Kibkommer
Kibkommer

LOCALS, DOG WALKERS AND TOURISTS BEWARE DANGEROUS ROTTWEILER

•   Message 1 of 32 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

LOCALS, DOG WALKERS AND TOURISTS BEWARE
DANGEROUS ROTTWEILER ON BELLAPAIS ROAD

This Rottweiler, which lives in the flat-roofed house on the
bend of the roundabout at the top of the main Bellapais Road is extremely vicious.
It recently charged across the road, causing cars to swerve to avoid it and attacked a
dog on a lead on the opposite pavement, inflicting horrific injuries (see photos).
It also bit the dog walker. A boxer dog also joined in. This is not the first time these dogs
have attacked other dogs and pedestrians. In any civilised Country, these dogs would have been put down.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED – FOR SAFETY’S SAKE AVOID WALKING ALONG THIS STRETCH OF ROAD

http://postimage.org/gallery/zbbglq2/

icklepix
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: LOCALS, DOG WALKERS AND TOURISTS BEWARE DANGEROUS ROTTWE

•   Message 2 of 32 in Discussion

Post by icklepix »

Ouch! I have been walking up there and only once have I seen that dog loose and that was enough, luckily the owners were in the garden and it didn't come far! The alsatians further up are also unpleasant, one day I am sure they will get through the gap in the fence.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Was this reported to the police? I know some folk say it is not worth it, but I do know of someone who did find thepolice helpful concerning a terrifying dog. Don't know the current state of play, but assume things are quieter. But in the interests of public safety this should have been reported, or is the owner as terrifying as the dog????
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 32 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

e-mail sent Marions

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Similar incident here, when a Pit Bull chased up my neighbours' drive and attacked their small dog.
(NOT a hunting dog, a mongrel presumably rescue)

Both owners were Cypriot. Police called and after a lot of argument went away with the man and pit bull. Heard afterwards owner claimed it had slipped its collar and chased a cat and wasnt prosecuted.. But I havnt seen the Pit Bull since so presumably he got a strong warning. Sometimes you have to accept they do things their way.

Sad thing was the small dog had a very bad gash and the owners couldnt afford vets fees, so guess who had to administer first aid. Anyway it seemed to survive my attentions and healed nicely and fur quickly covered the unstitched scar.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 32 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Its not just the physical damage these horrific dogs do to others, it's the mental. Dogs that have been friendly, welcoming dogs can change to nervous wrecks (not to mention the owners) We have a woman in our road (a solicitor) who has 20 (yes 20 at the last count) dogs in an garden of far less than half a donum. Police won't help, nor Alsancak Beledye, she's a solicitor you see!! Noone takes their dogs for walks down there anymore, and I won't go past the house unless I'm in the car.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

There are dogs that strike my heart with terror. One here. i am told it is harmless but when it ran towardsmy dog and almost went for her I felt fear. Fortunately the owner and two other men grabbed it. It was not on a lead and it is one of those ENORMOUS Alsation types. I am terrified to take my dog out (always on a lead) for walks because this is a one eyed town and if you meet something there is no sidestepping.
I am not paranoid but careful, or as they used to say in Oz 'Be alert but not alarmed.'!
Is KAR aware of all these events of which you speak. I kow some people say they are useless, but they are NOT - they are volunteers with a mammoth task.They do however haqve good conversations with the authorities, and things such as those mentioned above should be put in the melting pot of the KAR files. It could help in the end.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Hippocampus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Hippocampus »

Wise words, Marions. Sadly, irrisponsible dog ownership is a problem worldwide, and one of the downsides of promoting a pride in one's animal in this country has been the steep rise in the number of "bully" breeds, owned by people who see them as a status symbol or as an extension of their own personalities, not as a well controlled part of the family. This is likely to worsen further, as said people start to breed their dogs indiscriminately and flog them.

