http://www.voicesnewspaper.com/modules. ... e&sid=5474
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: are expats leaving in big numbers ?

•   Message 2 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

I am just arriving so I am too interested to know how true that report is.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

As one who is trapped here financially, and would MAYBE move out if it were possible, may I comment that it is almost impossible to generalise. I heard only this week of some people who reckoned they would stay here for ever, but who are fearful for medical help in older age. Understandable, but take a look at the medical situation in U.K! Several leave because their money does not go as far. Take a look at Council tax in U.K! Others are fed up at being ignored because they are British. How do foreigners fare in other ocuntries - we are 'yabanci' and should accept we are guests of the country! Others can't hack the culture, with many arriving still thinking this is a British colony. Just compare the laws here to U.K and you will find they are VERY different in many ways, although stated it is 'British law'.! We make choices. Poeple stay here because of the weather, the overall friendliness, the safety, low crime rate, the beauty that still exists in nature, and overlook the negatives. Others unfortunatley cannot see the stars and gaze at the mud and don't like it.
One other thing to bear in mind, more are leaving because more came! It is proportionate.
the article in Voice has a lot of truth - but it is not ALL truth.
Having said I am trapped, I think that if I could physically move to another more suitable house in a more suitable location, then the 'maybe I would move' would go away. Imiss other places I have lived, but to go back would be fatal in terms of the involvement I have here. So again, choices.
But mov ing to another country means the challenges of finding out if you like it. Remember all those who went on the £10 passage to Australia and remember the many who went back to U.K as soon as they could. ?
So to Bert, I would say 'put your feet in the water and stay a while before deciding. As they say, the first year is the honeymoon, the second is finding the warts, and the third is deciding what you are going to do! Stay or go!
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 58 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

I believe that there are more expats leaving here than you can image, because take for an example yesterday I arrived at the imigration department in Lefkosa at 11.50am and I was in my car driving off at 12.05pm which normally takes 2hrs minimum, and the same goes for the police station in Girne, I was only in there 10 mins tops.
I must say though even after living here for 13 yrs I still seem to feel uncomfortable at the imigration offices as they always want to find something wrong with my paperwork, which there never is at the end of the day.
Just a question for anyone to answer that I have been wondering about for a while, is where do all the russians that are supposed to be living here go for there residency, as you rarely see them at any of these offices, or are they exempt?

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

I too am trapped by money - but let down byt he UK legal system not the Cypriot. Not wanting to burn my bridges I let my house in the UK. The depridations of tenants and neglect of landlords turned what was once a beautiful home into a tip. I had the choice of selling at a loss or leaving everything I had built up here and spending months arranging repairs and fighting laws that penalised the Landlord at every turn.

Bert: It is a matter of attitude. If you expect England in the sun you will end up bitter and twisted. If you accept the differences and cope with the (many) frustrations, you will find a lot of good things to weight in the balance.

The main worry is health care, but as Marion says look at the situation in the UK. There is a lot more the expat community could do by way of mutual help. OK they rally round and congratulate each other in an emergency, but you have to be in the right cliqueand more could be done by way of community spirit and offering a helping hand - and possibly pre-empting the emergency. Marion - is there an article in that?

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Agree R r. And in facvt I did do an article about 4 years ago, when the small system that existing within BRS had to stop because it was becoming impossible due to numbers. Perhaps I should dig the thing up and update it (although nothing really has changed, except there are more hospitals here now, and the State hospital has better facilities ) and put it in the Star, if you think it would be helpful.

As to the russians, there is not a separate system, but maybe they do (as Brits uswed to d0), get an agent to do a load at once.
ah well, as that lovely old song says ' Always look on the bright side of life'. If you don't I rekcon you get depressed unnecessarily. I am faced with several property challenges here (and in Turkey -bought a place that took all my money, was refused permission to buyy but not until after work had begun makingit unsaleable and uninhabitable) but I reckon it is better to fight under the blue skies and gorgeous sunshine than sit in a chicken hut watching the rain fall down and wonder what the heck to do next.
Maid Marion of Malatya

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 58 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

This T.R.N.C government (past and present) actively practices and encourages massive levels of discrimination against all foreigners in the T.R.N.C (take driving license renewals for a simple example) until this discrimination is stopped and there is some level of equality for everyone no foreigners will feel welcome here, they will continue to leave and take their hard earned money elsewhere, and who can blame them.

http://s16.postimage.org/xefh3j8th/Copy_of_IMG2.png

http://s18.postimage.org/r7bce6rnd/Copy_of_IMG.jpg

gemini39
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 58 in Discussion

Post by gemini39 »

To Bert

Would be good to communicate with u on how its going since u moved

We are due out in October and looking to rent , not found a place yet

Mel7348
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Mel7348 »

Not aware of driving license renewal discrimination here. My current license 23/07/2006 expires 22/07/2016. Maybe the goal posts have changed.

