General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

SOME GOOD NEWS FROM STATE RETIREMENT PENSION PEOPLE

•   Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

I am flabergasted to receive today a U turn on the earlier reply I got from SRP regarding additional allowances etc for SRP recipients in TRNC. I also got an apology for the fact that the previous reply sent to me a week ago was wrong. I post below the e-mail I got today. This should also apply to all the Kibkomer SRP recipients as well. I decided to post this as a new thread to ensure the widest audience on KibKom got to see the current situation with egards to index linking, fuel allowance & Christmas bonus. I would also advise that I have also added another report from IExpat that was issued yesterday regarding Winter Fuel Allowances and the devious plans afoot - that is now on my other thread Winter Fuel Allowance.

Anyway here is the e-mail I got today from SRP:-

Dear Mrs Taylor
Thank you for contacting the International Pension Centre with your email dated 29 October 2012.
I have looked at your enquiry and took this up with our Reciprocal agreement section. For all Turkey is a frozen rate country where the increases can not be granted, Northern Cyprus (although governed by the Turkish Authorities) is as you rightly say now within the EU remit and therefore your pension would qualify for the annual increases to be applied. I hope this is satisfactory and we appologise for the earlier misunderstanding. You will also be applicable for the annual Christmas bonus payment and invited to claim winter fuel allowance. If you do decide to move, please contact us with the new details and we will furnish you with the details for claiming winter fuel allowance.
Yours sincerely

Yes, that was written by an official, spelling mistakes and grammatical errors as well - but hey I still like what I am being told ---but for how long??? Read the IExpat report on my other thread I posted today for details of skullduggery and stupid comments from the bigwigs.

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: SOME GOOD NEWS FROM STATE RETIREMENT PENSION PEOPLE

•   Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

but were not in the EU !
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

andrew4232 wrote:but were not in the EU !
Well.....we are.....and we aren't

guru
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Post by guru »

North Cyprus IS classed as being in the EU because the rest of the world except Turkey still recognizes the ROC as the government for the whole island and as they entered the EU in 2004 (I think!) the North is in the EU. The only difference is that the 'Acquis Commutaire' (european laws etc) is suspended in the North.

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

Yes Gura exactly right as per the reeply from SRP. As the world & EU does not recognise TRNC as having anything to do with Turkey we therefore come under Cyprus's flag as far as they are concerned

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

So as we are definately in the EU are we now entitled to get free medical treatment in the UK.

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

Very good point foodie ??

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

I think there is a glitch there and for free NHS treatment you must reside in the UK, as a British national living abroad your sort of in limbo I think, you don't qualify as a UK resident and you don't qualify locally as your a foreign national (I think? )

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

With regards to the medical question might be wonder if they would issue residents with TRNC addresses the EHIC card?

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

I phoned the department dealing with pensions and the cold weather payment and when I explained my address although the young lady was not sure where Cyprus was!!! She consulted with her manager and told me that Mersin 10 Turkey was known to be Northern Cyprus and an entitled area
She offered to post me the forms to apply and told me that the rules might change next year although she knew no more

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

I would say that they are playing their cards close to their chests with regards to "possible changes next year". As per the 2 x IExpat reports that dealt with plans to changes winter fuel allowances and using a temperature rule then I think they are definitely sitting on their big shiny ..... plotting & drawing up new qualifying criteria. Those 2 articles are copied & pasted in full on my other thread if anyone has not seen them.

Go get it now I say, and we will all keep our fingers crossed that we continue to get it again next year and the years afterwards......... at least we will be warm this winter. Next year we may find we can do inside our houses

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Anna Msg one-Well done!, you have got an answer (In writing -but by email I concur) which backs up an argument which has been going on in various NC forums for ages.

Don't ever lose that email for gods sake!

My understanding is that the whole of the island was grated EU status-I suppose you would need to be a legal expert though(Which I am not),to get your head round whether it applies to the north or not.

On the matter of being an 'Expat'-or 'non resident in the UK' to give it it's proper name.

In another life in the UK I was an IFA- I had many clients whose tax situation was advantageous If they could prove they were non UK resident;You really would not believe the lengths you have to go to to convince the UK tax authorities to prove you are 'Non domiciled'-one of the tips I picked up was to 'buy' a funeral plot in your chosen country!

I think most UK retirees biggest worry who reside here though is regards medical treatment via the NHS.

My suggestion here would be to make sure you are still registered with your local tax office as eligible to pay tax in the UK.
And keep submitting your tax returns even if you have no UK Income whatsoever.
That way you will still have an active NI number,and tax office reference number which I believe is the key to obtaining NHS treatment (for which you have probably contributed for for many years).

In conclusion, the UK authorities cannot have it both ways-You have to jump through a lot of hoops to convince them you don't live in the UK(In order to save tax)-But If you move abroad for personal reasons, they then try to deny you the medical care that you have paid for all your working life,by Claiming you are non resident,a status which is difficult to obtain if they think you are trying to cheat them out of tax.

All credit to Anna, who has been tenacious and has obtained an answer to a question that has bothered many expats that live here full time.

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

Hi Philoz Thanks for the supportive post. That's me - a Scorpio. I am like a dog with a bone when I deal with bureaucratic injustice. Yes the e-mail is securely saved in more than one place. As for your advice about staying 'attached' to the UK tax man - I am. My pensions are above the personal limit so I am paying 80UKP a month in taxes. So. as you say they can't have their cake and eat it. I pay tax I should therefore get my NHS treatment!!!.