You are so right to advise people to report dangerous or rowdy dogs, only then will the problem be recognised and acted upon. That rottweiler sounds as though it could well attack somebody's toddler next time.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

I do so agree with Hippo - the "bully" breeds are not just dangerous for the vulnerable, but give the wrong message about dogs generally to the detriment of more amenable breeds and their responsible owners. I also understand that dogs are now being bought and bred for fighting, and that dangerous breeds that are proscribed by law, are being reproduced by cross breeding (eg. a bull dog with a terrier) It would be so much better if pressure was put on the Gvt. to deal with this rather than pressurising responsible owners of well controlled dogs..

Sorry, Marion, to disagree,and I certainly dont want to start an argument about KAR, but I have had and witnessed so many bad experiences with KAR I do not trust them to handle it properly. Fortunately in the case I quoted it was not my decision, as the dog's owner (who of course spoke Turkish) reported direct to the Police.

rowan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 32 in Discussion

Post by rowan »

your experience with KAR may be negative but let us not forget all the positive experiences others have had. Dont want to start any arguements but just to try to get a balance

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Agree rowan. Unfortunately there are always tales pro and against of all organisations. Take hospitals, dentists, doctors etc in U.k , with comments from 'marvellous place' to 'Don't ever let me go there'. I know that some people feel KAR should do more, and I think they would love to, but like manyof us in our every day lives they are restricted by money and man power.
Plus of course, if good can come out of any action then it is worth doing.
And RR, of course you can disagree with me. It would not do if we all thought the same, but the diverse opinions are just colours of the rainbow of human thought. But I feel that ALL the charities here do their best to plug gaps in the community to help, whether for humans or animals. it would be good if charities did not need to exist, but they are not God, only His imperfect representatives and so mistakes get made.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Rowan: It is difficult to get a balance when everything I have experienced - both at first and second hand has been negative and there is no way I can get a hearing, but this is probably not the place to try. The problem with animal related issues is that people react emotionally instead of facing facts and support an animal charity because animals are cute and they think it loooks good, without taking the trouble to find out the real objectives and actions.. But I am sure the mods here would ban me if I got involved in an argument about KAR (and it is slightly ot) so lets just leave it, I wouldnt report to them and I am basing that an experience. However, and perhaps this is a balance, I doubt there is much they could do if they wanted - it is correct they do not have the powers of the RSPCA

Reporting to the Police is a different matter - but if done it should be unemotional and backed by evidence that a crime has been committed or that people are at risk. There is a risk that they will write it off as another hysterical outburst by someone who dislikes and resents dogs.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I know what you are saying RR, and life can be so ......... tough sometimes. However, as far as the police go, I agree with you, and let's face it, if you, working in the police station were to get a report of one incidence form one person, you might not take it too seriously, but if one has photos, witnesses and more than one case to report, they do follow up. At least I know of cases where this happens.

What might be interesting is if anyone reading this thread knows of any other people who felt intimidated, or threatened by this dog and are prepared to add their voice to the original posters.

i am sure that owuld help, but I equally understand that a lot of people don't want to get involved. But it then becomes proof that 'Evil prevails while good men stand by and do nothing.'
Maid Marion of Malatya

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

What we need to know is whether this Rotweiler is normally allowed to run free, or whether this was an isolated incident. And whether it is neutered, because if the answers are Yes andNo, think about the sort of stray dog pack we are going to have in a couple of years.

I dont know if you read the opposition, Marion, but there was correspondence earlier this year by the lady whose Rotty won second prize in the KAR show. She claimed properly handled they were gentle dogs and bad handling was responsible for their bad press. Possibly, mm, but they are very big strong dogs and very few people are capable of training and handling them - I certainly wouldnt want to try. If a Cyprus Terrier gets out of control, ( and any dog can :fits, fear, pain) a reasonably healthy adult can use physical force if necessary to retrain it. Even the police wear body armour when training and demonstrating Rotties.

