote to join a COMMON MARKET, what a con, I and others who voted to leave the European superstate have no issue with a COMMON MARKET.
It has always been clear that to be in the club you must except the rules. You do not like the rules and so you voted to divorce the club.
This we have clearly done and the fishing industry is the first industry to experience first hand the damage and loss. The fact this has happened so quickly is testament to the lack of planning, understanding and hoodwinking that some saw very plainly.

The remoaners that you refer to are now I think the RE JOINERS as we set sights on the next 10 years when we might lay a path to recovery and prosperity.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 7:23 pm

It has always been clear that to be in the club you must except the rules. You do not like the rules and so you voted to divorce the club.
This we have clearly done and the fishing industry is the first industry to experience first hand the damage and loss.
Yes but we joined a squash club and it was turned into a snooker club. It wasn’t just a few rules changed it was the whole ethos that changed or became apparent.
As for the fishing industry, we have been manacled to the EU for nearly half a century, even the most optimistic leaver expected bumps in the road and teething problems for a while and it has been a little more than a fortnight.
I’m sure when we joined the Common Market it wasn’t all smooth sailing from the off

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Duplicate

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 9:42 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 7:23 pm

This we have clearly done and the fishing industry is the first industry to experience first hand the damage and loss.
Yes but we joined a squash club and it was turned into a snooker club. It wasn’t just a few rules changed it was the whole ethos that changed or became apparent.
As for the fishing industry, we have been manacled to the EU for nearly half a century, even the most optimistic leaver expected bumps in the road and teething problems for a while and it has been a little more than a fortnight.
I’m sure when we joined the Common Market it wasn’t all smooth sailing from the off
I don't think the fishermen or indeed that industry leaders are taking the same or even similar position to yours.
They have been hoodwinked , lied to and their livelihoods are under immediate threat as ships are tied to the piers in Peterhead OR are being forced to off load in Denmark. Langoustine harvests are being dumped as fishermen simply cannot get the product to their European buyers.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 62 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

except vs accept - Accept means to agree or to receive something offered. Except means excluding or with the exception of. The ex- of except can help you to remember that it means excluding.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

jofra wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021 11:30 pm
except vs accept - Accept means to agree or to receive something offered. Except means excluding or with the exception of. The ex- of except can help you to remember that it means excluding.
woops!
many thanks

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 18 of 62 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

it is not the fishery industry only.
there are thousands of small manufacturers and retailers, with 10 or 30% EU customers.
before: 10 GBP article into the box, stamp and go.
now: letter of origin, tax declaration, the lot..
so, minimum orders of 100 or 200 gbp are mandatory.... and then the EU customer has to pay VAT, which is additional labor/ hassle..
and.... if the UK does not take care.. they do run out of europallets, which needs to be now, for non EU countries, ISPM15 standart. every third lorry could be rejected, but french customs turn a blind eye... for now.

Euler Hermes estimates the damage for the UK at 12-25bn GBP.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

UK expats in the TRNC who are villa owning 'swallows' such as myself, I believe will find the visa rules both sides of the border a huge disincentive to remaining.

Assuming we are allowed to fly into the south before crossing to the north, as in the 'good old days', we will be subject to the 90 in 180 days rule.

Flying into Ercan via Istanbul is not an attractive prospect.

When entering the north we will then be subject to 30 day visas and also the 90 in 180 days.

In the 'good old days' we would happily visit for 2 months at a time, 3 or 4 times a year practically visa free being over 60. The TRNC system for obtaining residency every year is another major factor. Yes, I know, if we don't like it, we do know what we can do.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 62 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Waz, I am hopeful and sure that Brexit will be a success but I really believe that people like you are hoping for the exact opposite . That sort of bitterness will destroy you.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 62 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Hector, I'm not one of those who constantly chant "if you don't like it etc, etc, etc" Actually I feel very sorry for you when I consider the number of people I know in your position and I'm sure you feel cheated. In a similar sort of way, but different, are people who would dearly love to see some family next year, but not sure if yet again, we will make it. At 85 and 78 respectively, time is flying by and we want a cuddles from our extended family!!!!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Mon 18 Jan 2021 12:34 pm
it is not the fishery industry only.
there are thousands of small manufacturers and retailers, with 10 or 30% EU customers.
before: 10 GBP article into the box, stamp and go.
now: letter of origin, tax declaration, the lot..
so, minimum orders of 100 or 200 gbp are mandatory.... and then the EU customer has to pay VAT, which is additional labor/ hassle..
and.... if the UK does not take care.. they do run out of europallets, which needs to be now, for non EU countries, ISPM15 standart. every third lorry could be rejected, but french customs turn a blind eye... for now.

