General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Poppy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Water meters

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Poppy »

Hi does anyone know where you can purchase a water meter other than the local belediye. I ask this because the new meters are card meters. It appears you have to pre pay for your water by topping up the card so no more being able to pay through the bank and all for the price of 320 lira for the meter alone. Thanks

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Water meters

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

I think you will find only the Belediye are the only ones who can fit water meters, it's like the electric meter only Kibtec can fit electric meters

barrysnakes
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by barrysnakes »

I agee with Halfful. The total cost of a water meter from Girne Belediyesi in May this year was 1622tl. Regards, Mrs Snakes.

Poppy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Poppy »

Many thanks it seems it is as we suspected. Just one question for Barrysnakes was the amount you paid for connection or just a replacement meter?

barrysnakes
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by barrysnakes »

Poppy, we paid a local odd job man to connect it. I dont think the Belediyesi get involved in the connection side of things but you could enquire? Kind regards, Mrs Snakes

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

The Belediye fit the meter to their side of the water but do not connect it to your pipework, you are responsible for the pipework your side of the meter, the Belediye are responsible for the pipework up to the meter. I can't help you with costs as it was the builders responsibility to have it connected

Poppy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for the reply. We have had a water meter for approx 8 years, but it has stopped working so we need to replace it. I am just hoping it will not cost a much as Mrs Snakes as that seems an awful lot if it was for only the meter, perhaps I misunderstood.

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

Have you been to the belediye as I think you will find that it is their problem and job to replace it if it has stopped working, if your lucky they will have an old type one in stock

barrysnakes
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by barrysnakes »

I agree with Halffull again! A large part of the amount we paid was for the deposit (1000tl) which I presume you have already paid and the Belediye would replace it, maybe a small charge if it has stopped working. Regards, Mrs Snakes

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Poppy- msg 7-If your water meter has stopped working, and assuming you are still getting water,I would if I were you 'play dumb' and leave well alone.
I think you should maybe regard it as a major bonus!

Poppy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Poppy »

Sorry Philoz but to ignore it is to me a form of stealing.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Poppy, your honesty and integrity is admirable in this day and age.
However it seems a bit unfair that you have to pay for a new meter if yours is faulty, or the wrong type as previous posts have alluded to.
If you are a low water user, I think I am right in saying that the basic monthly cost automatically includes several tons of water (sorry,can't remember how much).
So, what I was getting at is that if your usage falls under the monthly limit, and they want to charge you for a new meter,then just stick with paying the basic monthly cost in the knowledge you are not stealing or ripping anyone off.
If you are a big user of water(over and above the monthly limit)then from a point of view of being comfortable with your conscience, then I guess you should get a new meter-and I suspect you are forced to buy one off the beli.

Poppy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Poppy »

Well been to the beli and it appears that you do now have to have a card meter. They will fit it on Monday and we get a card that we have to pre pay for the water etc. so no longer able to pay through the bank, seems to be going backwards to me but if that is the system then so be it.

Of forgot to say also had to part with 324 lira

Philoz I hear what you are saying, but when they read the meter they put a note on saying broken, I cannot imagine they would leave it like that for long. I am sure that if you did not replace the meter then eventually they would cut your water supply off and then it would cost an awful lot more to get reconnected.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”