Bert: It is a matter of attitude. If you expect England in the sun you will end up bitter and twisted. If you accept the differences and cope with the (many) frustrations, you will find a lot of good things to weight in the balance.

Rambling Rose has for me hit the nail on the head.
Life's too short to stuff a mushroom

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 58 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

Yes Mel7348 the goal posts have moved but this is not a new thing been like it for a while now, as a foreigner you will only get a three year license now ? and at well over 200tl (can't remember exact amount about 230tl 'ish) Turkish cyps can have 5 and 10 year licenses (not sure about Turk main-landers ?), this really mounts up the costs over ten years, even as a permanent resident they will not give me a 5 or 10 year license ? ? a simple example of discrimination in the T.R.N.C there are a lot worse examples but I don't have all day to list them. subsidizing the Cypriot life style (yet again) springs to mind .

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Health care rambling rose?? why is it that bad or too expensive in teh North?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 58 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Like many others our property is on the market. Despite having a really realistic asking price I don't expect to sell it within the next two years unless I drop the price by 25%. We will never be able to move back to UK because the money we get (if we're are lucky) for this place wiould only buy us a tiny two bedroomed flat back in our part of the UK . The reason for selling is down firmly and squarely. HEALTH CARE. When we came over here the cost of health care was easily fundable from our purse, now its not.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Bert: Health care is a big issue - too big I think to tackle here. I hope you know that there is no NHS here, so unless you qualify for the UK NHS and are able to return to the UK for treatment , you have to pay for everything (except first treatment in an emergency I believe.) Having said that, I have found care to be good, comparatively cheap and no long waiting lists! But it does depend on what is wrong with you. You need to think about insurance or building up a BIG emergency fund.

Also there is not the nursing care for in patients - a big problem for anyone on their own or with a handicapped partner. There is a voluntary organisation of nurses, but I am not sure if it has sufficient resources and it tends to be based West of Girne.

Actually I was thinking more of home help and social services - for people housebound temporarily sick or injured and wondering how many lonely old people there are here who arent well enough known to get help if they are health problems , stuck at home or dependant on Cypriot friends and neighbours because all the events (including Charitable ones!) assume full mobility - both on two feet and four wheels.

Marion: I think there are TWO articles here - one with useful contact details for newcomers and one to encourage more care in the community. Send me a PM if you want more input.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 58 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

I put this on another post but suppose it's also relevant here...

I remember reading on Cyprus44 or similar a while ago a post put on by someone who complained about the tasteless tomatoes in Cyprus and the amount of dirt on the potatoes. No doubt they are one of the "many" who are now leaving the island...GOOD!

Sandman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Sandman »

Officialdom - be it police,'civil" servants including immigration staff at airports etc - have always been the downside of both parts of Cyprus.
The police tend to be thuggish and disinterested and immigration are unfriendly,arrogant and generally incompetent - in my experience.
But the ordinary people in my experience are lovely . Of course there are always exceptions.
But in my fairly lengthy experience of both parts of Cyprus the brit expat - with some exceptions -is the biggest pain in the arse and has gradually done to the north exactly what they did in the south and elsewhere.
Only my opinion!! And the wifes !! And all my friends who visit there regularly!!

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 58 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

IMO a lot of the problems experienced by people leaving are due to lack of prior research. The main areas being employment, education and health.
We are retired and came here not needing to work. Younger people arrive here expecting to find employment easily and quickly, they soon find themselves eating into their savings and having to join the Black Economy.

The second problem usually arises because of the first, finding the school fees. If a child can speak Turkish they can go into the state system otherwise it is several thousand pounds per year for each child.

Finally health care. I know the state system is quite good in emergency situations from friends who have experienced it first hand but you still have to pay. However for many situations you will go to one of the many private institutions. My other half has experienced surgery twice now and can offer nothing but praise for the doctors, nurses and care given. However we are able to pay the costs incurred, what if you have no money?