What makes me feel so really good about the result I received is that it was great to post and let all in TRNC know they are entitled to. Topping on the cake (no pun intended).

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

NHS is nothing to do with paying taxes it is being resident in the UK I believe. People say they would never live or go back to the UK again but would go back for NHS treatment,

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Woodspeckie- I know you are right,I was just trying to highlight the analogy that you can be UK resident for taxation-and live abroad
,but If the NHS get wind of the fact you have moved abroad,they give you the cold shoulder.
The NHS and UK taxation are different, but still parts of the UK Gov- and indeed one is funded by the other.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Oops sorry-I meant anomaly -not analogy- DOH!

TRNCVaughan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

Post by TRNCVaughan »

Given the taxation issues it is strange that HMRC considers TRNC to be OUTSIDE the EU for VAT purposes. Hence, if you buy a new car for "personal export" to TRNC you do not pay VAT on it (nor do you pay road tax either, for some reason).

zarafet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Post by zarafet »

That's probably because you can't legally import a car from UK to TRNC so in fact it is to Turkey (outside EU) and then you are sending it from Turkey to TRNC. Much like flights having to go to Turkey first and then flying from Turkey.

TRNCVaughan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Post by TRNCVaughan »

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

The NHS have stated quite categorically both in writing and verbally to my husand and myself that the TRNC is most definitely not in the EU as far as they are concerned and neither of us are entitled to EU benefits. The UK Government Departments clearly are not singing in unison on this one and are not likely to do so.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Sophie-you need to get a copy off Anna of her email-clearly the UK Gov are not singing of the same 'hymn sheet'.
I think there is justification for a 'class action ' legal suite in order to sort these discrepancies out once and for all.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Oh yes I agree there, but where do you start. However I spoken to two people today who have just applied for their winter fuel allowance and their Xmas bonus and there is every likeliohood that they will get them. I did have a letter isued to me some years back when we first moved here (but I can't find it now) that said to all intents and purposes "it is cheaper for HM Government to blanket that particular age group with these benefits, rather than check on 100,000's of individual peoples circumstances and whereabouts. They had neither the money or personel.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

annanirvanna wrote:I am flabergasted to receive today a U turn on the earlier reply I got from SRP regarding additional allowances etc for SRP recipients in TRNC. I also got an apology for the fact that the previous reply sent to me a week ago was wrong. I post below the e-mail I got today. This should also apply to all the Kibkomer SRP recipients as well. I decided to post this as a new thread to ensure the widest audience on KibKom got to see the current situation with egards to index linking, fuel allowance & Christmas bonus. I would also advise that I have also added another report from IExpat that was issued yesterday regarding Winter Fuel Allowances and the devious plans afoot - that is now on my other thread Winter Fuel Allowance.

Anyway here is the e-mail I got today from SRP:-

Dear Mrs Taylor
Thank you for contacting the International Pension Centre with your email dated 29 October 2012.
I have looked at your enquiry and took this up with our Reciprocal agreement section. For all Turkey is a frozen rate country where the increases can not be granted, Northern Cyprus (although governed by the Turkish Authorities) is as you rightly say now within the EU remit and therefore your pension would qualify for the annual increases to be applied. I hope this is satisfactory and we appologise for the earlier misunderstanding. You will also be applicable for the annual Christmas bonus payment and invited to claim winter fuel allowance. If you do decide to move, please contact us with the new details and we will furnish you with the details for claiming winter fuel allowance.
Yours sincerely

Yes, that was written by an official, spelling mistakes and grammatical errors as well - but hey I still like what I am being told ---but for how long??? Read the IExpat report on my other thread I posted today for details of skullduggery and stupid comments from the bigwigs.
The UK has a social security agreement with Turkey and ex-pats get the increase in pension also the winter fuel payment if they were getting it in the UK before they moved to live permanently in Turkey.

TRNCVaughan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Post by TRNCVaughan »

I think the point is that some UK gov departments do recognise that the TRNC does, de facto, exist and that it is a part of Cyprus and therefore the EU, whereas other departments recognise its existence but consider it to be part of Turkey.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Although I am now just over 65, I have been drawing a full military pension for 10 years ( issued at 55 ) in The TRNC.
This pension has had the increases every year along with the taxes.
As stated by TRNCVaughan Turkey has a agreement with the UK on taxes, so we get the increases.
I was told as I had not applied for winter fuel allowance before a date I cannot remember but was about 5 years ago, before I was 56 I was not entitled, I have never tried to get the Xmas bonus.

Mel.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

Entitlement to WFP depends on your circumstances in the qualifying week for winter 2012/2013 is 17-23rd September 2012 the form then asks for name & address where you live now and a national insurance No. Asks if you got WFP when you were in UK and when you started to live outside the UK, and have you a residence in the UK which you ordinarily live in.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Woodspekie.

I have lived outside the UK for more than 20 yrs, the information I have just posted about wfp was sent to me when I was sent the forms for my OAP.

The UK tax office knows I live in the TRNC and do not have a UK address as does the central pay office for HM forces so I do not think I would get WFP, but I get all other increases as they are given after the Budget.

Mel.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”