General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

libby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Big Fire in Bellapias Village last night

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by libby »

I woke up last night cos my dog was going mad - told him to be quiet - and tried to go back to sleep. We got up at 6 and went for a walk..i always walk through the village in the mornings..but on this occassion i headed for the hills instead. When I got home I went onto the balcony to hang the washing out and noticed loads of smoke, in the centre off the village. It looked like it was coming from the tree of idleness. I drove my daughter down to lemar for her school bus, and sure enough there was a fire engine and about 6 police cars. I told my friend at work - she knows people who work up there and she made a call. apparantly the fire started last night at 4am...it was still going at 7...and it has destroyed the Bell Tower restaurant....this is translated from turkish..so I may be alittle wrong. I will check it out when I go home. I don't think any one was hurt thankgod! Scarey stuuf.
When we were driving down out of Bellapais..we looked over to the Abbey..the site was amazing..you had the red sky of the sunrising..the abbey..and then all this smoke...that i have say looked almost magical at the time!
What a shame though...all the hard work..to be destroyed over night.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Big Fire in Bellapias Village last night

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

How aboslutely awful and what a dreadful shame. I cannot think which is the Bell tower? The one on the end overlooking the car park, or where? what on earth caused it I wonder. such a beautiful place and so historic that it seems a crime. But if you hear more details let us know, aqnd equally if I do, I will post here.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

libby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by libby »

yeah Marion - that"s the one - downstairs was a fab little bar - full of lovely bits and pieces...great music...lovely owner...i don't know full extent of the damage yet,,,,i will let you know....

Royalcorpsoftranspor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Royalcorpsoftranspor »

We are all waiting with baited breath.
Even though you see black clouds, there is always tomorrow when the sun will shine again

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I will try to getup with my camera today. What a rotten, rotten thing. There was a couple who came all the way from South africa and chose the Bell tower as the place to haqve a simple, sincere wedding ceremony. Of all the places in bellapais they chose that as the most romantic and right for them. It was a lovely occasion and the restaurant gave fine attention to them, picking freshflowers, putting rose petals across the table. i am sure the couple will be gutted, as they hold very special memories of th eplace (as no doubt so do many others).

wondrw what started it. I just HATE it when things get destroyed and it often seems that when man doesn't do it himself, mother nature does. Gr.............
Maid Marion of Malatya

libby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by libby »

let's hope the building is ok.......

libby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by libby »

it is very very very sad - the bell tower restaurant - the jewellery shop - and restuarant downstairs recently renmaed bella abbey - have all been destroyed. it was a serious fire - top and bottom totally gutted - the whole village still smells - i have never seen anything like it in real life. I saw one of the restaurant owners - he looked , understandly, totally gutted. No one knows how it started - there is a full investigation under way.......i don't think anyone was injured...but my - it is soooo sad.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

No one injured. Saw enis of kybele and he said it was an electric fault! At 4a.m.! reminds me of a fire in the south in a restaurant under where I lived. another electric fault - so said the police. fortunatley no one was harmed, but it was a nasty situation. But Bellapais will never be the same. Very sad to see. Went up there and took some pics.
Maid Marion of Malatya

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

Can you post the pics on here Please Marions ?

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

DSCN4982.JPG
Cor, just started to try to be clever, and failed. So I will now attach a picture of the place yesterday afternoon. If you enlarge it you will see closely the devastation. Every bot of woodwork is burnt, and metal work is bent and....... so very sad. Anyway hope you can see this. Not much good at uploading pics on here.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Royalcorpsoftranspor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Royalcorpsoftranspor »

That is a good photo Marion,
What an awful mess such a shame.
We are going up to Bellapais this evening for a meal in the Bella Moon, will have go and see the devastation.
Even though you see black clouds, there is always tomorrow when the sun will shine again

Aysesdaddy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Aysesdaddy »

What a mess. We were up at Tree of Idleness 2 weeks ago. I would imagine it would be impossible to rebuild. Very sad.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I don't think it is total despair. The lower stonework is mainly O.K, and I am sure the upper parts can be rebuilt as they were with ironwork etc. But it probably depends on the insurance money! It will take time but if done sensitively it can look just as beautiful as before. However, some of the statues etc are thje worse for wear.

the glass blower has lost his little home for now, but I expect he will be back in full force.

But so very, very sad. But it was the end of the season , and I am sure it can be rebuilt, and as no one was physically hurt, it could have definitely been worse.
Maid Marion of Malatya

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

Thanks for the pic Marions. How very sad such a beautiful piece of history destroyed, however thank god no one was seriously hurt.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”