If you arrive here and have not made adequate provision then you will quickly end in trouble that is why we recommend people either not to consider buying here or rent for at least 12 months before making any final decisions.

Why do I often say "I wish I could get out"? After we moved out nearly 7 years ago the developer did a bunk! We still have no building permit which means we cannot get our own electric supply and pay 3 times the normal rate. We have been around the bureaucratic trail so many times we have now given up hope of achieving a result unless another country takes charge of the corrupt and bankrupt system that is TRNC. Yes, we have moan about it among friends but usually end up laughing about how the system works and at the antics of the clowns in charge.

I know some people have given up fighting the system and left but as I said initially the main reason they leave is financial. TRNC is not the cheap place to live as it was when we first came and if you have a family of school age it probably is not the place to come.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Thank you rambling Rose I appreciate your comments. Perhaps Medical Insurance is the obvious route?

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 58 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Bert.
The cost of Medical Insurance is extremely high if you are over 60, you need to be prepared to pay between £800 and £1,000 per year.
Counter that with a medical bill of around £50,000 if you end up in CCU for a sustained period!!

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

I assume therefore its a tad cheaper if under 60!

Compared with the Bupa insurance I have for UK at the moment I think that 800 to 1000 is very reasonable indeed. From memory it's well over 300 for my insurance in the UK......... per month. Damn site better than 50K in your example

Again many thanks

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Gemini

Where are you looking to rent and what sort of place I may know somewhere

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

having read all this and been a part of the discussion, I must just add that there are many, many, ex pats who are V ERY happy here, but do not bother with fora and facebook alike. Just thought I would add that.

As to private health insurance, of course it depends on age3. as 'im downstairs is over80, it is an impossible sum, so we trust in God and our bank balance, plus if anything serious, then back to U.K where we have a legitimate reason for going, if needs be.

But..... the standard of health care here has improved tremendously,.

LOh and I agree about the statement of North and South. I have lived and worked in both and have witnessed the changes that happened in the south 20 plus years ago, now reaching the north. But, heck, NOTHING stays the same, including us.
Maid Marion of Malatya

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 58 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

There are illnesses that simply cannot be dealt with in TRNC. A friend has had to return to the UK because of his Wife's steadily-worsening Alzheimers. He even had to buy a special drug from the South as it is not available in the north.
Happily, they had managed to retain their home in the UK.

Mel7348
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Mel7348 »

Message 15 - cyprusishome.

The first four paragraphs should be required reading for anyone thinking of moving here, although don't know where it could be published.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Bert: Try the BRS for Health Insurance. I believe they have a Group Policy. I am not a member myself, but it is worth checking out and getting a quote for comparison as group policies usually have considerable savings.

I agree with the recommendation re renting - its not just whether you like North Cyprus - its also about which area you prefer and whether, for instance, being in the mountains with wonderful views but a long way from town is a priority or easy access to shops, doctors, etc.

Generally I think everyone who comes to live here should be forced to study the history of Cyprus - particularly recent history . "to understand everything" may not be "to excuse" everything but to realise what Turkish Cypriots have been through does help to understand their attitudes. Also remember this is a very young country - they dont have the centuries of experience of others and are really still experimenting and finding their way through means of Government, Justice etc. Also they have inherited the beaurocracy of both the Ottoman and British empires - a strange mix and both were very beaurocratic.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

After a couple of conversations today and thinking about it further, it is not just comparative newcomers who just cant hack it that are leaving the country. It is long term residents, who thought they were here for life but are realising that it just is not the same country they came to. I also remember there was a similar exodus of many old timers, including a lot of my own friends,post 2004 when the more astute saw the writing on the wall and got out in time.

The problem is as Sandman hints in message l4, Northern Cyprus is rapidly becoming a Mediterranean playground for wannabe lotus eaters, in the same manner as South Cyprus, Spain and other countries in the area. You cant entirely blame the TCs - prevented by world prejudice from other forms of commerce they have little choice but to cash in on their natural advantages of sun, sea etc. but it is so sort sighted. This really spoils life for those of us who were content with the country as it was and did not demand expensive toys - luxury villas with swimming pool, fancy cars, pedigree dogs, imported food, wall to wall entertainment etc.