Euler Hermes estimates the damage for the UK at 12-25bn GBP.
doomed.jpg

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

thornaby wrote:
Mon 18 Jan 2021 1:37 pm
Waz, I am hopeful and sure that Brexit will be a success but I really believe that people like you are hoping for the exact opposite . That sort of bitterness will destroy you.
Once again I clearly let you know. I'm getting on with it.!!
Your brash statements of hope and certainty do not reflect what is happening here in the UK . On the coal face and dealing with the mess left by incompetent leadership , lies and failures. Just read the news!! no links I'm afraid as its all so clearly on the wall.

Please do tell me what positives I have to build upon. Daily red tape on sending anything to my European customers is frightening, very expensive and already the additional costs are threatening long term trading relationships.
I fear that you have no idea or experience within the world of commerce and European trade. You possibly voted without thought of the UK economy but simply the adage "make Great Britain great again" "Rule Britannia"... I'm afraid you're just out of date!!

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hector wrote:
Mon 18 Jan 2021 1:05 pm
UK expats in the TRNC who are villa owning 'swallows' such as myself, I believe will find the visa rules both sides of the border a huge disincentive to remaining.

Assuming we are allowed to fly into the south before crossing to the north, as in the 'good old days', we will be subject to the 90 in 180 days rule.

When entering the north we will then be subject to 30 day visas and also the 90 in 180 days.

In the 'good old days' we would happily visit for 2 months at a time, 3 or 4 times a year practically visa free being over 60. The TRNC system for obtaining residency every year is another major factor. Yes, I know, if we don't like it, we do know what we can do.
Yes I feel this also. It is not what was on any ballot paper. I wish it was!! In a decade the Rejoin party may get a better deal...I hope.

As Posh said many months ago upon restricted routes and flights. He will find a way. He may. .. and that is great for him. Not me and clearly others.

The longer term difficulties...well documented for past years will indeed hinder many non European UK citizens. Of course the TRNC will suffer also as numbers of UK spenders and visitor (including swallows) numbers decline.
My view Hector, like yours is that flying into the South is no longer a real option given our new alien status. Ercan via Turkey will be a less attractive option. The absence of choice will most certainly drive flight costs up.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 25 of 62 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

waz,
you should not forget that many members here are elderly.. made their money during the years of membership in the EU, at least sufficient to own a house here and/or can afford a longer expat stay and/or several holiday stays a year... extra costs for airfares and other difficulties does not matter for them.
important only is that they want to enjoy some last years in "freedom and sovereignty", whatever that means.

btw, i did need an item and i had several options... as delivery time was too long from UK, i opted for an EU retailer.
30 gbp. not much, but may happen 100k times a day....
surely brexiteers will all blame to... covid.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 11:33 am
waz,
you should not forget that many members here are elderly.. made their money during the years of membership in the EU, at least sufficient to own a house here and/or can afford a longer expat stay and/or several holiday stays a year... extra costs for airfares and other difficulties does not matter for them.
important only is that they want to enjoy some last years in "freedom and sovereignty", whatever that means.
Your country Germany is still in the EU so I wouldn't worry yourself.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 12:06 am

Yes I feel this also. It is not what was on any ballot paper. I wish it was!! In a decade the Rejoin party may get a better deal...I hope.
Yes it was tricky not to put a full manifesto on the ballot papers like they normally do.
Well its been 3 weeks Waz, no-one can say you haven't given it a good try so you go off and form your Rejoin party.

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 62 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

Before you go waz more good news

'Bang goes one of Project Fear’s biggest scare stories!' Nissan commits to UK investment
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

TAC wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 12:40 pm

'Bang goes one of Project Fear’s biggest scare stories!' Nissan commits to UK investment
You mean that there are hundreds of workers that won't lose their jobs? What a sad day

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 62 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 1:03 pm
TAC wrote:

You mean that there are hundreds of workers that won't lose their jobs? What a sad day
Careful or he will comeback with
surely a Truckee getting his ham sandwich confiscated, an obscure Dutch bike shop refusing to ship or a middle-class woman having to pay VAT are the real stories of Brexit?
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

TAC wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 2:10 pm

surely a Truckee getting his ham sandwich confiscated, an obscure Dutch bike shop refusing to ship or a middle-class woman having to pay VAT are the real stories of Brexit?
I have to say had the Remainers pushed the fact that Tabitha from Berkshire wouldn't be able to enjoy a gap year in Gstaad paid for by the tax payer or her parents would have to limit their trips to their villa in Tuscany to 90 days at a time then they could well have turned the Referendum on its head

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Oh, now I'm wondering just why this forum is steadily petering out with such incisive, persuading and interesting bickering going on...

