General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Excellent Response

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

Just like to say that I have seen some negative posts on here but I Emailed Bracey Builders: http://www.braceybuilders.com with an enquiry this morning, had a response from Kirk within half an hour, then telephone conversation followed by a site visit within two hours of first email. Very good site visit and obvious grasp of my problem fully explained what would be done and what was required.
Mind you I don't know whether to or now I know the

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Excellent Response

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

There is a lot of negative, or it appears that way I feel because people do not often post as you do the good things. We have used the same maintenance builder and plumbers for over 6 years because they always do a good job and come out at short notice in emergencies.

It is human nature to moan about the bad things, to me it is often a good way just to "get it off your chest".

Art
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Art »

I entirely agree.

We only ever hear about the unsuccessful property related court cases - never the successful ones or the ones settled out of court.

I understand that over 80% of these cases are in fact settled without going through the full judicial process and yet we only get to know the cases which go against us ex-pats.

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

I remember posting a while back that maybe we should have a forum dedicated to praising good shops, tradesmen or services. That way we can let all our KibKom friends know who is good, provides the best service and gives customer satisfaction. It also rewards good shops, services suppliers etc., as well with hopefully increased business from positive recommendations found here on a designated KibKom site.

Maybe we could call it "Thumbs Up" or something else by popular demand

So I suppose that is down to Soner if he is willing to allow this

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

I never reccomend a service providor, be it builder, restaurant, whatever because my experience may have been good but the next person may get bad service and come back and moan.

I have favourite restaurants for example where we always have good meals and good service but others have said the food is rubbish and service lousy. Often it is personal percepeption,there was nothing on the menu they liked so what they ate was not going to be enjoyable.

I would never put anything into such a forum and many I know say the same.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Annavirvanna, in business you can not satisfy everyone so there will be conflicting messages. I have a web business which I have not had to advertise in the last 6 years, reason being that the vast majority of my clients are happy with services provided and for that reason refer me to other businesses who in turn contact me, I develop their website and then they refer my services to their acquaintences. However, I am sure that over the the last 12 years there are a handful that would run my business down if they had the chance, and it only takes a few to ruin a businesses reputation. That all being said, not too sure if what you are requesting would be a good idea, most people try hard to develop their business and try to provide a great services, but sometimes people do not see eye to eye, and with Cyprus being a small island....... I could go on.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

deputydawg
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by deputydawg »

I too find there is a large degree of trepidation involved in making recommendations as when it comes to services such as restaurant food the variables seem to be endless. Not only is it one man's meat is another man's poison but things such as a change of chef or a very much busier period than management expected can often mean a poor experience follows the delight of earlier very satisfactory experiences at the same venue. One meal I did enjoy, for all the wrong reasons, was when I ordered a mild curry, and spent the next 2 hours mopping sweat from my brow with every napkin I could get hold of whilst quaffing every drink on the table. When the waiter subsequently asked me if I wanted any more to eat I told him "only if it is a fire engine". My friends, for some reason, still talk about the night out and think what happened to me was hilarious even though they did not enjoy their meals. Nowt as queer as folk.
"profound ? A bird can sing with a broken wing, but, one can't pluck feathers off a frog!

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Deputy-Please will you tell me where you get the hot curry from?
No matter how hot I ask for it here It's usually very tasty,but not got that 'Ouch' to it.(As In Sitting on the Japanese flag the next morning).

On the subject of restaurant recommendation's generally-I totally agree that food is a very subjective thing,and as per a previous post I have stopped recommending restaurants to others-Especially after 4 friends all got food poisoning at one of my recommendations.

However I think when It comes to services here generally,I think a previous posters suggestion of a 'Thumbs up' section for local trades people is a great idea-as In Plumbers/general builders/electricians/painters and decorators etc.
An aside to this idea is that they would have to prove(somehow?) that they are legal and not dodgy expats working on the cheap for cash.

I know of Kirk from Bracey as he used to post on '44' and He made a big point of stating that he was not necessarily the cheapest, but he was legal and licensed here.

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

Please note I did not recommend anyone I just related how good a reaction I got from an enquiry I made, I was praising the response to my inquiry, I have no idea how good the company is at doing a job, but I thought it worth a mention after all the bad press

deputydawg
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by deputydawg »

Philoz. And there was I thinking I could get away with a post not mentioning all the side aspects of a curry overdose. Are you a fan of Johnny Cash and "ring of fire" ? The restaurant is Nosheens which can be found on the coastal road West of the Alsancak Golden Lady statue junction by a few hundred metres. To be fair to the restaurant when I ate a further meal there I avoided using the term "mild" and ordered "not too hot" and that time the meal was fine and perhaps what most might describe as medium hot. I dare you to ask for a Vindaloo ! As most seem to agree it can be difficult to make recommendations regarding restaurants. It is nearly a year since I was last there and it may well close in the Winter Season or now be out of business so you may need to seek more current advice. If it is open, and unless things have changed, when we went there with friends who wanted European food which was shown on the menu including steak they could only ever produce scampi in batter and nothing else. Enjoy. For the ex military "Standby for a controlled explosion in minutes ? as Philoz has ordered a Vindaloo"
"profound ? A bird can sing with a broken wing, but, one can't pluck feathers off a frog!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

deputydawg wrote:...I dare you to ask for a Vindaloo !...
...and then spend a long time " In da Loo"

Mel7348
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Mel7348 »

Sorry . Keith its the way you tellem
Life's too short to stuff a mushroom

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Deputy-I will give Nosheens a try,after first putting two rolls of Andrex in the freezer.

My local curry place here is Rafters in Ozankoy -the owner (Abbas) thinks I am barking mad(he may be right) when I ask for a nuclear phal with extra Naga chillies,despite being incredibly tasty and good value,I am just not getting that 'Where is the fire extinguisher' hit that I so crave.

As a side issue-I read some where that the executors of Johnny Cash's estate were approached by the makers Of 'Anusol' (or some similar Chalfont remedy)for use in one of their TV commercials-I believe the approach was declined.

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

I like the way Abbas is happy to do you any curry not on the menu. He said he simply does not have room on the menu for everything.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”