Talk about killling the goose that laid the golden egg. ! The strain on the infrastructure and natural resources, despoilation of the scenerey and destruction of unique flora and fauna and distortion of culture and ethnic character, combined with spiralling inflation, will leave nothing to offer serious visitors and residents, and the transients will move on to despoil pastures new.

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 58 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Rambling Rose, I totally agree with you.

They came, they saw, they messed it up and now they are running off crying, good riddance.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 27 of 58 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Firstly I am not an ex pat....however I lived on the island from 1970 - 73, 1983 - 86 and 1990 - 93 plus we have holidayed more times than we care to remember both north and south. We believe we are well experienced on island life and saw many changes during our time living permanently out in the sunshine. The result was we fuinally took the plunge and bought a small place for ourselves...not our intention to sell up and move out permanently but to buy only what we can afford, knowing all the problems we could encounter. WE want to spend as much time as possible visiting an island which is still magical after 40+ years.

I do agree with RamblingRose about learning the history of the island 0- it is so important to have an understanding of what happened both in the 1950's and 60's during the Cyprus emergency and the EOKA uprising. British colonial rule in general plus also the more recent history from 1974 onwards. I must admit I do seek out and read everything I can about those long hot summer days of 1974, the greek junta overthrow of Makarios and the inevitable Turkish Peace Operation. The TRNC is as has been said a very young state recognised only by Turkey and struggles to advance as quickly as it would like and much of what has been said is so very true.

However; despite some negativity we still keep coming back. We can remember being allowed in the 1980's and 90's to be able to have day trips across to the north and eventually stays of up to 3 days...long before anyone else could really travel from south to north and when tourism really was in its infancy. There have been many changes over the years all over the island, with the advantage now of easy crossing from north to south which opens up endless opportunities to explore. Despite the growth in tourism, the influx of people and all not so good it can bring we believe that if you work at it there is still plenty of unspoilt places to be found well away from the tourist masses. Each time we returned having been away we have always managed to find something new. We remember an advert many years ago for North Cyprus....." A corner of earth touched by heaven"...for us its still true. So much so its great when people come and join us so we can share this special place with them.

Fully understand why people are disillusioned and may want to return home but for us we love looking forward to the next time we fly out to be where we really feel at home.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

sundance
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 58 in Discussion

Post by sundance »

Well put PoshinDevon, I have been on and off the island many times in service and hols from 77, there has been many changes over the years north and south, more so in the south and not all for the best, we bought in the north 6 years ago and are more than happy with the time we spend there, very time we go we feel it is getting better in the north but slowly, i also have friends that bought in the south ex service men and when speaking to them feel they got the dirty end of the stick, with many ex pats leaving the south and for more than health reasons, adapt and make the best of it, its not a bed of roses here in the UK. Just my opinion.

Sundance

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 29 of 58 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Sundance

Fully agree...... Adapt and make the most foot is a very good comment. As we tell our kids, life is not a rehearsal so just get on and do what you want to do.... do not look back and have regrets.

Change happens and is inevitable, but as I said its been 40+ years and we still come back and have no regrets.

Our little village here in Devon has changed dramatically since we moved back in 1994, we don't always agree with the changes but understand that it must happen or the village will just turn into an old folks home!

Just 2 weeks to go before we return to Cyprus and looking forward to discovering a few more places to visit, restaurants to eat in and beaches to lie on.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

flowerfairy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 58 in Discussion

Post by flowerfairy »

Well, we've been living here for five and a half years now and haven't regretted our move for one second.
Lucky me, you'll probably be saying. We've had our health problems, yes, the cost has knocked our budget,
but we did it. Where else can you buy a fresh loaf of bread for 30 odd pence?.
Only here could you live to such a tight budget to allow you to get through a financial blip.
The only thing that I don't particularly like are the people who are trying to make this like a ''little Britain''.
I have no problem with the UK, crikey, I'm British, and proud of it. BUT, I came to live here because it's like
going back in time, not much crime, respect for the elderly and children, and I love the Island.
Why do Brits walk their dogs at 4 to 6.30 in the morning, crikey,it starts all the neighbouring dogs off?
why not at 6.30 iin the evening, when we're all awake. My gosh, when we were working, we had to get up at stupid o'clock,
it would be sooo nice to have a lay in, just once.
Don't live in the past, make new memories every day,

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 58 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I agree with lot of what you say PoshinDevon, but I note that you have not actually taken the plunge have you, and what ever you say you are still a visitor, whereas we live here permanently with no bolt holes to run back to. When push comes to shove it's not the same thing at all.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 32 of 58 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Sophie

With over 11+ years of living permanently on the island, plus a further year at least in holidays we feel we are very knowledgeable about the island, the way of life, its history during british rule, independance and then following the turkisg peace operation plus the many the issues and the problems that a young unrecognised state such as the TRNC comes up against.........plus of course all the good things.