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

I do think we should move on from the BREXIT debate. We have left!
We must now acknowledge and focus on the clear difficulties being presented and how the UK may deal with the issues.
I simply relay the emerging difficulties and damages. I certainly hold the UK Government accountable and their total lack of planning and strategy is leaving working people and businesses in dire straights. Shameful

Okay .. to an extent they have been driven to the wall by the vote but certainly Mr Johnson is more responsible than most. Mr Farage has deserted the UK cause, moved his campaign into Europe and seeks to take on China.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

TAC wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 2:10 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 1:03 pm
TAC wrote:

Careful or he will comeback with
Once again from the front line Coal Face.
As a tier1 supplier to Nissan UK. The all new vehicle P33b Qashqai is being built in Sunderland. This is indeed good news. The build volumes are currently however under review as market assessments take place. I hope they can maintain a targeted 830 vehicles a day. Remember please it is customers and markets only that dictate the prospects of any business. Without doubt. The movement of goods in Europe are very much as predicted.... More difficult, costly and damaging.
The UK Government must get it together and sort export and import difficulties . Unfortunately World trade law plus both UK and EU law and remit from voters are all opposing progress.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 6:57 pm

I hope they can maintain a targeted 830 vehicles a day.
Course you do

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Waz

I’m sure most of the EU would swap places with the UK right now. Currently the UK are almost up to 6 MILLION vaccinated whereas the EU have dithered and dithered about which vaccine to buy then tried to get cheaper deals which in the end means they have very few supplies and have now been told by both vaccine companies that they won’t be getting their second supplies for a while yet.
If we were still in the EU we would have vaccinated less than 1 million to date.

While Rome burned we acted as a Sovereign Nation. Nearly all EU countries have spoken in the press about not being satisfied by the handling of the EU vaccine procedures.

This has been the first major test after Brexit and the UK have come out of it with flying colours compared to the dithering beurocracy of the EU.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Walesforever wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 9:57 am
Waz

I’m sure most of the EU would swap places with the UK right now. Currently the UK are almost up to 6 MILLION vaccinated whereas the EU have dithered and dithered about which vaccine to buy then tried to get cheaper deals which in the end means they have very few supplies and have now been told by both vaccine companies that they won’t be getting their second supplies for a while yet.
If we were still in the EU we would have vaccinated less than 1 million to date.

While Rome burned we acted as a Sovereign Nation. Nearly all EU countries have spoken in the press about not being satisfied by the handling of the EU vaccine procedures.

This has been the first major test after Brexit and the UK have come out of it with flying colours compared to the dithering beurocracy of the EU.

I'm sorry but the vaccination programme is not an EU controlled, financed or administered roll out. Each and every state has its own strategy and programme. Certainly the geographical proximity and cross border movements between the mainland Union members presents some difficulties. and a combined co operation is valuable. It is great that the UK is leading the vaccination roll out. It must as the UK death rate is also top of the leader board. That is somewhat irrelevant however.

I'm afraid, that also, your them and us stance is not helpful in enhancing relationships with our biggest customer for UK goods and services.

The pandemic, of course, could not come at a worse time. The Brexit effect was always going to be challenging but the pandemic has in my view massively multiplied the level of challenge and difficulty.
The list of issues and emerging losses must be addressed by the UK government and quickly. Combined with COVID effect the UK GDP is falling.
My view is about a 11% drop this year.
Now many will call this scaremongering. I say wake up, smell the coffee and provide the UK economy , businesses and working people with some solutions. Solutions from particularly those like Mr Johnson and Mr Farage who were the main players in taking the UK into the brexit mess.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 10:40 am

Solutions from particularly those like Mr Johnson and Mr Farage who were the main players in taking the UK into the brexit mess.
Farage has zero power as he isn't in government

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 2:14 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 10:40 am