Didnt really mean to start this but this is one of my objections. To my mind a Charity supposedly devoted to the care of strays should be discouraging the ownership of large , potentially dangerous dogs, not awarding prizes, however well trained an individual animal may be. And according to this lady I gather there were other big dogs there that werent properly controlled.. No doubt they will claim the shows bring in much needed money, but to my mind this is short sighted - the current trend to large imported pedigrees will store up more trouble and cost for thefuture when people get tired of them, or cant, afford them and they join the strays. Better surely to devote limited resources to tackling this problem, than put silly conditions on rescueing small street dogs

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 32 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

This thread was not a discussion on the pro's and cons of what KAR can and cannot do. Before you put pen to paper again on this forum I would suggest that you walk a mile in KAR's shoes and perhaps you would not carry on with your continual carping of a charity which is doing it's best under very, very difficult cirumstances. If we lived in the country that objected to pit bulls and the like, they under law they could probably do something. BUT although it is supposed to be illegal to import such dogs, it is not illegal to breed them in the TRNC. Make what you will of that.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

This is exactly what I mean. Disagree with KAR or describe a bad experience and one is subject to abuse. So much for freedom to discuss one's point of view. I am becoming afraid to enter any thread mentioning dogs. I wish I could walk in KAR's shoes Sophie, unfortunately not only am I physically unable to walk any distance, but what walking I can do is ruined by the need to protect my dogs (strays rescued from the street and neutered etc. at my expense not KAR's)from various dangers.

AS far as I am concerned the thread is about the risk caused by uncontrolled and dangerous dogs and it is not possible to talk about that without involving the role of animal charities. If you actually read what I said you will see that I am aware of the legal situation and this is why it is necessary for those at risk , including animal carers, to advise and help each other on what can and cannot be done.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

It is an accepted fact that animals and animals rights is a very emotive subject, and also any charity that works to help. even in U.K there are differing thoughts of opinion, But I think this thread is more to do with a warning and does not really involve KAR.

But what I would like is anyone who is reading this thread, or knows of anyone who has experienced any problems with this particular dog in this particular place to pm me (they can bve anonymous if they wish) but I would like to get a clearer picture of how often this dog man ages to escape its garden.

thanks in advance for any info.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Oops, forgot to say that one of the problems with a forum is that one cannot see the face of the writer, not experience the tone of voice, so sometimes comments can come across and be understood in a different vein to what they were intended.
Perhaps it is better that if anyone has really strong feelings on subjects (and I guess we all do form time to time) is that it is dealt with through a p.m. or e mail.

I find it very difficult sometimes to express what I want to say in a tone I wish it to be heard and with understanding of the vocabulary when it is the written word.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Point taken, Marion, and perhaps how to use forums without giving offence to indididuals could be addressed on a separate thread. I found a certain remark very hurtful and totally unecessary..
Keeping off related subjects is more difficult as I tried to indicate.

Back to topic - I agree it would be positive if more could be found above about this dog. I believe if evidence can be provided the Police will act - but like the British Police they cant act on unsubstantiated allegations, Actually I am not entirely clear which roundabout is meant, but it seems not an area I regularly visit so I am afraid I cant help there

ruftysdad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 32 in Discussion

Post by ruftysdad »

Marions,

Is the German Shepherd one of two? If so I know where it comes from. ie from the Greatstone houses.

If it is this dog pm me. To remind you, you came to see us for coffee and I left you food for the stray cat

ruftysdad

Munchkin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Munchkin »

I also know where these dogs are and they are a serious danger to the public, they are not kept under control which to me is obvious if you look at the horrendous pictures, yes there's alsatians further along that road and they also roam the streets in the same manner as this dangerous rottweiler, this stretch of road is a regular tourist walking route to Bellapais can the tourist trade seriously afford dangerous dog breeds to be roaming free looking for victims along this stretch of road? (or any stretch of road) if you think these breeds are cuddly cute animals you just look at the link below this could easily happen here and will given time if the authorities don't take control of the dangerous breeds that are being bred by inexperienced people.