We are not at retirement age so permanent residency is not an option. We made a decision that we wanted to spend as often as we could on the island so invested only what we could comfortably afford - so bought a small 2 bed apt.

We may come and live permanently, we may not but what we do know is we will be very well prepared by all the years we have spent living permanently on the island should we decide as you say to take the plunge! Indeed much more prepared than some I would suggest.

Some people research long and hard, some act on impulse - we are all different. For some it works for others it does not. You have to take life as it comes and in the words of Baden Powell - Be prepared.

North Cyprus is a jewel and long may it shine.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Sophie is right imho. I came out on holiday for several years, and spent a month self catering to test the water, and as I said in my earlier post I spent several living here but with a home to return to in the UK if I wanted. It wasnt until I truly burn my boats that I realised what total commitment meant.

I also totally agree with everything Flower Fairy said. As for morning, it is not just early morning dog walkers - I am a natural "owl" and I do regret the days (I am talking about Cyprus in the 60s) when everyone respected the siesta habit and then opened up again in the cool of the evening . Nowadays all the Brit "institutions" from Church through Library to Car Boots and markets take place in the mornings, often running through lunch time, meaning travelling in the noon day sun - talk about "mad dogs and Englishmen"!

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

PS I think, however, the answer to FFs query about early morning dog walking is that it is just too dangerous in the evening, particularly at the time of year when it is getting dusk at 6.30. Too many large cars. with the driver's attention focussed on getting to the nearest watering hole . make our narrow lanes and village streets (sometimes without pavements) make taking a walk in the evening with our without a dog on the lead a hazardous undertaking. I know - I was walking down the village street, wearing light coloured clothing, facing on coming traffic with dogs, in luminous collars, firmly at heel on my right between me and a high wall, when I was hit by the wing mirror of a car from behind. When I remonstrated the driver seemed to think I should not have been taking up road space. This is a village street twhere traditionally in the evening children play and the locals sit outside their houses and watch the world go by, or sroll up and down visiting each other.

stellasstar1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 58 in Discussion

Post by stellasstar1 »

I have lived here for 6 1/2 years, and still love it. Yes there have been a few little blips along the way, but then we had blips in England too. I shouldn't think anywhere is perfect. For health care, I would think it cheaper just to get on with it here and get whatever is wrong seen to quickly, than (if you can) keep travelling back and forth to England, to see your doctor, wait 3 months to get referral, wait another three months to see the surgeon,(get to England to find your appointment is changed at the last minute and you have to come back again) and wait another 3 months to go back for an operation. As for walking dogs at 6.30 in the morning - that's the best time of the day!, but then I have spent my life getting up around 6.30 in the morning, and my body automatically wakes up then. I couldn't sleep in if I wanted to.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

there are some good comments on here and I am sorry if I stand on any toes.

" It is a matter of attitude. If you expect England in the sun you will end up bitter and twisted. If you accept the differences and cope with the (many) frustrations, you will find a lot of good things to weight in the balance."

So true, so many become bitter twisted and if there glass is actually half full it will have been poisoned!

How can a house be priced realistically and not sell unless the price comes down 25%/ Surely that does not reflect the true state of the market?

There was a big boom pre Annan and loads bought, it is natural that after a sort of 7 year itch period some will move on, I have had friends do exactly this in Portugal, in Spain, in France and Turkey. Somewhere in the region of 25% of those that emigrate to Oz return to the UK.

Many who came here simply did not get their sums right, they did not account for inflation, when things went up it was the governments fault. Things go up all over the world why not here.

Most seem to be going back for medical reasons, just about everyone I know selling up is like that however one when talking to someone else I know said they were sick of the government here. It would seem people have different stories for different people dependent on whether they were talking to the half full or half empties.

I have given advice to several buying here. Don't buy off plan, don't buy unless the deeds are in the sellers name and the house is on the plan. In at least 2 of these cases my advice has been ignored and there have been problems. One sold on and has moved elsewhere here despite that the other will probably never be able to sell.