Solutions from particularly those like Mr Johnson and Mr Farage who were the main players in taking the UK into the brexit mess.
Farage has zero power as he isn't in government
Oh.
One would think or even expect that after his campaigning, hoodwinking and rallying of the "take back control" troops.: that we would remain on the front line supporting the very working on the line troops who he has led down the garden or even war path.
No.
Instead he has moved the BREXIT party into Europe where he can now peddle a campaign to take on China. The man is an absolute danger to the UK and anyone else bar Mr Trump. My guess he will be at the front bearing arms to take on China....at least until the fighting really starts.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 40 of 62 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Hector wrote:

As Posh said many months ago upon restricted routes and flights. He will find a way. He may. .. and that is great for him. Not me and clearly others.

The longer term difficulties...well documented for past years will indeed hinder many non European UK citizens. Of course the TRNC will suffer also as numbers of UK spenders and visitor (including swallows) numbers decline.
My view Hector, like yours is that flying into the South is no longer a real option given our new alien status. Ercan via Turkey will be a less attractive option. The absence of choice will most certainly drive flight costs up.
In the grand scheme of things applying for residency whilst not perfect is so much easier compared to even a few years ago. For one it’s now online and there is an appointments system so no rocking up at the police station or immigration in Lefkosia and hoping you would get in. Also the cost when factored out over a year is barely more than the price of a bottle of Efes a day.

Our stays were maybe between 2- 3 mths two or three times a year but we decided to save the hassle and to come and go as we wanted we always did residency. It just made sense. When we can return to the TRNC, renewing residency is top of the list of jobs to be done. Many countries impose the same regulations and at a far greater cost.

As for travel, we have used both Ercan and Larnaca depending on price and flight time. If it does become necessary to just use Ercan, so be it. It really is not a huge issue. As for crossing to the south; yes we will miss this opportunity if we are prevented from doing so, simply because we love the whole island and like to revisit and explore old haunts. However; if it’s not possible it’s as they say in Cyprus “no problem”.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 3:51 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Hector wrote:

In the grand scheme of things applying for residency whilst not perfect is so much easier compared to even a few years ago. For one it’s now online and there is an appointments system so no rocking up at the police station or immigration in Lefkosia and hoping you would get in. Also the cost when factored out over a year is barely more than the price of a bottle of Efes a day.

Our stays were maybe between 2- 3 mths two or three times a year but we decided to save the hassle and to come and go as we wanted we always did residency. It just made sense. When we can return to the TRNC, renewing residency is top of the list of jobs to be done. Many countries impose the same regulations and at a far greater cost.

As for travel, we have used both Ercan and Larnaca depending on price and flight time. If it does become necessary to just use Ercan, so be it. It really is not a huge issue. As for crossing to the south; yes we will miss this opportunity if we are prevented from doing so, simply because we love the whole island and like to revisit and explore old haunts. However; if it’s not possible it’s as they say in Cyprus “no problem”.
Posh,
Thais all fine from your personal perspective.
Mine , Hector and many differ. Access to Cyprus and TRNC has become more difficult , costly and is by no means a positive.
The TRNC is now less attractive to UK citizens and holiday companies . Like any business. If you make trade , business or service more difficult then loss is inevitable.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Waz

The EU have bought/ordered as a whole union. No EU country has bought outright. It’s all been bought centrally hence most EU countries going to the press these last ten days complaining and moaning about this.
Your right the UK has ( just about) one of the highest death tolls,but we are also in the top 3 countries in the world for people passing through.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Walesforever wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 7:02 pm
Waz

The EU have bought/ordered as a whole union. No EU country has bought outright. It’s all been bought centrally hence most EU countries going to the press these last ten days complaining and moaning about this.
Your right the UK has ( just about) one of the highest death tolls,but we are also in the top 3 countries in the world for people passing through.

Once again your them and us stance is hardly appropriate or relevant to any membership of any co operative Union.
Roll out in the UK is similarly at differing stages across our own Union of countries.
Certainly if the UK was at the EU health care table so to speak then the position could well be different.... Hey but why on earth would the UK now want to save European lives. Perhaps they matter less than UK lives.