The dogs involved in the attack above should be destroyed.

http://www.ukandspain.com/dangerous-dogs/

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 32 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

UPDATE ON ROTTWEILER ATTACK - SOME ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS RAISED BY FORUM MEMBERS

The attack WAS reported to Girne police. A statement was taken, together with a copy of the vet's bill for the emergency operation..
The policeman seen - a Detective Hadil - was sympathetic but more or less said that nothing could be done. He did, however, (armed with
a handgun) go with the complainants to confront the dogs' owner, who showed no concern whatever and refused to pay the vet's bill.
We have since learned from the Bellapais Muchtar that there is no law in the TRNC appertaining to the breeding or putting down of
dangerous dogs. In many countries this rottweiler would have been put down, but not here. This, in our opinion, is what should have
happened. This rottweiler has attacked before and doubtless will attack again.

By the way, just to clarify, this incident happened at the big roundabout at the top of the Bellapais Road , past the Turkcell
building on the left and opposite the water tower foothpath.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Time the law was changed then, isn't it. The law exists that one may not be cruel to an animal and there are punishments including imprisonment, so I reckon a law should exist to punish animals that are cruel to humans or other animals. But where does one start. Maybe a suggestion to KAR to talk to the government on this. I know some people are not too keen on KAR but they do have an 'in' with the government that we individuals do not.

So how about we/me/you suggest this to KAR. It doesn't help the present situation, but...

Also I suggest you keep in close contact with the police and at the whiff of anything amiss, get them to chase up. anoother angle of course if that if you can see the owner is being cruel to the animal in question, then the law can punish him!

tis a pity that the law is a ass - in this case it seems to be a rottweiller.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 24 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

There is always something that the police can charge someone with - but they do need to want to charge them with something...

For instance, just off the top of my head - If the dog has a past history of attacking, the owners can't claim that they thought that it was harmless can they? They could then be charged with 'reckless endangerment' or some such. And no doubt a lot more...

I bet they wouldn't have got off so lightly if it was a Policeman's own dog that was attacked, or his son or mother - they'd be throwing the book at the dog owner!

geroff
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 32 in Discussion

Post by geroff »

Why doesn't the 'Cyprus Star Paper' run this story, it surely might get action then wouldn't it? The owners of these dogs possibly dont' read the forums. So its not getting to the correct people is it ....

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

We have been holding fire on this one in order not to jeopardise any case that the complainant has. I am this week putting in my Musings about the dangers of these dogs in general etc, etc and pics of the poor animal, but I am not putting names at this stage. I am sure you appreciate that to run the story prematurely could make things more difficult for wotnodeeds, and I would not want to do that. |But as a stale mate seems to have arrived, then I think the public should know that the only danger to animals is not through humans and poison, but humans who do not have the same understanding of pet ownership as we have.
But thanks for making the point. You are absolutely spot on.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

There are laws about importing dangerous dogs but there appears to be a loophole about breeding them. I raised it with KAR some time ago but their response was - to put it very mildly - unhelpful. I also wrote to a rival paper - no one was interested. What a chance to say"told you so" so I will refrain.

KAR (I didnt raise the suject) just do not understand how carefully laws must be drafted and in in my view (even IF their intentions are good) do more harm than good and I will not support asking them to talk to the Govt.. Will give details if I am given indemnity against attacks (not to mention banning)

Lets face it we have to accept where we live and the Police have other priorities. Seems to me there is a very good CIVIL case for damages which would serve toissue a warning, but you would need an expert lawyer and think of the time and cost!

I suspect Keith may have in mind a common law principle in the UK where if you keep something instrinsically dangerous on your property you are liable for damage caused if it escaped regardless of whether you were negligent. (ie if you took reasonable precautions to prevent its escape) but that is getting a bit too sophisticated and is civil not criminal law and may not even apply here. Better to rely on negligence - ie prove it has escaped several times and attacked people.

