Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

CatalkoyChris
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Little "mini buses" that drive around Girne area

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by CatalkoyChris »

Hi,
I am coming over in October with my mum to have a relaxing ten days before the winter sets in here in the UK.

As I have just recently bought a house over here I'm still learning the ropes.

How do those little buses work? I know they honk you as they drive past in case you want to get on.
Do they just pick you up and drop you off anywhere on the road?
Whats the general cost? I heard any journey costs 2 TL.

Also, whats the etiquette? Do you get out of you seat to get off the bus? Or shout?

Are they just in the Girne area? How do you tell where they are going (e.g. I live in Catalkoy, up the hill)?

Any other info about these buses would be great as I want to start using them this time round.

Chris
"Two heads are better than one!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

snowdrop
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Little "mini buses" that drive around Girne area

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by snowdrop »

Hi CC our place is seaside of Catalkoy, when hubby and I are out we have car hire but when me and daughter are out we use the little buses, weve only ever payed 2tl when using them. We normally wait opposite Supremes for a bus, they always flash their lights to see if we want them to stop and we get on and say we want to go to Girne. Sometimes we go straight there other times we do a tour up on of the villages and then to Girne. When we want to come back we go to the little bus station opposite the Court House, get on the bus that says Catalkoy and tell the driver we want to be off at Supremes, dead simple and cheap and cheerful. Last time we were in Girne we were making our way back to the bus station when our bus driver was on the roundabout and he saw us and started honking at us to see if we wanted to get on, so helpful and freindly, he stopped all the traffic to wait for us to reach the bus. Hope this is helpful to you.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Tell the driver where you want to be when you get on - they do have a price list in clear view, up near the driver's operating licence at the front, so if it is a long run, right to the end of the route, it should say if it will cost more than 2TL - & the driver certainly will, if you don't give him enough!

They will let you out or pick you up virtually anywhere, even doing little detours occasionally (and illegally!).

One habit they have, which is good to be aware of if you are driving behind one, is that if they are approaching a side road to one of the Hotels, they will slow down so that they can have a good look down the road for any prospective customers - and of course, if there are two buses on the same stretch of road, the one in front gets the passengers, so they constantly jockey for Pole Position, with sometimes hair-raising (and occasionally disastrous) results!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Be prepared for them to talk on their mobiles, shout to passing pedestrians, pull up suddenly, not use indicators and when they do you wonder if they know their R from L. Personal hygiene from some of your fellow passengers was the one thing that stopped me using a Dolmus at 4 years ago. Couldn't stand it in the summer!!!

CatalkoyChris
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by CatalkoyChris »

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Sophie, hopefully it will be better in October!
"Two heads are better than one!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”