I still think it is a great place to live, my advice is keep positive, enjoy the life, the air, the scenery ignore the barking bloody dogs and the whingers and you will do OK. Buy carefully if you want to buy and don't forget, anywhere and everywhere in the world NOTHING stays the same.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 37 of 58 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Jonnie

My sentiments exactly.

Life is for living and its not a rehearsal.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 38 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Jonnie .... I stand and I applaud you.... well said.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

I have been told I live on another planet!

carolhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 58 in Discussion

Post by carolhm »

Maybe some people think north cyprus is another planet and if so great cos we love it here

paddywack
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 58 in Discussion

Post by paddywack »

A lot of ex pats cannot get their head round that they are living in the middle east and not Middle England.

ailletoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 58 in Discussion

Post by ailletoo »

Jonnie, msg 36.

Well said, exactly how I feel and it saved me a lot of typing!!!

Mel7348
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Mel7348 »

Jonnie - msg 36.

With you all the way.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 44 of 58 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

paddywack wrote:A lot of ex pats cannot get their head round that they are living in the middle east and not Middle England.
A few words but so very true - agree 100%

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 58 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Bravo Jonnie
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

rfs52a
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 58 in Discussion

Post by rfs52a »

IMHO, Jonnie's post should be compulsory reading for most who want to come and live out here.
Paddywack, post 41 is also spot on.

sylv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 58 in Discussion

Post by sylv »

I think I made comments on a previous post regarding living here. We are not sitting on the beach or lounging by the pool people. Actually can think of nothing worse. What we do miss are theatres, concerts (yes I know there is the Bellapais festival), the cinema, bookshops (and yes I know there is 1 maybe 2), In fact I think it is a cultural desert in many ways.

We are tired of the ineffeciency that exists everywhere on the Island. We worry about health care and from personal experience I know that not every treatment is available here that would be in other parts of Europe.

Having said all that I have no wish to return to the UK and neither do we plan to, but at least we shall leave here and go somewhere where a slightly more 1st world rather than 3rd world approach to life exists.

Its been an experience and we have learnt a lot, but time to move on (whilst we still can!).

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

Exactly my point about doing research.

Theatres, cinema, concerts. Well I am sorry but did you not realise there is not a West End or Broadway in downtown Girne. There are several bookshops in Lefkosa, the books are largely in Turkish though, who would have thought it. That said there are second hand books available at markets and you could get a kindle and download from Amazon. Healthcare is not great here, though it has only improved and the inefficiencies have been there for the last 8 years that I know about. They always used to, and may still, refer to Spain as a Manyana country because everything is tomorrow or yarin as we say here, plenty of places are like that, in the good old UK my sis to a week to connect her telephone, when they did it did not work and took 3 to sort out!

I do not want to sound harsh but if you had asked a few people you would have found out all these things before you got here, you can hardly blame the TRNC.

I was talking to someone last night who was complaining that some signs in highly ethnic areas in London were being written in Erdu (or similar) then 5 mins later he was complaining something here was not in English! I mean the cheek of it!

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 58 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

The grass is always greener!

Yes, it is easy to criticise the things that are wrong here, but it is still easier to forget the things that are wrong in the UK, maybe even those that we left it to get away from! You can' have everything and it is a personal choice as to what it important. And it is only natural to be a bit nostalgic - what is wrong is to let it ruin one's life and to criticise ones's hosts because they don't provide the lifestyle we are used to! I was watching the Last Night of the Proms last night and wishing I could be there - then I realised that even if I were in England I would be there - as a pensioner I doubt I could have afforded tickets - and certainly not not the fares and accommodation costs it would have involved!!! Its not so many years ago I couldn't have even watched the Proms on TV here!

As for bookshops and live threatre, yes I do miss those, but there were neither in the townI lived in - I had to travel for both and , as I was working then, rarely had the time even if I had the money to do so.

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 58 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

Certainly, people who move here ought to have some idea of what things are like here in relation to normal living. I found the life there generally very pleasant. Anyone who moves to TRNC without having a good look at the place first must be daft. Yes, I know, some do.
But people who have moved out and then found themselves subject to corruption, loss of house etc can hardly be blamed for changing their mind about the place.
So it is no good telling them that life in TRNC is wonderful. It certainly is for most, but not for them.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”