Are Rotweilers classed as dangerous dogs (my earlier concern was about Pit Bulls actually bred for fighting) . I am pretty sure Alsations arent.

Imho far better to concentrate on educating people in care and control of animals - and counter this stupid fasion for big powerful dogs as status symbols (an area where KAR COULD have influence!).

billywiz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 32 in Discussion

Post by billywiz »

I have a rotty bitch which i brought from the uk. TRNC does not class them as a dangerous dog, there are only a few airlines that will fly them amoungst other so called dangerous dogs. What i think happens here from what i have seen is that people have these big dogs as they are very cute when puppies,then they grow and grow. They don,t know how to care or train these dogs so when they become aggresive they lock them in a run and don,t even walk them not alone train the dog. This is where you get the escaped dog on the street that is not socialised and wants to bite everthing in sight, i totally agree that these dogs are dangerous, but lets not tar all of them with the same brush. personally i think if the dog is locked up 24-7 that is no life for the animal and should be put down if it is to old to train and the costs go to the owner,
i,m sure there will be a lot of you that disagree with me and say that its not the dogs fault and that is true, but lets not tempt fait but its next victim could be a child or an old person that can,t defend themselves.
I know how powerful these dogs are when only playing let alone when they have been cage for god knows how long. Thankfully my bitch is as dull as a brush and thats the way i have brought her up, you,ve got to start when they are young and stick to the training.
Just my opinion what do you all think

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Well said , Billy, this is what I keep trying to get over. ANY dog can turn vicious if kept in those circs. but whereas a small dog can be controlled something like Rotweiler is too large, heavy and strong for all but the most experienced owner. We need to change the mindset of people who think it is clever to show off with large dogs and that it gives them power, whereas they cant actually control it are they and the family are at risk - as has sadly been demonstrated in the UK

We should try to persuade people that having a smaller, more amenable breed propertly trained is so much smarter - and that some of the rescue dogs are so attractive - I have too presumed cross breeds from the streets that are mistaken - by people who know - for pedigrees.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

It has been said there are no bad dogs, only bad owners, and I think one can see the truth of that in many places, particularly here.
However, the matter must be dealt with for the safety of those who live in the vicinity of these poor animals. I know if I were caged up 24/7 I just might bring out my dark side permanently. !

and as to getting dogs from Rescue centres, I went with my brother once to Battersea Dogs Home as he wanted another dog (already had two) and he chose some poor creature cowering in a corner. Poor thing. But when we got in the street, it ran for its life! It was caught, but my brother had many troubled years with the thing, even though he loved it and cared for it, . It was obviously psychologically disturbed and although never hurt anyone, it was certainly a huge challenge to my brother.

I do hope that reforms can be made. I do appreciate that not all dogs can be branded with the same reputation just becauswe of its breed, no more than one can brand any human race as any worse than any other. But obviously the bigger the creature the greater the danger if it is not a happy 'bunny' Maybe even dnosaurs were sweet creatures, but their mere size would be a terrifying!
Maid Marion of Malatya

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

I now have a wonderful picture in my mind with a sort of Disney big soft friendly dinosaur trying to get Marion to pat and stroke it ,, and Marion running for her life!

I cant really help or suggest more than I have about this particular case, except to again gently advise that if you can give the Police as much hard evidence as poss. they are more likely to be able toa act - would apply anywhere in fact. However I think imag and training of dogs is so important to avoid getting told off again for being led ot, I am starting a new thread.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 32 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

What a lovely image RR. In fact you never know I might be able to use some animal psychology and adopt a dinosaur - although my home is too small, but a commodious cave might do!

I agree that it is important to keep the police in the picture. were I a policeman I might not take too seriusly one complaint, butt if there was obviously a real problem because of the number and depth of cmplaints then I might feel I could act. As they say 'a policeman's lot is not a happy one' and I am sure thatapplies out here too.

One thing I am confident of though is the fact that through this forum one can see that there is support and friendship out theere, justby sharing something on here, so that has to be worth having.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”