I think it hardly appropriate you take the view that if the UK was still in the Union the success of UK roll out would be any less.
No one but no one would suggest that any administration would present obstacles to fighting the Covid disease.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 62 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 8:30 pm

No one but no one would suggest that any administration would present obstacles to fighting the Covid disease.
I doubt you’ll find anyone who thinks administration or bureaucracy speeds things up

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Walesforever wrote:
Waz

Once again your them and us stance is hardly appropriate or relevant to any membership of any co operative Union.
Roll out in the UK is similarly at differing stages across our own Union of countries.
Certainly if the UK was at the EU health care table so to speak then the position could well be different.... Hey but why on earth would the UK now want to save European lives. Perhaps they matter less than UK lives.

I think it hardly appropriate you take the view that if the UK was still in the Union the success of UK roll out would be any less.

You hate the UK so much you are gutted UK lives are being saved.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 10:53 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Walesforever wrote:
Waz

You hate the UK so much you are gutted UK lives are being saved.
Hmm
Your comments are totally unsupported. and not welcome. I, unlike you possibly, live in the UK and do so with pride.
Every day. I acknowledge the threat of Covid. I take responsibility for people within my remit and do my best to protect them whilst supporting their need to earn a living. These challenging times do not warrant your snipes and attacks.
Please just go away.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

I live in England and do not appreciate mugs putting my country down.

The UK is doing fantastic at rolling out the vaccine.

Every time you put my country down I will push back. I will not be going anywhere.

If you hate this country so much and love the eu one wonders why you stay.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 48 of 62 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

"The UK is doing fantastic at rolling out the vaccine"
well, some experts have other opinions... but, tbh, i believe no country can do "fantastic".

every EU memberstate could have done negotiations with the several vaccine manufacturers separately. that was and is their right. also they could have given approval separately. but, of course, especially the smaller members would have been in a much more difficult situation to get acceptable negotiation results.
it would have been a hit and knock on top. now, everybody moans, of course. eg, hungary, which wants to buy Sputnik V now...
the need is great.. everywhere, the (virus and ) vaccine battle in full swing...

taken in account he virus variant B1.1.7, the most clever thing most probably would be to allocate more vaccine to the UK, that at least they can do the second shot within the time scale given.
(yes, what i mean is that the EU should give a couple of million doses to the UK, NOW)
in reverse, say if the EU would have made a "better deal" and , eg, the UK would get "less", it makes not so much sense.
even "all doses" from the UK would be "watered down" taking in account that the EU has 450m citizens.
every EU country would get, say, 10 or 15% more doses only.
and before you come to Israel.. i think it was very clever what both Israel and Biontech/pfizer agreed to.
israel can vaccinate fast and biontech gets a lot of money + data! from a (quite isolated) 10m country which is thoroughly vaccinated with biontechs mRNA vaccine only. No Astra, no Sputnik, no Sinovac involved. basically a "P4" trial.
the world(s experts) are looking to Israel. so many questions.

and, btw and to come back to topic, i read an article that "hundreds" of UK companies are going to open "EU subsidiaries" and employ people and soon pay a lot of tax in the EU...

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 62 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Sat 23 Jan 2021 11:44 pm
I live in England and do not appreciate mugs putting my country down.

The UK is doing fantastic at rolling out the vaccine.

Every time you put my country down I will push back. I will not be going anywhere.

If you hate this country so much and love the eu one wonders why you stay.
Great so we both live in the UK or should I say the disunited kingdom. I will join you on not appreciating mugs putting my country down.

My views on how the UK has become a divided, misguided and weaker nation are clear.
I remain a proud member (to an extent) of the United Kingdom as I guess you are.
If the Union should break up and Wales becomes independent. I would now support that position in the hope my country will, like Scotland, re affirm a desire to remain part of Europe in as many formats as is possible and acceptable.

The English pockets of nationalistic "rule Britannia" supporters must now absorb and deal with the clear writing on the wall. Unfortunately the same groups failed to see the bigger picture some 4 years ago

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 62 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Waz

As the vaccine roll out as just proved....the UK are far from a poorer country ( still the 5th richest Nation in the World).

What is HAS proved is that we can know make our own decisions ( shown by us buying various vaccines) and we are still world leaders in other fields ( shown by us developing the Oxford vaccine).
Not sure which part of the UK you live but even in these extremely tough times there is new optimism about the future.Especially given the fact we are not tied down to huge amounts of beurocracy and costs feeding the top heavy EU dining table.
From where I’m standing the EU isn’t looking great at present. A lot of their members are on their knees financially and have had to go cap in hand with the begging bowl on a number of occasions recently.

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”